Alkmaar Restaurants

Cyrille and Iris having lunch.
    Sam and his sandwich.
    by Jerelis
    The old Dutch cheese sandwich.

Best Rated Restaurants in Alkmaar

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Portofino Restaurant: Good value Italian meals

by toonsarah Written Apr 1, 2007

This is a very reasonable Italian restaurant in the centre of town beside one of the canals. The menu includes all the usual pasta dishes and a good selection of pizzas, plus additional meat and fish entrees. We ate here with a group of friends before the football match. I chose straciattella soup and spaghetti al arabiatta. The soup was good as was the arabiatta sauce, but the spaghetti was a little over-cooked for my taste. Portions were generous and the bread with herb butter that arrived automatically on our table (and was topped up without asking) was excellent, as was the Warsteiner beer. The service was friendly and the bill per person for two courses and two small beers was just 20 euros.

Favorite Dish: The bread and butter!

Portofino Restaurant, Alkmaar

Hof van Alkmaar: Hof van Alkmaar

by ATLC Written Nov 14, 2004

Yes, I like this place. First of all its old architecture. It has a tower where one can dine in a super romantic setting (2-4 persons). You can sit outside on a nice summer day and watch the bustle of city life pass you by.
    You're welcomed by a nice young man. All the staff are young actually. But good service. We discussed a possible dinner for 100 people. We got our drinks for free.
    And were allowed to look everywhere. They do mystery dinners too. And on exiting, the nice young man asked if we had everything we needed to know.

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate with whipped cream?!

HOF VAN ALKMAAR

• Sprucebeer's Profile Photo

Hof van Alkmaar: Sunny side up!

by Sprucebeer Updated Jan 3, 2005

I’m not sure how to classify this restaurant, maybe French cuisine? I would say the menu is varied. The Hof van Alkmaar is a romantic restaurant with a beautiful courtyard. It used to be the St. Maria Magdalena monastery and later the residence of the Prince of Oranje, Diederik Sonoy. We happened to stop for lunch there and in comes a reception for a wedding from across the street at the Stadhuis. Was a beautiful afternoon and the courtyard was a perfect place for such and occasion.

I can't believe we didn't take a picture of the place. We did however get it on video

Favorite Dish: I had the Soep en de dag (soup of the day), which was a cheese soup. Was very yummy. I forget the price; I think it was around €4. My husband enjoyed the Hollandaise biefstuk.

• Business Travel
    • Architecture

Former EFES, now Agam: Tender Turkish delights

by pieter_jan_v Updated May 16, 2015

This restaurant is located in one of the many small streets in the old Alkmaar city center. The street is called FNIDSEN, what is derived from the word VENICE (Alkmaar has canals too!). Around one corner is the famous wooden house with the canon ball; around the other corner you end up at the famous cheese market square.

I revisited the restaurant in early 2015 and learned that the chef had bought the place 3 years ago and renamed it into Agam.

Food wise things are only improved and I had a fantastic dinner.

Mo: Closed
    Tu-Su: 4PM - Midnight

Favorite Dish: I enjoined grilled chicken and it almost melted in my mouth. And that after a free soup as a starter.

Agam - Alkmaar Former EFES Business card Agam business card Agam menu

• pacyfka's Profile Photo

Chada Thai: Delicious Thai food

by pacyfka Written Apr 22, 2009

The restaurant has been recommended to us by a guy from Grand Hotel Alkmaar. We were a bit skeptic at first, as experienced told us that it is quite difficult to find good Thai restaurant outside Thailand (at least to satisfy our taste buds), but the guy was right. Food was very fresh and tasty. We liked it so much we came back there next day, and if we could probably the next day after that.
    Meal for two with drinks (one alcoholic ) came to apprx Eur45-50

Favorite Dish: Prawns or Chicken in creamy red curry sauce with cocounut cream, and Tom Yam.

DELI: Nice Indonesian restaurant

by pieter_jan_v Written May 7, 2015

DELI is an Indonesian restaurant. The Babi Pagang I tried was prepared in a different taste I was used at the many Chinese Restaurants in Holland. Perhaps it was a bit to much Soya taste, but overall I would rate it 7 points (out of 10).

Mo-Tu: Closed
    We-Su: 5PM - 10PM

Favorite Dish: I tried a Nasi Babi Pagang.

DELI - Alkmaar DELI - Alkmaar

Fish and Chips: Fish and Chips

by pieter_jan_v Written May 20, 2015

Fish and Chips is not a traditional Dutch meal, but also the restaurants in the Netherlands becoming more international. Fish and Chips is one of the latest examples of this development.

Take away and delivery service available.

Mo-Tu: Closed
    We-Su: 4PM - 9PM

Favorite Dish: Fish and Chips.

