Beside the Churchyard we see and old house, this house is 400 or 500 years old. This house was originally used as a friary by the 'Broeders des Gemenenlevens' (Brothers of the Common Life), a strict order that was primarily engaged in translating and copying books. Later it became the Princes’ house when Prince Maurits and Duke Willem Lodewijk occupied the building (hence the Prince’s Garden behind the building). The Prinsenhof was used as a stadholder's palace up until the times of the French possession. It was subsequently used as a military hospital from 1808 to 1916. Today is houses the Radio and TV Noord.
Beautiful secluded garden, enclosed by a wall, is one of the purest examples of Renaissance gardens in the Netherlands. As per their website, the Prinsenhof garden is open from the beginning of April to mid-October, from 10 a.m. until sunset. Entrance is through the white gate. The teashop is open when the weather is favourable.
This house was originally used by de Broeders des Gemenenlevens as a sort of monastery. In 1568 the first bishop of Groningen was based here. In 1594 prince Maurits and count Willem Lodewijk made it their home after Groningen took the side of the reformation. And until the french took over the Prinsenhof was used as the palace of the Stadtholder. From 1808 to 1916 it was a militairy hospital. And now it is in use by Radio and TV Noord, the broadcasters of north netherlands, as their office.
The Prinsenhof, originally built as a monastery in 1439 and from 1568 until 1576 the residence of the first bishop of Groningen. After Groningen took the side of the Reformation it became the palace of the stadtholders, who resided here until 1795. The complex, which was extensively modified in 1727, now houses the provincial broadcasting station.
The Princehof was the residence of the princes of Orange while they were in town. Its garden was designed in a dutch renaissance style and is extremely well-preserved. It's not large, but very precious.