Walking, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Walk through De Pijp, Amsterdam
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Walking the Canals

by pieter_jan_v Written Apr 14, 2005

Prinsengracht

Favorite thing: I recommend you explore Amsterdam by foot.
    Any trip along the canals will you take along interesting places. Don't forget the alleys and the connecting streets between the canals; a lot of hidden shops and small businesses can be found just there.

Fondest memory: My favorites: Brouwersgracht, Noordermarkt, Elandsgracht, The nine little streets and the Kerkstraat.

• Cycling
    • Trains
    • Hiking and Walking

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Walking around

by micas_pt Written Dec 10, 2003

Favorite thing: Amsterdam's an easy city to walk through. At least that little area i got to know. Everything is so near and even though I spent few time there i didn't feel the need of getting into any tram to move around faster. Everything seems to be close, and you have to walk a little further some channel or nice building will come across your way and delight your eyes. While walking around don't forget to look up, some buildings are pretty interesting and you will notice some typical architecture. Streets are crowded both with locals and visitors and you still you feel you’re through a cosy welcoming city.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Huge balloons

by martin_nl Updated Jul 21, 2003

Big balloons in Amsterdam

Fondest memory: The other day I walked from my work to the train station and noticed these beautiful big balloons on the Beursplein, next to the Bijenkorf. The balloons were here because of the Holland Festival, which is held every year in June. The festival has a wide variety of the stage arts with one characteristic in common: great artistic quality and an international dimension.

• Festivals

• davequ's Profile Photo

Bring an open mind and enjoy

by davequ Updated Dec 31, 2004

Prinsengracht in the afternoon sun, Sept. '03

Favorite thing: One of my most favorite things about Amsterdam is:

the pace, lifestyle, and feeling of the old city (away from busy center) along the canals on a warm, sunny day in the fall.

Fondest memory: Walking, and even better, bicycling the city and countryside both day and at night, especially during the still-warm fall weather.

A'Dam faves:
    - The local people I met in Amsterdam. Puccinis. Bicycles. Indonesian and Dutch food. The peace of the sunset from a terrace. The chimes from Westerkerk Toren.

Meeting, listening to and learning from all different cultures of people on the streets, in the cafes, restaurants, museums, bars, and coffee shops.
    Water; canals, art, architecture.

To me, Amsterdam at first felt like a city of harmony, but the more I return I am finding beneath the surface that is not necessarily the case.

No matter, I will not let prejudice and hatred spoil Amsterdam or the Netherlands for me.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Adventure Travel
    • Study Abroad

• AmericanH's Profile Photo

Strolling Along The Canals

by AmericanH Written Feb 25, 2003

Canal Lock

Favorite thing: Amsterdam is referred to as the Venice of the north. Once you see all of the lovely canals you will know why. It is a wonderful city straight out of the 15th century, flourishing in the 21st century. Everything about this city is a must see. The best way to see it is by walking. Pickup a good tour book with a map and just start strolling. Do research on the internet, there is an endless source of information about this city.

Fondest memory: The cobblestone streets and the 15th century buildings. The canals with the houseboats and small fishing boats. Listening to the dialects from so many different nations.

We had the most fun just standing on one of the bridges that lead into the Red Light District. We watched as 1000's of people poured in and out thru the narrow alleyway. I enjoy people-watching almost as much as I enjoy siteseeing.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Great city to walk through

by nighthawk Updated Sep 19, 2005

Just walking & talking , having fun

Favorite thing: After leaving Tara's pub we walked to the 'Waterlooplein', a flee market. It s always fun to visit a flee market because you never what you might find. Amsterdam is well known for it s Albert Cuyp but this market was ok as well.
    From left to right: Mirella, Roelien, SandravdP, Capricorn and Peter.

• Study Abroad

• Recycling

by CoAir13 Written Feb 17, 2005

Favorite thing: I also noticed many recycling bins throughout the city for paper and glass. What a fantastic idea. Why don't more cities do this? I also wonder if people actually use them for glass and paper rather than just garbage......

• hevbell's Profile Photo

A LITTLE SLICE OF HOLLAND

by hevbell Written Mar 19, 2004

rokin amsterdam

Favorite thing: This view from Rokin in the city centre has a little slice of Holland right there - Heineken Beer, diamonds and windmills!! Our bus driver pointed it out as we were passing on the way to the hotel!