Fish and Chips -Alkmaar

Victory Wok: Victory Wok

by ATLC Written Mar 22, 2005

Well patronised buffetstyle restaurant (with a small lunch menu) situated under the Golden Tulip hotel. The lunch buffet includes juice, milk, coffee, tea, various kinds of bread and sliced cheese or meats, soup and a hot snack and salads. All for € 7,80 per person.
    From 17 hrs on you can eat your fill at the wok buffet. Choose your ingredients and sauce and the chef will stirfy it for you.
    Not haute cuisine but both good deals!

Victory International: Victory International

by ATLC Updated Jun 13, 2005

Just slightly upmarket Chinese restaurant, with a higher quality to an otherwise recognisable menu. Although a Mongolian menu is not often seen in Chinese restaurants. Excellent chicken and pineapple, also excellent teppan of crab, shrimp, beef, chicken and pork. Very good fried rice.
    Open every day from 11 -23 hrs.
    Accepts all creditcards

Favorite Dish: Just over € 20 per person, one main course, drinks and coffee.

1 Pou Lou Kai (chicken and pineapple), 14,50 euro
    1 Tiepang House, 17,50 euro

The photos of the dishes are on my mobile phone and I can't get them off yet!

• Business Travel

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Restaurant De Buren: An unique place.

by Jerelis Written Nov 1, 2012

Where to have lunch whenever you’re hiking the streets of Alkmaar. The last time I visited the city I was with Paulien and the 3 kids. They all suggested to have lunch at the HEMA, do you want to believe that? For me the HEMA is way to ordinary and especially no option whenever you know that Alkmaar has much better to offer than that. For example the Restaurant De Buren right in the historical center of Alkmaar, a place with much more character for sure!

The very nice Restaurant De Buren is located In the middle of Alkmaar and has an unique place combined with the history of the very nearby Visbank (former fish market). The rustic building has for many years been a beacon of hospitality, tradition and culinary class on travelers level. In both the summer and winter you can enjoy the beautiful and completely renewed terrace, because it is heated. We witnessed that the staff was professional and very friendly. For the lunch De Buren will offer the an nice menu of pita sandwiches, salads, high tea and coffee beverages. We enjoyed our hot shredded ham sandwich (a beef sandwich of thin slices of seasoned roast beef, dripping with meat juices, on a dense long Italian-style roll) and old Dutch cheese sandwich to go with coffee and ice-tea.

Cyrille and Iris having lunch. Sam and his sandwich. The old Dutch cheese sandwich. Ready to have lunch. To the right the facade of restaurant De Buren.

CLOSED: Het Eetpaleis: CLOSED: Food Palace

by pieter_jan_v Written May 15, 2015

I revisited Alkmaar in early 2015. Somehow I read about the Eetpaleis and is also was on the free map that was available at my hotel.
    I did not visit the place as I wanted to go to two other restaurant, but took some pictures from the outside.

Much to my surprise I learned a month later that the business had stopped.

Former Eetpaleis - Alkmaar Former Eetpaleis - Now closed all week

Elhorst: Glutenfree restaurant

by pieter_jan_v Written May 16, 2015

Restaurant Elhorst is a glutenfree restaurant.
    It's a great place to get some coffee, lunch or high tea
    They also sell cakes.

Su: 11:30AM - 5PM

Elhorst - Alkmaar
    • Photography

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Vlaamse Hoek: Great snacks "Uit de Muur"

by pieter_jan_v Written May 16, 2015

Snack bar Vlaamse Hoek is a small place, but located at the busy corner of the Langestraat with the Payglop alley. A part is automatiek or a vending machine in the outer wall where you can eat "Uit de Muur".

Favorite Dish: Kroketje.

Vlaamse Hoek - Alkmaar

't Kooltuintje: Very local café

by pieter_jan_v Written May 17, 2015

't Kooltuintje is a popular local bar frequented by young people. This a place with many activities,
    Just drop in and be one of the happy crowd.

Mo-Th: Noon - 2AM
    Fr: 11AM - 2:30AM
    Sa: Noon - 2:30AM
    Su: 2PM - 2AM

't Kooltuintje - Alkmaar
    • Music

Ereburger: Burger restaurant

by pieter_jan_v Written May 17, 2015

Ereburger (Honorary Citizen) is a mix of a bar and a restaurant.
    They serve lunches and quick dinners.

This is a place for tourist and theater visitors.

Mo: Closed
    Tu-Th: 4:30PM - 11:30PM
    Fr: 11Am - 3PM; 4:30PM - 11:30PM
    Sa: Noon - 3PM; 4:30PM - 11:30PM
    Su: 4:30PM - 11:30PM

Ereburger - Alkmaar

Instant Answers: Alkmaar

Comments

Alkmaar Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Alkmaar restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alkmaar sightseeing.