Roosendaal Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Roosendaal

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Tullepataon - A Local Secret?

by johngayton Updated Nov 29, 2013

Favorite thing: In the centre of Roosendaal's main square, Markt, is this sculpture. Judging by the artwork around it, it's obviously something to do with the local Carnaval. However, having now spent several hours researching it I'm not finding very much in the way of hard information.

This website: http://www.tullepetaonsnieuws.nl provides loads of clues, and some great pictures but doesn't lead me any further as to exactly what the "Tullepataon" actually is and how it became the symbol of the Carnaval.

Googling "Tullepataon" only brings me back to the above link and so I can only conclude that this is a made-up mythical beast which has been created by the locals and that they like to keep things as mysterious as possible.

It looks like a fun Carnaval though and maybe I'll try to time a future visit to coincide with it.

UPDATE - My good friend PJ informs me, in his comment below, that "Tullepataon" is derived from the French "Poule Pintade" - Guinea Fowl in English, Parelhoen in Dutch. From my own research the Carnaval takes place 6 weeks before Easter and begins on the Saturday morning with a procession of floats at 11.11 am. It is celebrated for three days, during which period the town adopts the name "Tullepataonstad". I won't make next year's but I've pencilled the 14th to 17th February 2015 into my diary.

• Festivals

Around The Markt

by johngayton Written Nov 28, 2013

Favorite thing: As with most Dutch towns and small cities Roosendaal's commercial and social life radiates out from its central square, here simply known as the Markt. This is where most of the popular bars, cafes and restaurants congregate with the Town Hall and the main church, Sint Janskerk at the far end.

Despite its border location the town managed to escape the worst of the destruction visited on many other Dutch town centres during the Second World War and so most of its central buildings date from the early 19th century when it was granted "City Rights" by Napoleon.

The main shopping streets and malls radiate from the Markt and the whole area is mostly pedestrianised.

• Beer Tasting

• johngayton's Profile Photo

A Pretty Cool Place To Live!

by johngayton Written Nov 28, 2013

Favorite thing: When wandering around the town I kept getting glimpses over the rooftops of this water tower and so I just had to find it. Every time I thought I was close I'd lose sight of it and because it's tucked away in a residential area it's not easily approached directly.

However I found it at last and quite impressive it is too.

The tower was built in 1916 as part of the municipal water supply and was decommissioned in the 1970's. It was renovated in 2000 and turned into four apartments, accessed by an internal staircase. Because it is a listed building all its main features have been preserved and I should imagine the upper apartment has great views.

• Architecture

A Proper Pub!

by johngayton Written Nov 28, 2013

Favorite thing: It was when the landlady asked, "Would you like an ashtray?" that I fell in love with both her and her pub.

I'd been wandering the town for an hour or so, just generally taking in the laid-back atmosphere, enjoying its little parks and doing my usual random things such as searching out the watertower which I kept getting glimpses of over the rooftops.

It was still a bit too early for lunch but it was definitely heading towards beer time. I'd already passed Cafe Montparnasse, at Raadhuisstraat 68, on my way down the street and it had tweaked my beer nose as looking worth a visit. Retracing my route I soon found it again but it didn't look as if it was open, it seemed in darkness and the "Te Huur" (For Rent) sign in the top window reinforced my impression.

Just to make sure I peeked through the glass-fronted door through which I could see the lit bar area and a cheerily-waving woman ushering me in.

Fondest memory: Cafe Montparnasse is one of the dying breed of proper drinking bars, the so-called "cafes bruins". That's not to say that it's in any way dilapidated, in fact it is quite characterfully decorated and furnished but its people that define, to me, what proper pubs are about.

Here I was instantly at ease. My first beer was soon forthcoming and then the offer of the aforementioned ashtray had me wanting to move in. As the first customer of the day the landlady and I had a chance to shoot the proverbial bull. She was suitably impressed by the fact that I was a bona-fide, camera-toting tourist, "We don't get many tourists here in Roosendaal." We swapped potted biographies. She's a country girl from a small village on the outskirts of Breda and for her Roosendaal, sleepy though it may be, is where it all happens.

As other customers arrived, all of whom were regulars, introductions were made and handshakes exchanged. One beer became two and tempted though I was to make an all-afternoon session of it I reckoned one more beer would have resulted in having to write-off the rest of my day and so I regretfully made my farewells and headed back into the Markt in search of lunch, of the solid nature.

Doing a little post-trip research it looks as if Montparnasse is the place to be in the evenings if you enjoy a lively regulars bar and so next visit...

Here's their FB page as a taster: https://www.facebook.com/cafemontparnasse68

• Beer Tasting

A Colourful Introduction

by johngayton Written Nov 28, 2013

Favorite thing: The route from the railway station into the town centre takes you through this delightful little park, the Emile van Loonpark. Emile van Loon was a 19th century councillor and alderman for Roosendaal and the park was built as the private gardens for his townhouse which faces onto the Markt.

The park became public in the 1930's and his rather magnificent townhouse, after being used for many years as the town hall, is now the frontage for the local library.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Roosendaal

Comments

Roosendaal Favorites

Reviews and photos of Roosendaal favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Roosendaal sightseeing.