Statues and Sculptures, Amsterdam
Majoor Bosshardt was a well known Salvation Army worker. Born as Alida Margaretha Bosshardt at Utrecht in 1913, she did a lot for the Amsterdam prostitutes at the Red Light District.
No wonder a bench with her statue can be found opposite the local Salvation Army Goodwill center at the Oudezijds Voorburgwal 14, the house where she has lived untill her dead in 2007.
A second statue of her can be found inside Hotel Krasnapolsky at the Dam square at the entrance of the Winter Garden.
The Herman Heijermans statue is located in the Leidsebosje, a small park just South of the Leidseplein square. It's mad by sculptor Joseph Mendes da Costa in 1929.
Herman Heijermans was a writer of plays and small stories.
The first statue was placed in the Vondelpark, but was the subject of much debate and vandalism. In 1934 the statue was badly damaged and a second statue had to be made. This one was placed at the Leidsebosje in 1935, but was removed in 1940, again due to vandalism.
After WWII two efforts were necessary to repair the statue and since 1964 it returned to the Leidsebosje.
The statue of the Dutch writer Arthur van Schendel is located at the Leidsebosje, a small park across the canal SW of the Leidseplein square.
Arthur François Emile van Schendel was born at Batavia (Jakarta) at March 5,1874 and died at Amsterdam on September 11, 1946.
After his early year in Indonesia, where his father was a Lutenant-Colonel in the Dutch army, he followed the school of arts at Amsterdam. For a time he teached in the UK and later went to Italy.
His son was the general manager of the Rijksmuseum.
The statue was made by Jobs Wertheim.
Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft (PC Hooft in short) was a Dutch writer and historian.
He lived from 1581 to 1647. He lived for 40 years at the Muiderslot castle, just East of Amsterdam.
His statue is located at a small square at the Stadhouderskade at the North side of the posh Amsterdam shopping street named after him%L8.
The sculpture is made by Frits Sieger and revealed in 1947, 300 years after Hooft died.
The most remarkable, uglyiest and and eye catching monument is located at the Jodenbreestraat.
Its official name is "Grenspaal" and it was made by Hans ’t Mannetje in 1986.
The monument is also known as the "Zuildragende schildpad" (Pillar carrying turtle) or the Monument of Jacob Israël de Haan.
It is located on the spot where a planned highway ends. The plans for the highway changed after much debate.
The monument has three text areas with the following Dutch writings:
"Tot hier verdween het oude stadspatroon
van hier begon de stadsvernieuwing in deze buurt
ter herinnering werd dit gedenkteken opgericht."
"Die te Amsterdam vaak zei: 'Jeruzalem'
en naar Jeruzalem gedreven kwam,
Hij zegt met mijmerende stem
"De tijd kruipt met het bouwwerk heen, van hier, vandaar rest soms een steen."
Kokadorus, aka Meier Linnewiel was a famous Amsterdam street market merchant, selling cloths and other stuff at the Amstelveld square. He became famous from the nonsense sales talks he held, not only on the street markets but at parties and festivals too. He claimed to be the Merchant of Northern Venice.
Since 1977 there's a statue at the Amstelveld; his beloved monday selling location.
This monument is located at the Jodenbreestraat bridge near the Rembrandt house.
Jocaob was called the poet of the Jewish songs. He was born in Smilde, but moved to Amsterdam and worked as a teacher and journalist.
In 1919 he moved to Israel and taught law and was a correpondent for some Amsterdam newspapers. The monument contains the famous lines about is home sickness for Amstedam:
Die te Amsterdam vaak zei 'Jeruzalem'
En naar Jeruzalem gedreven kwam
Hij zegt met een mijmrende stem: 'Amsterdam, Amsterdam.
In 1924, just before he would return the Netherlands, he was killed.; probably by Zionists as a reaction to his ultra ortodox sympathies. This was the first political murder in Palestina.
The Dutch version of St. Nick is called Sinterklaas.
Each year Sinterklaas arrives by boat at Amsterdam on the third Sunday of November and rides on a white horse into the city via the Damrak street.
At the Dam square the procession halts to great the statue of SINTERCLAES that is mounted at the first floor of the corner building.
After his Birthday at December 5 Sinterklaas departs unnoticed.
The statue of Ferdinand Domela Nieuwenhuis is located in the Nassauplein. just West of the Haarlemmerpoort.
Nieuwenhuis was a Dutch social politician and an anti-militarist.
He was born on December 31, 146 and died on Novenmber 18, 1919.
The André Hazes statue is located at the Albert Cuyp street market, corner Albert Cuypstraat and Eerste Sweelinckstraat; about 2 blocks from where he was born in 1951 at the Gerard Doustraat 67-III.
Little André loved singing and in 1959 was scouted by Johnny Kraaykamp while singing at the Albert Cuyp market. He appeared in the TV program AVRO's weekendshow and made the record " Droomschip".
His real Dutch singing career started in 1976 when he was scouted by Willy Alberti and scored a first big hit with "Eenzame Kerst".
Other big hits were "Een beetje verliefd", " Bloed, zweet en tranen" and "Wij houden van Oranje".
He died in 2004.
The Jewish resistance monument is located at Amstel 1 - 1011 PN AMsterdam.
It's designed by J.J. Glatt (ontwerp) and made under managemnet of ir. Emmanuel M. Glatt
De test at the monument is:
TER HERINNERING AAN HET VERZET
VAN DE JOODSE BURGERS
GEVALLEN IN 1940 - 1945
5700 - 5705
And at the side:
WAREN MIJN OGEN EEN BRON VAN TRANEN
DAN ZOU IK WENEN, DAG EN NACHT
OM DE GEVALLEN STRIJDERS
VAN MIJN DIERBAAR VOLK.
(NAAR JER. 8,23)
Favorite thing: Amsterdam's Lovely Boy - "Amsterdamse Lieverdje" - is located in the Spui market area in the center city. Originally created for a street fair, he proved to be so popular that he was cast in copper the following year, becoming a permanent resident of Amsterdam's streets. Carel Kneulman (1915-2008) was the sculptor.
Prince Hendrik (1827-1879), sometimes called "the Navigator" was the younger brother of King William III. He dedicated his life to the Dutch navy, and died as an Admiral of the Fleet. Prins Hendrikkade is his main legacy.
The bust is just across the street from the impressive Scheepvaarthuis.
The monumental "De Bazel" structure (on the west side of Vizjelstraat at Kaisersgracht) continued the 19th and early 20th century tradition by which public buildings were adorned with significant artworks - making it a focus of interest for passing pedestrians and photographers.
The designers of this urban landmark employed some of the most important visual artists in the Low Countries, among them Lambertus Zijl, Hendrik van den Eijnde and Joseph Mendes da Costa (the last of whom was also responsible for the fascinating statues that adorn the De Utrecht building on Damrak.)
The Scheepsvaarthuis - or "Shipping House" - is one of the most important examples of early 20th century architecture in all of Holland. It well illustrates the way in which architects in the first decades of the 1900s attempted to fuse traditions of craft, art, and engineering through the creation of new building styles that would reflect the past while preparing for the future.
Intriguing and occasionally grotesque statues adorn the front doors of the Scheepsvaarthuis, at the corner of Prins Henrikkade and Binnenkant. They are the 20th century equivalent of medieval gargoyles, I suppose. Kind of Art Nouveau, I think.
The lead architect for the building was Johan van der Mey (1878-1949), although he had the assistance of others members of the "Amsterdam School" as well. Originally used as offices, a large portion of the block has been converted to a five-star luxury hotel, the "Hotel Amrath."