• NorCalKid's Profile Photo

Walk everywhere!

by NorCalKid Written Jun 18, 2008

Favorite thing: The best way to learn the city is to walk everywhere. I had a little fear on learning my way by getting on a tram and not being able to get off where I saw I needed to go. That, however weird it sounds, forced me to walk. It took a couple of days, but once you tune in the internal compass you'll have no problem getting to where you need to go. There are helpful "you are here" maps all around. The key trick is to orientate yourself from where you are to where you need to go. Remember the streets run on the canal system that is in a horseshoe configuration, Central Station being at the top if looking from overhead. On this you can't just walk a few extra blocks one way and think you have a short cut. You'll wind up lost. Streets are not on a rectangular system that some might be use too. The street signs are on the corner of the buildings not on poles on the corners. If conscious of looking like a lost tourist just use a restroom somewhere and pull out your handy map out of sight of others.

Fondest memory: I can't really say there is anything I miss more than the uniqueness of the city. I love the energy of the people and difference in the culture. Amsterdam is one of a kind city. The canals and leaning buildings with such awesome architecture. Dodging and negotiating the bicycle traffic is a learning experience. I loved it there and was there during November. I can't wait to visit in spring or summer when it is nice and can ride a bike around in shorts checking out windmills in the countryside.

• Architecture

• ATLC's Profile Photo

A walk through De Pijp

by ATLC Written Nov 7, 2008

Walk through De Pijp, Amsterdam

Favorite thing: De Pijp (the Pipe) is a very different and attractive neighbourhood in central Amsterdam. Located just southeast of the inner city and can be reached by tram 4 or 25 (stop Ceintuurbaan), near to where the walk starts.

Fondest memory: Because I was staying in De Pijp, I sort of missed out on the first part of the walk and started on Diamantstraat (see map).

• Architecture

• lee_brown's Profile Photo

walk - all the streets are...

by lee_brown Written Sep 8, 2002

Favorite thing: walk - all the streets are unlike any other city, just be careful that you are not run down by a bicycle.
    Even the bicycles are worthy of a look - some have trailers attached, often carrying the pet dog.
    For more typical sights look at my travelogue.

Fondest memory: The higgedly piggedly houses, some seem to be about to fall into the next one

• Gypsy_Saskia's Profile Photo

Spend at least a few hours to...

by Gypsy_Saskia Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Spend at least a few hours to walk along the canals, having a coffee in a typical dutch bar (a 'bruin cafe'), sitting down on a terrace on Prinsengracht if the weather allows it and just enjoying the vibes of this wonderful city! A very Dutch bar I can recommend is Kat in de Wijngaert, on Lindengracht (Jordaan).

Fondest memory: The canals, especially the Jordaan area with its markets and nice people is what I miss most when I am abroad!

• Lalique's Profile Photo

Center is close

by Lalique Written Feb 25, 2003

Rokin

Favorite thing: Wanted to take this pic last time but have done only in this trip....
    Rokin.... a busy street leading to the heart of Amsterdam, to Dam square.... in a few hours there gonna be the loudest fire works in the whole city, NY is coming....

• Fishing

• shdw100's Profile Photo

Just enjoy the city by...

by shdw100 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Just enjoy the city by wandering around. I cannot specify anything more as my stay was short.

Fondest memory: When I went to a diamond cutting factory, I should have bought a diamond for my future wife. I went with my parents, and my mom really had the insight at the time, but I decided not to. I can really kick myself now for not taking the opportunity! I will just have to go back with my wife and buy one!

• mantel's Profile Photo

ALLOW LOTS OF TIME.WALK,TAKE A...

by mantel Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: ALLOW LOTS OF TIME.WALK,TAKE A TRAM TAKE A CANAL RIDE,HAVE A LOCAL BREW AND LOCAL COFFEE,MAKE A FRIEND THE NEDERLANDERS WILL TALK TO ANYONE....THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE TALLER THAN ANYONE ELSE AROUND

Fondest memory: I LOVE TO LOOK AT THE BUILDINGS AND THE CANALS AT NIGHT AND THE PEOPLE RUSHING PLACES ON THEIR CYCLES.I HATE LEAVING THE CITY TO GO HOME

Instant Answers: Amsterdam