The Maharishi is well known in Roermond and its surroundings. This guy is an Indian guru / spiritual leader who set camp in the village of Vlodrop. In nature reserve De Meijnweg he has his house, a palace in Indian Style, and his own Univesity.
In fact, the Maharishi even has it's own currency, the Maharishi Dollar (RAAM). It's accepted as valid method of payment on the site of the maharishi and some places in Vlodrop and Roermond accept it as well. And his excentricness doesn't stop there, recently he bought the highest hill in the netherlands, also the border with Belgium and Germany.
To see his palace, follow the signs to the University (it's signposted when you reach Vlodrop) or ask locals as it's hidden quite deep in the forrest.
Nature reserve De Meinweg
A rather large site of nature is nature park "De Meinweg". It's a forrest stretching in the border area between the Dutch and German border. There are several walking trails and mountainbiking / horesbackriding is possible as well.
The area is slightly hilly, though it's nothing compared to Southern-Limburg.
Interesting thing you might see are:
- Vipers, venemous little snakes. Don't worry, they are too shy, and a bite is not fatal.
- The Maharishi. His palace is hidden in the woods. See my other tip for more info.
- The railtrack, known as Iron Rhine. It was used for cargo transport but is not in operation anymore. However, there are controversial planns to get the track opened up for railcargo again.
To get here, follow the "Keulse Baan road" for a couple of miles, after you have passed the industrial sites you will see the forest on your left.
- National/State Park
- Hiking and Walking
Go see a small pretty village,
Vlodrop is a 10 minute drive by car from Roermond, busses leave for Vlodrop every hour (via Herkenbosch).
Vlodrop is a quiet and piecefull village, with a handfull of bars/restaurants, a market square, a church.. and that's about it. You're near to the nature reserve and the river "Roer" streams to the north of the village. It's a good start point for a walk or a cycling tour. The market square contains a map of an extensive cycling network throughout the region.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates