Hoogkerk Local Customs

Best Rated Local Customs in Hoogkerk

April 30th...Queen's Day.

by nighthawk Updated May 14, 2003

clown Hoogkerk

As each year, we celebrate the birthday of our former queen.
    My neighbourfriend has moved to Norway so this time there would be no at home after parties with wine, laughter and music.
    It was as if the weather knew, for in the afternoon it started to rain.
    It was a good day, bought some bargains (plastic stuff for the caravan), had laughs with the kids, and ate out.

On the photograph you see are neighbour dressed as a clown. She and her hubby made ballon figures most of the day.

It seems people dress up less and less each year for I noticed I draw quite some attention in my orange/grey outfit.

Snail race!

by nighthawk Written Jan 24, 2003

A game my kids loved to play when they got back from the so called 'Avondvierdaagse', four days of a week in may, each evening a walk of 5 or 10 km.
    They stuffed their raincoat pockets with snails and back home let the snails 'race' on the kitchen table....
    Lol, they were in luck...I needed coffee! BADLY!!

Respect

by nighthawk Written Nov 15, 2005

It is good to see these kind of posters when walking through the city. These days respect sometimes is a rare thing. Haha, and being a mom .. well you can imagine I like it ...
    Hopefully kids learn from it and remember when they have an argument with their mum .. it was a well visited clothing shop just across the Hennes & Mauritz clothing shop so I am pretty sure it gets noticed.

The second photographs is taken in near the A-bridge, real close to city center. The city is very proud of having the best cityheart of the Netherlands and expect lots of positive effects like more tourists and more money in the pocket ;)

Last photograph is taken on the entrance road to the city, coming from Hoogkerk on the Hoendiep.
    The people of Hoogkerk are happy to have this sign still, despite being part of the city ever since 1968 for most suburbs from the city only have the name on a white sign and not in blue.
    Blue shows the indepence of our little village and that s good ... as long as the municipality does support Hoogkerk financially to still expand and grow ;) .

• Study Abroad

Baby titmouse

by nighthawk Written Aug 29, 2004
    Titmouse

One spring I was so excited! Mum & dad titmouse had a nest in the bird house in my garden!
    One day I heard a little titmouse cry for help and when my girl and I went looking, a cat was playing with one baby titmouse.
    Of course we rescued it and my girl was so happy she got to hold it in her hand!
    That photograph will be in the next tip, here s the little bird after we set it free.

• Birdwatching

Daughter holding baby titmouse

by nighthawk Written Aug 29, 2004
    Holding titmouse

These are the hands of my youngest daughter, she s holding the titmouse ever so gently!
    She couldn t wait for me to finish photographing because she wanted to pet the birdy, she was very much surprised how soft it was.
    We then set it free in the bushes close to the bird s nest.

• Photography
    • Birdwatching

Eat an orange tompoes!

by nighthawk Written Apr 30, 2003

Tom poes

Haha I can tell ya! it tasted delicious! this cream filled puffy pastry!
    Any of you English tongued guys/girls know what a shorter description is for this?

Instant Answers: Hoogkerk

Comments

Hoogkerk Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Hoogkerk local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hoogkerk sightseeing.