Pharmacies, Amsterdam

by garridogal
    Buy before you fly!
    by LolaSanFrancisco
  • LolaSanFrancisco's Profile Photo

Just you TRY and find a Pharmacy…I dare you!

by LolaSanFrancisco Written Jun 23, 2003

Buy before you fly!

I was in Delft on a Friday night and came down with a cold. I went to my hotel front desk and asked where I could get some medication. And this is how complicated it got:

First thing is that on the weekends (Friday nights, Saturday and night, Sunday and night and half of Monday) only one pharmacy is open. And you have to call a special phone number listed in the phone book to see what one is open because they switch every day to see who stays later and so on.

So they did, and I set out on a long walk to some street that ended with Straut. When I walked all the way across town I found that that pharmacy was closed. ????????

The next morning I was so ill I thought: “I’ll go back to Amsterdam, they got drugs there!” So off I went, only to discover the same thing.

I hope your not sitting there thinking: “I wonder why she didn’t go to the grocery store and pick up some Sudafed or something?” Well! They keep the food in the grocery stores and the drugs in the drug stores. And the drug stores are not open on the weekends.

I was a mess. I now bring that stuff with me when I travel. Lesson learned.

The end.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

The Pharmacist is in

by garridogal Updated Apr 16, 2007

Say

If you see one of these while in Amsterdam and wonder what it is, I'll tell ya. It means that you've encountered a Pharmacist. You don't see very many of these around anymore but there are still a few out there.

• Trains