Maastricht Restaurants

Marion and Niels at Hotel La Colombe.
    Enjoying our late lunch.
    by Jerelis
    The four of us enjoying Maastricht.

Best Rated Restaurants in Maastricht

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

La Cloche: great view, good price

by gkitzmil Updated Feb 22, 2005

LA CLOCHE

Located in the main square of the Vrijthof this is one of many cafe's or pubs. LaCloche is more pub than restaurant but serves great Belgian beers and good food. We a wonderful lunch for my first meal in Maastricht. And we sat outside on 11 January with a heat lamp overhead just to take away any chill.

Favorite Dish: Kip Pastetje -- a chicken stew with pastry puff

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Giovanni: My favorite spot for pizza

by gkitzmil Written Feb 12, 2005

da Giovanni - Markt

There are many Italian restaurants but the friendly staff at Giovanni convinced me to eat here rather often. Most of the time when I pass they wave at me now. There is a beautiful view overlooking the Markt (marketplace). The interior is quite nice and they have enough space for large groups in the back. It is at left in the photo and I WILL take another picture soon. I pass here 2 - 10 times a day

Favorite Dish: Pizza -- I love the oven baked pizza here!

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Frituur 'Kleine Gracht': Wonderful "Frites" or "Fries"

by gkitzmil Written Feb 21, 2005

FRITUUR

Of the three places to get Frites near my house this is the best -- not the most popular. They always make the frites fresh and they are delicious. This is down a small cobblestone street from the Markt next to Hotel Borda.

Favorite Dish: Frites (or fries)

Cafe Tribunal: Dine or have coffee in antiquity

by gkitzmil Written Feb 22, 2005

TRIBUNAL

This is another small Cafe and this one feels 300 years old inside (maybe it is older). I feel it is ideal place for coffee or a mid-day meal. If you want to find a local cafe (no tourists -- but now I've spoiled that haven't I) just walk south from the Vrijthof following the paved (not cobblestone) road until you see this Cafe -- right where Tongerseestraat starts.

Café Charlemagne: Lovely Café on the Onze Lieve Vrouweplein

by BillNJ Updated Jun 14, 2008

On my first night in Maastricht, I had dinner at the Café Charlemagne on the Onze Lieve Vrouweplein. Before my trip, I had made plans to meet VTer Ger (Ger4444) there. Unfortunately, Ger was unable to meet me because he wasn't feeling well.

First, I should note that the Onze Lieve Vrouweplein is one of the most picturesque pleins (squares) in Maastricht -- or anyplace in the world for that matter. It is named after the Romanesque Basilica of Our Lady that is the centerpiece of the plein.

The Café Charlemagne is one of the many sidewalk cafés and pubs located on this lovely plein. On this evening, I ate outside and enjoyed the great atmosphere. To eat, I had satay, fries, and a salad. The satay was served with a delicious peanut sauce. I learned that, since the island group of Indonesia used to be a colony of the Netherlands, Indonesian dishes such as satay are served at many restaurants. To drink, I had a Wieckse Witte (See Local Customs Tip on Wieckse Witte).

In sum, Café Charlemagne is a great spot to enjoy a meal outside on the lovely Onze Lieve Vrouweplein.

Favorite Dish: Satay with peanut sauce

Café Jour De Fête: Terrific French Café on the Markt

by BillNJ Updated Jun 14, 2008

Café Jour De Fête is one of the many cafés located on the Markt which is one of the larger pleins (squares) in Maastricht. It has a large outdoor seating area. Like most of the sidewalk cafés, you can just seat yourself where you like -- and a waiter or waitress will take your order.

It was early afternoon when I visited -- and the weather was fantastic. First, I enjoyed a cappuccino. Then, since I was in the Province of Limburg, I decided to order some Limburger cheese. Of course, Limburger cheese is best known for its pungent odor -- which was not as strong as I thought it would be. It was soft and spreadable -- and it was served with a delicious baguette. After I was finished eating, I ordered a Lipton iced tea filled with delicious, fresh fruit. On a warm, sunny day, I highly recommend sitting outside on the Markt in Maastricht with one of these delicious iced teas at the delightful Café Jour De Fête!

Favorite Dish: Iced tea filled with delicious, fresh fruit

Pieke Potloed: Wonderful Restaurant with a Burgundian Atmosphere

by BillNJ Updated Jun 29, 2008

On a tip from VTer Ger (Ger4444), I ate at the restaurant Pieke Potloed on my second night in Maastricht. It is located on a narrow street in the center of the city. They have seating inside, including a nice bar. They also have a large outdoor terrace in the back covered by umbrellas. Since the weather was great on the evening that I visited, I ate outside on the terrace.

The atmosphere is relaxing, and the staff seems genuinely interested that you enjoy your dining experience. My waiter was both professional and very friendly.

On my waiter's suggestion, I enjoyed the restaurant's specialty -- pickled rabbit. It was served with a brown sauce, fries, and a salad. I highly recommend this dish if you want to try something that is both unique and tasty while in Maastricht.

To drink, I started with a La Chouffe which is a fine Belgian beer. I followed that up with a Wieckse Rosé (see Local Customs tip for review). After my dinner, I enjoyed a regular coffee with a delicious crème brûlée topped with vanilla ice cream.

If you want to enjoy a great meal in a delightful Burgundian atmosphere, Pieke Potloed is an excellent choice!

Favorite Dish: Pickled rabbit - the house specialty

Pinky: Great waffles near the VVV

by BillNJ Updated Jun 20, 2008

Near the VVV, there is a small shop named Pinky that serves great Belgian-style waffles. More accurately, these waffles are of the rectangular, Brussels variety. See my Liège page for more information on the oval, Gauffres de Liège (Waffles of Liège). You really need to try both varieties!

Favorite Dish: Waffles

• sachara's Profile Photo

Gauchos: Meeting at the Vrijthof in Argentinian style

by sachara Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gauchos terrace at the Vrijthof.

The Gauchos grill restaurant is nicily situated at the northern edge of the Vrijthof Square and has anattractive pavement café on the Square. The evening for our VT meeting at the 21th august we decided to have our pre VT dinner in this Argentinian grill restaurant.

It was a perfect location for this meeting. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere, not the traditional western cowboy style like some other Gauchos restaurants in this chain. The food was delicious food. From the restaurant we could have a look in the open kitchen.

Favorite Dish: We had different meals...of course mainly meat like many kind of steaks, the gigantic T-bone steak, spare ribs, spiced chicken, potatoes with sour cream and a salad bar.

• Wine Tasting

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

De Spiegel: The center of Maastricht

by Luchonda Updated Mar 7, 2005

Sunny side up

Raymond and Marijke opened this restaurant/Bistro in november 2004 and will invite you for a delicious and payable meal in the historical center of Maastricht.
    - Salads and soups
    - Indonesian food
    - Sandwiches
    And all this in a perfect ambience with "Caribbean" music - they made my day !

Favorite Dish: A vegetarian meal - not mentioned on the list,
    customer made and on top a fried egg

• Pizzeria Napoli: Huge pizzas

by sabsi Written Aug 17, 2003

The giant pizza has landed

The restaurant we had dinner at during the VT meeting seemed to be a really popular place with the locals. And I know why: The pizzas here - that weren't exactly cheap - were very tasty and absolutely huge.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Hawaii with ham, pineapple and garlic. Actually all the pizzas looked excellent.

• D'n Ingel: Snacks outdoors

by sabsi Updated Aug 17, 2003

The club sandwich

The cafe where we met at the VT meeting in August 2003. We had a table outside and had lunch here. They served a lof of snacks here - typical Dutch ones and international ones as well. The interieur of the bar was very cosy - it was quite dark and there are a lot of angels everywhere.

Favorite Dish: I had a club sandwich that was filled with chicken and bacon bits, tomato, cucumber and a tasty cocktail sauce. It was served with Nachos - an interesting combination!

• sachara's Profile Photo

Vrijthof terraces

by sachara Updated Sep 13, 2005

Vrijthof

Maastricht is the city of the Burgondian life style and also the city to sit on terraces. So, it can´t miss you will end at the Vrijthof at one of the terraces during your visit. I sat there during the day and in the night. Also at chilly days it´s still nice to sit outdoors due to the heaters.

The Vrijthof in Maastricht is one of the most known squares in the Netherlands. Often I hear people comparing other squares with the Vrijthof, now everywhere in the country the amount of terraces is growing.

Sitting at the terrace at the Vrijthof you have a nice view at the St Servaas church and St Jans church at the opposite of the square. In front of the terraces you can take the city tram, the double decker or horse carriage fro a city tour.

Favorite Dish: You can eat here, but till now I took mainly drinks and some snacks....

• Wine Tasting

• dila's Profile Photo

grand café D'n Ingel: great meeting place

by dila Written Aug 19, 2003

caf��

i had only a drink because we had eaten in the hotel.
    but a lot of others ordered something to eat and it looked great.
    open from 10.00 to 2.00
    kitchen open from 10.00 to 23.00.
    on the picture no food yet.

Favorite Dish: most of them had sandwiches

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Eetcafe Rekko: Where To Try The New Season White Asparagus

by johngayton Updated Aug 28, 2010

Deconstructed Asparagus Hollandaise

On Maastricht's main square, the Vrijthof, there's a row of terraced cafes looking over the square to the western city's two main churches, St Jan's and St Servaas.

Although the cafes are all sort of a oneness to the casual eye each has its own specialities and at Eetcafe Rekko its much-trumpeted recommendation during my visit was the new season white asparagus.

That made for an easy decision as to where to eat and the next door cafe with its frenzy of football fans (the Dutch having won their World Cup quarter-final match that afternoon) added a celebratory atmosphere to what is already a characterful cafe.

Service was casually efficient, the rest of the menu (which is available in several languages) read well and partitioning out the football frenzy the clutch of customers seemed a mix of locals and fellow tourists.

Favorite Dish: The specials page of the menu offered the asparagus done several different ways. I'd refused the offer of the English version and so perhaps didn't quite get the nuances of the cleverer stuff on offer. But then I'm a simple soul at heart and and had already decided that I just wanted it done "traditionally".

HA! To me (bearing in mind that I'm a professional cook) "traditional" means asparagus finished with a buttery, eggy "Hollandaise" sauce. Here it was done as a deconstructed version. The white spears came well-buttered, the egg being grated hard-boiled, copiously garnishing the dish. A couple of slices of local ham gave the plate an unexpected meatiness, a peppery rocket salad added some greenery and the waxy new potatoes tastily provided the starch.

This was good and the 14.50 Euro price tag more than reasonable. Washed down with a couple of Leffe Blondes (well maybe it was three) the excellent service, made rounding up the final bill to 25 totally painless.

Digressing slightly - I really enjoyed this meal but I do still prefer our own home-grown English asparagus as IMO our green asparagus has much more intensity of flavour but I might just do a variation of the deconstructed version next May when our season (asparagus that is not football) kicks off.

• Singles

Instant Answers: Maastricht

Comments

Maastricht Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Maastricht restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maastricht sightseeing.

Maastricht Members Meetings