Groningen Restaurants

Groningse Poffert at www.weeva.nl
    The menu at www.weeva.nl
    by ATLC
    Groningse black pudding at www.weeva.nl

Most Recent Restaurants in Groningen

Weeva: Local specialities

by ATLC Written May 8, 2013

Groningse Poffert at www.weeva.nl

I chose Weeva because it had local specialities. When we arrived we found out that the restaurant is in fact a kind of icon in Groningen. It opened in 1871 as a kitchen for the poor. Weeva means "Het “Woon- en Eethuis voor Allen" (living quarters and eatery for everyone).
    Next to it is the Martini hotel that is actually connected to the restaurant.

It closed down for a while and reopened again in a nostalgic atmosphere. While we were there, we saw one of the famous Groninger people, journalist Jacques d'Ancona moving around tables, greeting people. Which proves all the more that Weeva hasn't lost all of its iconic status.

Definitely a good place for a business lunch/dinner because the restaurant is big and tables are reasonably private.

Favorite Dish: I had the locally made black pudding with apple syrup and fried apples (Groninger bloedworst).
    That tasted good. For main I had calf's liver fried with onions and bacon. Also good.
    Dessert was a local speciality called 'poffert'. It looks a bit like a light, airy fruit cake with vanilla sauce. Personally I find it more of a cake to go with coffee at another hour of the day. But nice, nonetheless.

So, conclusion is that the food is good and properly prepared but not mindblowing, the service is old-fashioned but warm and welcoming.

• Business Travel

• great indonesian ricetabel

by indolover68 Written Oct 19, 2010

We have dinner in this restaurant for the first time, and it was great .
    I now a little bit about indonesian food from a freind of my, this was realy good and the nice wooden cats ( more than 300 ) give a good feeling.

Favorite Dish: The ricetabel the luxery , more than 23 different kinds of food.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

De Kostery: Aan de voet van de Martinitoren

by gordonilla Updated Jan 25, 2010
    Signage

I called in here, after visiting the local tourist information bureau. It was late on a Saturday afternoon in January. So I thought at least one coffee shop visit was called for during my stay. This was a good choice.

There is seating on two floors, I was upstairs with a view of the Grote Markt - and it was a charming and welcoming.

The staff were friendly and professional; I was served by Bouca and the other staff were also very chatty when I spoke to them.

Favorite Dish: coffee and apple pie with cream (the pie came from Timmerman)

they have a rteasonable lunc and hot food menu too.

Schimmelpenninckhuys: Schimmelpenninckhuys

by ATLC Updated Apr 12, 2008

GRONINGEN SCHIMMELPENNINCKHUYS

Schimmelpennick Huys Hotel is located within the heart of the City of Groningen, on 53 Oosterstraat. This elegant and charming Hotel-Café-Restaurant, which is a restored patrician's house, is situated a two minutes walk from the market square and right within the shopping and entertainment centre of the city; nearby are theatres, a concert hall and a casino.

The rich history of this patrician's house, as recorded in the city's archeological archives, begins with its foundation around. A.D. 1100. It is one of the ten most important historical monuments of Groningen.

There are 3 restaurants owned the Schimmelpenninckhuys: a fish restaurant (Parelvisser), the Restaurant Classique (where we ate) and Femme Grecque, a Greek restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Gourmet menu (5 course). In short: everything!
    4-course menu around € 40.00 (2002).

I was staying in Groningen for 2 nights (2002) because I was giving some in-company training to colleagues for 2 days. I arrived on Sunday and met up with my friend and we decided to eat here. We came in and found the restaurant completely deserted. Nevertheless we ordered the largest meal on the menu (5 courses I think it was) and that set the whole kitchen to work. For coffee and chocolates we retired to the hotel lounge and for this once we couldn't finish the chocolates! We rolled out of the place, satisfied and really too full!
    After a long day of training the next day, I simply made do with a bag of crisps, a bath and tv in my hotel room :-)

• Luxury Travel

't Gerecht: 't Gerecht

by ATLC Updated May 12, 2007

Nice bistro attached to the Hotel de Ville where I stayed with a friend for a weekend on a special offer. It's been a long time updating this tip so the only thing that I do remember is that the place was completely full with people and that we had a very nice meal.

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

Visit restaurant Ugly Duck or...

by sandravdp Updated Apr 5, 2007

*Note: I have recently heared from a VT member that cafe Rubio seems to be a gay cafe. So keep that in mind when you want to visit it.*

Visit restaurant Ugly Duck or café Rubio. They are next to eachother. At Rubio's you can have drinks and at the Duck you can eat.

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

Zotte Lotte has good daily...

by sandravdp Updated Apr 5, 2007

Note: * I have recently heared from a VT member they have closed Zotte Lotte*

Zotte Lotte has good daily dinners and the service here ( I saw it almost no where else) was exellent.
    You are allowed to eat sandwhiches from the bakery next to this restaurant / café at the terrace of Zotte Lotte. As long as you order drinks at Zotte Lotte :)

Favorite Dish: Icetea with a sandwhich.

