Vaals Restaurants

Cafe Location (as the bus passed)
    by johngayton

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Ijssalon Italia: Scrummy Strudel

by johngayton Updated Sep 6, 2010

Lunch in Vaals

There's quite a few attractive looking restaurants and patisseries on Vaals' main street and I chose this one because its terrace was fairly busy.

I hadn't realised it was an ice-cream place until I read the menu. This was written in Dutch, although the friendly waiter seemed to be Italian, but that wasn't a problem as the pictures told the story.

Favorite Dish: I'd actually fancied a savoury lunch after my ascent (and subsequent descent) of the mountain but the desserts looked too good to pass up on and so I opted for the Strudel Complet.

This was a classic with its warm flaky sweet pastry encasing its cinnamon-scented, generously plump, apple and sultana filling. A couple of blobs of rich vanilla ice-cream and a scoosh of whipped cream kept the calorie-counter ticking whilst the white chocolate sauce was a definitely decadent finishing touch.

Washed down with a cup of good Italian coffee I think my final bill was still under 5 Euros and I certainly needed the calories after my mountaineering LOL ;))

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Hotel Kasteel Bloemendal: Hotel Kasteel Bloemendal

by myriam_c Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pic from hotel website

This château, dating back from the 18th century, is a very nice setting for hotel-restaurant Bloemendal.
    The restaurant is in one of the wings of the castle. It's a bit too huge for my taste, nevertheless it was beautifully furnished with nice large tables and comfy chairs. Furthermore high ceilings and French windows looking out on the nice landscaped park.

Favorite Dish: We had lunch here.
    While we were looking on the menu we were each served two fresh rolls together with a plate with herb butter and good quality dairy butter.
    My partner had a nice piece of cod baked on the skin.
    I had the mixed fish platter (5 sorts): cod baked on the skin, 2 tiger shrimps, 2 grilled coquilles St. Jacques, grilled sea bass and poached salmon. All this on a bed of veggies (carrots and French beans) and served with a small amount of cream sauce.
    On the side some mixed salad and parsley potatoes.
    It was delicious!

Instant Answers: Vaals

Comments

Vaals Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Vaals restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vaals sightseeing.