The Grave Beguinage, just a single house remains of what was once the Grave beguinage, were the beguines used to live, they formed a lay sisterhood of the Roman Catholic church.
The memorial was designed by Robert Melsen and erected on 18th September 1994.
The caption reads "On 17 September 1944, during the Second World War, the Maas Bridge at Grave was captured by "E" Company of the 2nd Battalion, 504th PIR, 82nd US Airborne Division. On 19 September 1944 the first tanks of the XXX British Army Corps rolled across this bridge. on 21st September 1944 the defense of the southern approach to the Maas Bridge was taken over by the Royal Brigade "Princess Irene". This liberation sign has been placed in honour of those who fought for our freedom and gave their lives for our sake. They will live on in our memory forever. 17 September 1944- 17 September 1994"
Grave Bridge is a 9 span, 600m long bridge.
It was the most southerly objective of the 82nd Airborne Division. E Company of 2nd Battalion landed in the fields 600m away at 13:05 on 17th September 1944. Colonel Tucker wanted to took the bridge from both end as he said "It tended to confuse the enemy".
Lieutenant John S Thompson and sixteen men headed across the river, wading in water sometimes up to their necks and took the southern end of the bridge. They were met shortly afterwards by a patrol of the main 504th PIR from the northern side.
It was not until 08:20 on 19th September that the bridge was crossed by British armour after the Son Bridge had been successfully been repaired by a Bailey Bridge.