The design of the synagogue is from architect Tjeerd Kuipers from Amsterdam and IJ. van der Veen from Groningen. The building represent different styles with the spanish-moorish style being on the upperhand.
The building was put in use 23 maart 1906. In 1952 it was sold and used as a drycleaner. The people of Groningen protested and in the 70s the building was restored and since 29 november 1981 it can be used as a synagoge again. And a part of the building still is today.
Open during expositions. Info at the v v v.
The synagogue is a design by Tj. Kuipers and Y. van der Veen from 1905-1906. It features a finely decorated facade in Rationalistic style mixed with Moresque influences. Unfortunately its located in such a narrow street that it can hardly be photographed well.
The design for the synagogue was the result of a joint effort between the Amsterdam architect Tjeerd Kuiper and the Groningen architect IJ. van der Veen. The building displays a mixture of influences. The overall impression is one of a thirteenth-century Spanish-Moorish style.