Baarle-Nassau Travel Guide

• Favorites
    by MATIM

Baarle-Nassau Things to Do

• Brouwershuis

This is one of the highlights of this place, a beer shop annex cafe. When I came here the first time (must have been in 1994) they had a huge choice of beers, mainly Belgian ones but also from more exotic countries. I used to come here regularly to buy some beers that were hard to find elsewhere. They are after all a bit expensive. More recently...

• Nat at the border

As you can see in this picture Nat is just on the border here, on the left it is the Netherlands and on the right it is Belgium. Thanks goodness they uses the Euro now, before I could never calculate with Belgium franks.

• The border

I am not really sure what there is to see here, well, when you walk around, just check out, some places are in the Netherlands and some are in Belgium. So, in a way it is very funny :-)

Baarle-Nassau Hotels

Baarle-Nassau Restaurants

• Family friendly Brouwershuis

The Brouwershuis is also family friendly place, I mean, especially during the summer when the terrace is open, I think that in the next time when I am around with my kids I know I can bring them here with me as well.

• The old classic bar of Brouwershuis

This is the old classic bar at the Brouwershuis, but because we were there in a nice warm day in the summer we did not really feel like sitting inside and we used the nice terrace at the backyard.

• The boss of Brouwershuis

As I said, we had excellent VIP service here and this is including also a visit of the place boss, he was very nice and kind and of course he invited us to write and sign also the guest book, and you should see that, the three of us used all the strange languages we know how to write beside English, French & Spanish, which included Serbian, Finnish...

• The three of us at the Brouwershuis

And here are the three of us, which was, I assume after we had as many beers as we could drink and we already finish the food as well.

• Mushrooms at the Brouwershuis

I almost forgot, between the beers we had something small to eat, it was those fried mushrooms, going very good with the beers and after those and the beers I did not really needed to have any real dinner.

• Kwak at the Brouwershuis

Not only that we got some of the best beers in the world here, and we got special VIP service here, one of my companions for the beer drinking here was this girl from Beer Bottle Crossing, and oh boy, she knows how to drink beer ;-)

• At the Brouwershuis

At the Brouwershuis we got really VIP service, well, not surprising, they do not get as often crazy visitors like us here, and not surprising, our waiter just fall in love with Nat and spoiled us so much.

• Brouwershuis

This place is actually the reason why I visited this town, it is a beer store and bar with few hundreds beers to choose from. Service was wonderful and the feeling in this place is like sitting in your neighbour back yard

• Local experience

There are quite a few cafes and restaurants in the city center where you could have a meal or just a cup of coffee or both. Terraces are always full when the weather is nice. The Belgian-Dutch border is running through the cafes' area so you can actually sit in one restaurant while the attached one belongs to another country.

Baarle-Nassau Nightlife

• Nat at the Tourmalet'

And, of course, to have customers is one thing, but having Nat as your customer is even better, just look at this smile, no explanation needed, yes, a cigarette and a beer.

• The bartender in Tourmalet

As you can see in this picture, the bartender was really busy LOL, actually the bartender seems to us very bored and he was very happy to get few customers that afternoon

• Tourmalet

We figure out that we have some time till our bus goes back to Breda and we were really bored, and then we saw this bar so we decided to step in and see how is it....

Baarle-Nassau Transportation

• Parking

There are lots of parking spaces all over the village but you may have to look for them. You can even park your car in two countries at the same time if you want and if you know where to do it (at the square behind the former station). Almost a shame that parking is for free, I wonder which country would claim the fee if you'd park too long.

• Bus

There are buses all day long from Breda, ride was about 30 minutes, I do not remember the price or which bus number, I did kept the ticket, it is somewhere here on my desk, when I will find it I will add more details.

• To Baarle Nassau by bus

I'm sure there are many ways to get to Baarle Nassau but the one I know about is taking bus #132 from Breda. It leaves every hour from the central bus startion which is right by Breda's train station. Before taking the bus make sure you have the ticket card which will be stamped by the driver. You can get the card at the vending machine of the...

Baarle-Nassau Shopping

• Beer

Het Brouweshuis (see must-see activities) is not the only place in the village where you can buy beer. De Biergrens is another option. Biergrens means 'beer border'. You probably guessed it; the border runs right through it. That has its advantages. Two countries, two different policies and tax systems.Anyway, it's not only beer they sell here....

• Beer shop

I heard that this place is popular for shopping, but for me, the only interesting item to buy here is beer, and the store is Petrus Brouwershuis, where you can buy beer for home or just drink at the bar. Beer of course

• Beer again.... what else?

At the entrance to the Petrus Brouwershuis you'll find a small store that sells bottled beers and beer glasses. It is a bit overpriced but sometimes it's nice to get something for the good memories. Just don't buy the Kwak glasses there, theyr cost 13 Euro which is way too much money. You can always find them in beer stores in Belgium for a cheaper...

Baarle-Nassau Local Customs

• Ename

At the Brouwershuis the beers came one after another, when I finish one, a new one came to the table, all fits in taste and strength to fits to each other.After the Sloeber I had this Ename, which is great one and no doubt one of my favourites.

• Sloeber

OK, so, I do not know much about the local customs here, but I came for the beer and I will just add here the list of those I did try at the Brouwershuis.So, that was the first one, Sloeber.

• Kwak

The 4th beer I had the at the Brouwershuis was one of the famous ones, it was Kwak, but I must admit, I am not sure if it is so popular because of its quality or the way it is serves with the glass and wooden handle.

Baarle-Nassau Warnings and Dangers

• Don't come on a Sunday

Don't come on a Sunday, when the numerous BMW's and Mercedeses in the streets indicate that people from bad neighbourhoods in the area (read: Tilburg) come to do their shopping*. Yes, Baarle is a real bad taste-paradise with numerous shops selling cheap cigarettes, fireworks, kitsch, sex toys and ugly clothes. It's fun to watch the people and enjoy...

• The tourists

And those massive tourists, after finishing with photos taking and shopping, then they go on and drinking, as much as they can and fast as they can.

• Large amounts of tourists

I cannot think about any danger here, well, maybe beside the popularity of this place for shopping and the large amounts of tourists here, and they just take photos of everything

Baarle-Nassau Tourist Traps

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

by Nathalie_B Updated Aug 4, 2004

As a tourist in Baarle Nassau/Hertog you'll probably want to step by the local tourist info office to get some information about the city. Unfortunately there's not that much you'll be able to get. All the brochures are in Dutch and cost money. The only information you'll be able to get is a A4 size page with brief explanations about the town. You'll probably be offered to purchase a brochure (In Dutch only) which takes you to the city walk. Well the city is too small to pay 2,50 Euro for some information that is not even written in your language.

Fun Alternatives: Instead of wasting your time in the tourist office make some search on Internet or simply ask locals, they'll be happy to help. As I already said, the town is very small and you won't get lost or miss any big tourist attractions.

Baarle-Nassau Off The Beaten Path

• MATIM's Profile Photo

by MATIM Written Sep 28, 2012

The city centre of Baarle exists of two municipalities: Baarle-Nassau and Baarle-Hertog.
    This unique situation is best shown by the serveral city name sighs you will see in Baarle. Nowhere in the world, two municipalities from different countries are so interwined as in Baarle. In the city centre, both the Dutch as the Belgian area are eqeally divided. The borders run crisscrossing through roads, houses and buildings. Special signs on the pavement as well as at the road will show you the border. The house numbers are equipped with a Dutch or Belgian country flag. Showing you which country the house belongs to. But there is also a very large interwining on socio-cultural, economic and adminstrative rights. For example the many mixed associations and organizations, the international library and the joint fire brigade.

Baarle-Nassau Favorites

• De pomp(en)

There are two pumps (pomp) in the city centre. Both are classified as national monuments.One pump is a water pump and is situated in front of the Dutch town house. It dates from the French period (1809) and is therefore similar to the water pumps you will see on many squares in typical French villages. The other pump is the name of the pub which...

• Civic crests

You will find both civic crests on the pavement in front of restaurant Den Engel. From that point the border line is also indicated with old cobblestones, which remarks the first time that they showed visitors the border line in Baarle.

• De Baarlese grenspaal

You will find a boundary stone in the city centre. in front of the Saint Remigius church.This is a look-a-like of the official boundary stone and is placed here in 1976 in memory of the official establishment of the border between the Netherlands and Belgium between boundary stone 214 and 215. Both numbers are listed on this boundary stone.

Instant Answers: Baarle-Nassau

Comments

Explore Deeper into Baarle-Nassau
O.L vrouw van Bijstand church