The Goudkantoor was built in 1635 it was then called Collectehuis. It was a taxoffice for city and surroundings. In 1814-1887 the building was used as a test bureau for gold and silver works. Since then the building had many uses: a naval museum, VVV-office and info desk for inhabitants of the city Groningen.
When the building was owned by the city they replaced the provincial shield for the city shield.
Today the building is in use as a restaurant.
The striking colors (red, ocre, gold and blue) are the original colors. Ofcourse the paint is not original.
The latin on the front: Date Caesari quae Caesaris means: Give the emperor what is from the emperor. These words date back from the time it was a tax office and taxes were for the emperor.
The Gold Office, or Goudkantoor, is one of the more striking old buildings in Groningen. It was originally the tax office of Groningen and later became the gold assay office.
Currently it is a restaurant.
The Goudkantoor (Gold Office) was built as the provincial tax office in 1635. The inscription 'Date Caesari quae sunt Ceasaris' or 'Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's' still refers to this function. With its richly decorated façades, this is the last building in Groningen that was built in Renaissance style. In fact, the building only received the name 'Goudkantoor' in the nineteenth century when the 'bureau van waarborg van goud en zilver' (office to safeguard gold and silver) settled here. The Goudkantoor was comprehensively restored in 1996. A restaurant has occupied the building since then.