Garrelsweer Travel Guide

Your host: my brother! and partner!
    The interior
    Host doing some entertaining

Garrelsweer Things to Do

• Statue head

My father walking passed the statue right across the river Damsterdiep.Statue by the famous sculpture artist Wladimir de Vries.

• Monument

On May 5th each year the people of Garrelsweer lay flowers at this monument in honour of the death of WW II.A former habitant of the farmhouse in the previous tip was killed in Mauthausen and his name is on this monument too.

• Right from start again

when the vicar had fallen asleep the keeper said when the psalm was sung: let s start a new, perhaps that ll wake vicar...

• Gate

This is my dad opening the gate to the graveyard. He wanted to check something out yet it was a bit tough to open the gate.Haha, all the more time for me to get this picture :-)

• Overview

Part of the cemetry. At the upper middle/right is the house my brother lives in, hidden behind some old pear treas.These trees always have loads of pears and they are cooked and eaten. Snotty pears I used to call them when I was a kid. Haha, still not am too fond of eating them :-)

• Gravestone

dated 1630.This stone probably lay in the first church that stood here. It was a Roman (?) building with a separate tower facing East.At a certain time the congregation got enough money to build a new church and so the old one was torn down. Too bad the 'new' church now shows severe construction errors and the towers is leaning forward a bit. When...

• Farm at the Stadsweg

When I was a kid I played many a time in this house. Up stairs, in one of the bedrooms, is a cabinet that has a secret hiding place.During WW II some people were kept hidden here.Brrrr, I went in that cabinet...scary!

• Right across the path

of the house my brother lives in, is the graveyard. My father and I took a look at some of the graves, among which some real old ones.

• My younger brother got a new terrace

Wow this sure has turned out nice! Where once the chicken made a ruine of the garden now is a nice private terrace! I am impressed!

Garrelsweer Restaurants

by nighthawk Updated Feb 15, 2012

It is the one and only place in Garrelsweer where you can have a drink, eat some, and have fun with the great host! And language is no problem!

If you pass by in summertime, be sure to make a stop and rest some on the terrace which is just along the water!

Favorite Dish: I love the "berenhap", meatball with slices of onion in between .... but in general they go out of their way to pleasure you! Just ask, talk and I am sure you'll get what you like!

Your host: my brother! and partner! The interior Opening hours When there s a party, there s a dancefloor ... Host doing some entertaining
    • Beer Tasting

Garrelsweer Transportation

by nighthawk Written Dec 6, 2004

As you can see, Groningen isn t too far away and so are other larger places.
    Have travelled each way by bicycle .
    The country side is most beautiful in spring only i fear ;)

Directions
    • School Holidays

Garrelsweer Warnings and Dangers

• Mazda parking

ONLY!! I just love this sign! Too bad my brother s car weren t there ... he now drives a Dodge pick up lol

• Don t go wondering the fields with a...

This really is something I shouldn t be telling for it wasn t one of my smarter ideas.... ;-)I decided I wanted to look for the old mill way back in the fields and check it out. I decided to cycle there because I thought there would be some unpaved ways we could cycle over.Time had not stood still and neither had the growth of trees, grasses, omg!...

• Garrelsweer Hotels

0 Hotels in Garrelsweer

Garrelsweer Off The Beaten Path

by nighthawk Written Apr 25, 2007

For the last couple of years tulip fields can be spotted near the little village of Loppersum, some 6 km north of Garrelsweer.

At first I found it weird, as used as I was to seeing cows grazing or grain growing on the grounds where now tulips are growing.

But since it is such a wonderful sight it was not too hard to get used too ;)

• Photography

Garrelsweer Sports & Outdoors

• Baby bird

My father had 11 baby birds this year....3 died...such a pity ...You can see this is a baby bird because it has hardly a tail and fluffy feathers.

• Canaries

If you want to learn something about how to breed canaries of a certain go and talk to my dad. His speciality is breeding red canaries and he has even won a regional price with them.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Garrelsweer? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Garrelsweer Favorites

• Het Damsterdiep canal runs through...

This is a canal called het Damsterdiep .and the earlier name of this canal was called Delf. Nice houses on each side of the canal .

• Garrelsweer a nice little community in...

In 1957 Garrelsweer celebrated its 900 years so in 2007 thers will be another celebration and allready plans are being made for the celebration.

• A small Village with a big church.

It is nice to see such a lovely church ,it also has a very well kept cemetary .The church is very nice looking, and after several attempts to retsore this church it was finally demolished and in 1912 a newer church was built the church is a dutch reformed church.

Instant Answers: Garrelsweer

Comments

Map of Garrelsweer