'The four roses": Mexican Restaurant

by nighthawk Updated Feb 11, 2007

Mexican Restaurant 'The four Roses'.

The Four Roses has good (Dutch style) Mexican-American good but service is slow. It is often busy.

Thanks Joncee!

• Liquidshiva's Profile Photo

Thai Jasmine: Thai food in the far north of Holland!

by Liquidshiva Written May 16, 2006

Straigth from Thailand, a cook you have seen before in Bangkok (or at least I tought I did ;), and food that tastes like the real Thai.
    Choose from several dishes, like the hot salads (yam) the currys (red green or yellow), and not to forget the soups, (ever tasted a GOOD tom yam abroad?).
    Very friendly atmosphere, Thai beer, gosh.... what more to say, just if you are in the neighbourhood, go and spoil yourself!

Favorite Dish: I just love the red curry (fish, shrimps, or chicken), it tastes like being in Bangkok again!

• Work Abroad

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

The official opening of the...

by nighthawk Updated Jan 12, 2006

Feeling pinky ;)

The official opening of the pub on Friday, May 22nd 1998, with Johnny Logan performing live on stage, was already a great success. The interior is just like that of many other modern Irish pubs. On many of the tables they've placed candles on empty wine bottles. A remarkable feature is the Guinness Pipeline, through which of course the Guinness is not actually running, but this pipe is part of the heating system; it was painted black, with the words 'Guinness Pipeline' in gold letters. The waiters and waitresses are really nice people, who also serve drinks at your table. The usual drinks - for an Irish pub - are sold. If you order coffee, you'll get it in quite a big cup, not the small ones that Dutch cafe's usually have. The music that they play is a mix of Irish music (quite popular are for example The Waterboys, Riverdance, music from the film The Commitments, etc.) and general popular music (which certainly suits the atmosphere), both for about fifty percent. Live performances are held regularly. Unfortunately, the music is often played a bit too loud, especially late at night. In the daytime it is a lot more quiet, but still a pleasant atmosphere. The atmosphere is really great. Upstairs they also have a restaurant, which is about as large as the pub itself. The food is very good and not at all expensive. You can choose between several typical British and Irish meals.
    The pub is rather large; there is a large bar in the middle and a smaller one in the back part of the pub, which is about a metre lower than the main part. On top of this second bar is the stage where all the live performances take place, visible from almost everywhere in the pub. A very original idea to build it that way!

Favorite Dish: If you like it, you can take the fish and chips. Or try the Ceasar salad. The things I ate were reasonably good.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Stadtlander: The place to go .. either older or young ..

by nighthawk Updated Jan 12, 2006

Eeek!

Stadtlander
    Great restaurant, friendly waiters.

They got a kinda conservatory and that s the spot I like best .... clear view on pedestrians walking by and close to the door out ... I just love sitting near the entrance door ... beats sitting close by a toilet door lol

If you stand on the Great Market, face eastwards, tower Martini to your left and the cafe "De drie Gezusters" (the tree sisters) at your right, walk towards the Febo (where you can get a croquette or fricandel out of the wall). Cross the street in front of you (Oosterstraat, careful busy street, traffic coming only from the right, remember! bikes!). Walk right on till where the street narrows again and look at your right, if you walked like I told ya, you can see the "Stadtlander".

Favorite Dish: International kitchen, I can t define it in the list they give here, from what I have experienced, all was fine.

• drie gysters (?): three sisters

by cbr1100xx Written Jan 1, 2006

dutch food

Favorite Dish: the kangaroo [honest] was fantastic ,and I know its not very "pc" but the veal was great also the staff are willing to take time out ant talk to you and explain what the food is ,and as a bonus two of them were bikers ,a top place

• drie gysters (?): three sisters

by cbr100xx Written Jan 1, 2006

very nice staff on the last few days we were laughing and joking with them ,it made the holiday

Favorite Dish: believe it or not it was the kangaroo it was fantastic,and not very pc I know but the veal was fantastic aswell

• Motorcycle

wok restaurant ..: Ni Hao

by nighthawk Written Dec 20, 2005

Fresh food, well looked after, and grilled by the most friendly staff I have met for long.
    Eventhough it was frightfully busy, staff took time to talk some and to have a little fun, only drinks well, they took their time to bring them!

Favorite Dish: The fish wok .. mmmm

• PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

de Kostery: Great little cafe tucked in the corner

by PhillyJohn Updated May 27, 2005
    de Kostery cafe

We had our breakfast in Groningen here. It is a small place with a very pleasant atmosphere. I am not sure if it serves dinner, but they seemed prepared to serve breakfast or lunch.

I had my usual appelgebak & slagroom with coffee, my daughter had hot chocolate with appelgebak etc.
    The waitstaff were very friendly and helpful. Young college students, I think. Definitely a place for a light meal. Prices seemed reasonable

Favorite Dish: The hot chocolate was great, and I thought it was the best apple pie of the trip, and I had A LOT of apple pie on this trip!

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Groningen

Comments

Groningen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Groningen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Groningen sightseeing.