Chinatown, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

• Chinatown
    by jo104
  • Chinatown
    by Mariajoy
    Chandelier in the shrine
    by Mariajoy
  • Kuan Yin Shrine

by Mariajoy Written Nov 20, 2005

Favorite thing: My favourite thing about Amsterdam is that no matter how often you visit, there is always something new to discover.

I came across the Kuan Yin Shrine whilst on a walkabout with VT member Pieter jan V and Swanet. We were in Chinatown and saw that this beautiful Chinese shrine was open and only requested that visitors be silent - photography was allowed.

Fondest memory: For the price of 20C visitors could choose a tiny roll of yellow paper with words of Chinese wisdom. Mine read

I remember when I brought up my child; Now my child is raising my grandchild.
    My child let me go hungry; let him be.
    But don't let my grandchild make my child hungry!

I'm still thinking about it!

Kuan Yin Shrine Chandelier in the shrine

• MATIM's Profile Photo

Chinese Buddhism temple

by MATIM Written Mar 19, 2004

Favorite thing: unbelievable but true, you find a Chinese Buddhism temple build between 1998-2000,in the middle of the red light district.
    The temple officially opened by queen Beatrix at 15 September
    The temple is open to the public every day
    The roof tiles couldn't take the cold and broke, so that is why you see yellow plastic at the top of the temple

• jo104's Profile Photo

Guan Yin Shrine

by jo104 Written Aug 31, 2006

Favorite thing: This is Europe's first Buddhist traditional style temple completed in 2000
    Admission is free & on Sundays they do recitations of the sayings of Buddha at 10.30
    The building is rather attractive from the outside but I did not go inside so perhaps if you curiosity or religion persuades you then it is a must do thing
    Open Mon - Sat 12pm - 5pm
    Sun 10am - 5pm

• Gypsy_Saskia's Profile Photo

One of my favourite parts of...

by Gypsy_Saskia Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: One of my favourite parts of town is the ZEEDIJK / NIEUWMARKT area. It is referred to as Chinatown, which I think is not so true. Even the internet site says that the AMS Chinatown is the only Chinatown in the world were there is a mixture of nationalities. This is probably because it is no real Chinatown.

Anyhow, Zeedijk is one of the oldest parts of town, in the red light district. You will find many toko's and restaurants (Nam Kee is my favourite Chinese restaurant) from all over the world. At the end of Zeedijk, Nieuwmarkt is a great place with bars (Cuba, ´t Loosje) and restaurants (try Bern, great cheese fondue!).

One of the treasures of the Zeedijk is the temple that was opened in 2000.

Zeedijk has several festivals each year in August, November and other months. Ask at the tourist office, 'cause this can be great fun!

If you like special beers, try cafe Maximiliaan on Nieuwmarkt, they brew their own beer!

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Chinatown has everything to...

by l_joo Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Chinatown has everything to look at if you are in Amsterdam, yes almost everything in the whole world.
    there's even one Malaysian restaurant, 'betul punya' Indonesian restaurants, sex shops, my eyes just couldn't stop looking at them...It's my #1 and favourite city in Europe. I couldn't remember which road to which road but just don't worry, you won't get lost. There's one streets selling almost 'everything' like wooden shoes, tulips and many other souvenirs, just like a flea market. Just Enjoy

Instant Answers: Amsterdam