French Fries - Frites, Amsterdam

by breughel
    ????
    by johngayton
  • Good ol Fritessaus (Fritter Sause?) in Amsterdam
    Good ol Fritessaus (Fritter Sause?) in...
    by BruinKristin
  • breughel's Profile Photo

"Belgische frieten".

by breughel Written Mar 3, 2014

Frieten.

Shall I repeat once again that there are NO French Fries in the EU! Not in France - did you ever read Frites françaises on a menu in France - NOT in Belgium of course and NOT in Holland.
    The Dutch, a very realistic nation, reckon that the best Frieten are made according to the Belgian receipt and introduced in the Netherlands only around 1905.

As you might think at VT in the USA that I am an awful Belgian nationalist I join here the text from Wikipedia proving that the Dutch learned to make Frites from the Belgian refugees during WW I:

"Rond 1900 waren frieten al gemeengoed in België, maar in Nederland nog vrijwel onbekend. Het is niet bekend waar en wanneer in Nederland de eerste frites is gemaakt of verkocht. De Nederlandse snack- en fastfooddeskundige Ubel Zuiderveld oppert in Een eeuw frites in Nederland de mogelijkheid dat dit rond 1905 geweest zou kunnen zijn op de kermis van Bergen op Zoom. Wel is zeker dat via Belgische vluchtelingen in Nederland gedurende de Eerste Wereldoorlog al menig Nederlands gastgezin op grotere schaal met frites kennismaakte."

If some of you don't understand Dutch, ask Google to translate, I'm sooo tired of telling the World that frites-frieten are Belgian.

Btw do you know that there are in Amsterdam several frietshops with name "Vlaamse Frites" where the Dutch are queing (for example Vlemincks, see TA).
    About the name Vlaamse frites see my remark under "BELGIAN Fritten - Frites".

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Fritessaus or Mayonnaise? ....

by johngayton Written Sep 22, 2007

????

...now THAT is the question!!

And so adding to the impromnable philosphical questions about life, Amsterdam adds its own.

Well, of course we all know which came first: "the chicken or the egg?" We all understand the holistic problems of meaning and belief - well don't we? But WHAT is the difference between fritessaus and mayonnaise? That truly is a question to be answered, whether to be or not to be - do you put it on your salad, or put it on your fries? - or both? A multi-tasking, all-singing, all dancing accompaniement at 4 am with your kebab.

HA!

Just put it on everything, that's what I say, and then you can't go wrong ;p

• Beer Tasting

• colbeck100's Profile Photo

Amsterdam Fries

by colbeck100 Updated May 9, 2005

After we had walked and drunk for a few hours just after we arrived in Amsterdam we found ourselves looking for somewhere to eat. What we found was a narrow shop selling chips/fries. We had to wait in the cold but when they came they were something else. We put the the thick mayo on them and ate them as we lurched back to the hotel. This is not behaviour we would adopt anywhere else but it is an experience not to be missed.
    Near Beurs Passage on Damrak.

• BruinKristin's Profile Photo

Fritessaus (Fritter Sause?)

by BruinKristin Written Feb 4, 2005

Good ol Fritessaus (Fritter Sause?) in Amsterdam

French fries (chips) are Fritters in Holland and Fritter sauce is not ketchup. No, it's this yummy mixture of mayonnaise and maybe relish and mustard?
    Have you seen Pulp Fiction? John Travolta monologues this nicely : )
    Anyhow, try it! It is very very tasty -- although quite unhealthy I can imagine, but what the heck you're on vacation/holiday!

• tattud_gurl's Profile Photo

Fries with mayo!

by tattud_gurl Written Dec 9, 2004

fries

This is a typical dutch treat you HAVE to try. You can get them anywhere on the street. Top them with mayo AND onions.....tastes just like a Mickey D's burger, only no meat....swear.
    I had them several times while I was there. It's a perfect cheap snack.
    Anyplace is good..there's Frank and Fries, there's Moaz, and several other chains. All as good as the other.

• ana_21's Profile Photo

French frites with MAYONAISE!!!

by ana_21 Written Jul 26, 2003

Never outside the Netherlands have I met such a custom - in fast foods like FEBO and similar they serve french frites with the huge drop of mayonaise!! During my stay in Amsterdam I sort of got used to this but I remember the first impression!
    Of course,you may have your frites with ketchup as well but you will find that mayonaise is much more popular.

Anyway, believe me, this is something you buy and in few minutes regret it - unless you are really REALLY hungry :-)

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Croquettes

by dlandt Updated Mar 24, 2003

These are kind of like deep fried mashed potatoes and gravy. They're local fast food and where they aren't heaven on earth, they are a tasty snack and are typically Dutch. They shouldn't be much more than a euro. You find them in the same place you find local fast food, they look like breaded and fat cigars. You can get one in one of these places, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam