Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Amsterdam (historisch) Museum.
    by breughel
    Scheepvaart museum and VOC ship.
    Rijksmuseum.
  • JUNLI's Profile Photo

Rijksmuseum

by JUNLI Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Rijksmuseum

Fondest memory:
    Rijksmuseum has the country's best collection of modern and contemporary Dutch art. The best of the country's artistic and cultural heritage together under a single roof.

That's really a massive museum, and seems impossible looking around everything in one go!

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Museumplein

by Carmela71 Updated Mar 3, 2003

Favorite thing: First day, we spent most of our time enjoying Amsterdam, its musseums, walking through most of the streets and canals.

Here is the Museumplein with the Rijksmuseum at the end, the Van Gogh and the Stedelijk Museum

Fondest memory: Amsterdam has 42 museums, the most famous ones are the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum, that you can see on the photo.

The Rijksmuseum is the largest museum for art and history in the Netherlands.

A visit to the Van Gogh Museum is a must do activity.

The Stedelijk Museum is one of Europe's most important museums for modern and contemporary art.

• Museum Visits

• sim1's Profile Photo

Musea in Amsterdam

by sim1 Updated Mar 2, 2003

Favorite thing:
    Amsterdam has some great museums, really worth while going to. I am not such a museum person, but I thouroughly enjoyed my visit to the 'Rijksmuseum' in 2001. And since than I've been back for another visit to the Rijksmuseum and also to the Van Gogh museum.

Here are the links to three well-known musea in Amsterdam :

In these general tips I want to tell you a bit more about these museums.

The Rijksmuseum

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

visit the Rijksmsueum which is...

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: visit the Rijksmsueum which is set in its historic home designed by P.J.H. Cuypers, houses the largest collection of art and history in the Netherlands. The museum has an internationally renowned collection based around the paintings of the seventeenth-century Dutch Republic, the Golden Age, including twenty works by Rembrandt, four by Vermeer and numerous other paintings by artists such as Frans Hals and Jan Steen. Displayed at the very heart of the museum is Rembrandt’s Night Watch. But the museum houses more than just paintings: there are superb collections of silver, delftware, doll’s houses, prints, drawings, the mysterious Asiatic art and a recent completely renovated presentation on Dutch history. Works of art on paper, prints and drawings and since 1996 the photographic collection, are shown four times a year in different exhibitions.

Fondest memory: the canals

• eladr's Profile Photo

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam...

by eladr Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is the largest museum in Holland and attracts
    well over a million visitors each year. It is internationally celebrated for its
    exhibitions and publications as well as its scholarships and research. The museum
    features works by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Frans Hals, Jan Steen, Breitner, as well
    as dolls houses, silver, prints and drawings, delftware, furniture, weaponry, ship
    models and Buddhas. The museum is well worth a visit for the décor alone as it
    devotes considerable resources to the design and layout of exhibitions. Cutting
    edge designers are regularly commissioned to work on Rijksmuseum projects.

• bennieofzo's Profile Photo

Go to 'het Rijksmuseum' and...

by bennieofzo Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to 'het Rijksmuseum' and see the famous 'nachwacht' or nichtwatch by Rembrandt.
    Eat japanese at 'Okura-hotel'
    Sit down for a drink on a terrace at the 'Rembrandtplein' and look at all people passing by.

Fondest memory: Too much to mention!!!
    Beautiful buildings. Great foreign food. Exciting nightlife.

• Wayfarin2's Profile Photo

Checkin' out the 'Hood

by Wayfarin2 Updated Mar 30, 2003

Favorite thing: I am low on energy today so we decide to check out the millions of interesting things near our hotel. First a quick breakfast at the hotel (they don't call it a Continental breakfast here). We bought our Museumjaarkaart when we went to visit the Rijksmuseum, a few blocks from the hotel. The Museumjaarkaart is a year-long pass to a selected 30 museums in Amsterdam. After a week of use we pretty much broke even on this purchase, i.e. if you are going for more than a week, or are going to focus on the art museums exclusively, buy one. It's nice to be able to re-visit your favorite museum also. If you are going for a week or less, and plan to spend a lot of time doing other things, pay for the museums separately. That's my advice.
    We spent several hours in the Rijksmuseum. We vowed to return, it is tied for my favorite w/ the Van Gogh museum. The Rijksmuseum could easily take days to cover. We spent most of our time looking at the Dutch masters--Rembrandt's "The Night Watch", etc. Incredible! We got hungry and planned to return (never did), so we left for lunch.

Fondest memory: I never did get my sleep cycle straightened out until I returned to CA. My wife had no problem with it, which was great, nice to have one in the party who can sleep. I have had this problem before, even when travelling to the East Coast. I recommend taking some sleep medication that works for you along on the trip, I will do so next time. We found it impossible to find over the counter sleep medication like we have in the States. They did have a tryptophan/melotonin product I considered trying tho. I learned to enjoy myself with less sleep, and my wife let me nap occasionally (not much tho!). Too much fun to have!!!

The Rijksmuseum -- as beautiful outside as inside!
    • Museum Visits

• Wayfarin2's Profile Photo

The Rijksmuseum

by Wayfarin2 Updated Mar 30, 2003

Favorite thing: The Rijksmuseum is so cool on so many levels. It was built to be a museum by the same dude who built Centraal Station. Underneath the building is a big thoroughfare for pedestrians and bicycles where street musicians hang out (it rains here a lot). On this day there was a steel drum player producing eerily echoing music down here under the beautifully tiled architecture.

Fondest memory: Take your time, look around!

Underneath the Rijksmuseum
    • Architecture

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

visit the Rijksmuseum. One of...

by Ramonq Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: visit the Rijksmuseum. One of Europes greatest museum. Plenty of famous Flemish paintings on display here. Rembrandt's the Nightwatch is the one to see.

Fondest memory: The coffeeshops here are unique. You will be in a different world.

• RamSter's Profile Photo

Rijks Museum, the largest in...

by RamSter Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Rijks Museum, the largest in Holland...Its a nice orange colour and sure does spice up the places life!

• BR0WND0G's Profile Photo

Visit the Rijksmuseum. Here...

by BR0WND0G Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Rijksmuseum. Here you'll find many old paintings by Rembrandt and other Dutch masters, as well as beautiful gardens on the site.

• adambeau's Profile Photo

Artwork and Architecture of Rijksmuseum

by adambeau Updated Nov 19, 2002

Favorite thing: Get a close up view of the outside of this immense building, and prepare yourself for what awaits to be seen on the inside.

Fondest memory: Gauguin, Rembrandt, Van Gogh and Vermeer masterpieces.

Rijksmuseum art