Nightclubs and bars in Amsterdam

Most Viewed Nightlife in Amsterdam

• heryanta's Profile Photo

De Zotte: Cozy bar with Belgian beers

by heryanta Written Jul 4, 2007

Zotte is one of the many 'brown' bars in Amsterdam (=pubs with wooden interior and furnitures) located just West of Leidseplein. It is very popular with locals, which I like a lot since it enables me to make new friends.

The best feature about this bar is for its wide selection of Belgian beers, a country which arguably has the best ales in the world :)

It gets busy during the weekend so be prepared to share your table, but then again it's a great way to meet new people.

• lechap71's Profile Photo

Studio 80: Multisexi Electro Action

by lechap71 Written Jun 25, 2007

Tucked away on the Rembrandtsplein in an island of neon and out-of-towners is this little club. It´s mixed gay/straight but the atmosphere is very open and friendly, and more importantly, the tunes are banging.

Dress Code: Tight t-shirts and tight jeans, if you look good in them. Otherwise, go as you please.

• davequ's Profile Photo

ADam clubs 4 dancing: All the clubs and music

by davequ Updated Apr 25, 2007

If expensive drinks, dulling disco/techno/house music and clubs are your thing:

There are so many clubs of all types, way too many to list here, and they are changing all the time (popularity, venue, and how you are treated by the infamous bouncers), so by the time I post a recommendation, that place will change or become unpopular.

Best recommendation is to keep checking the latest nightlife tips from VTrs, Clubzone, Let's Go Amsterdam, Yahoo, etc etc. and read online Dutch newspapers and websites. It is a dynamic & changing scene.

Dress Code: Dress codes definitely determine whether or not the goonlike and sometimes racist bouncers let you in. Dress up, or better still, go somewhere else.

• PLAYERS CAFE: Quality Bar

by alang2410 Updated Apr 8, 2007

having recently been or our third trip to amsterdam, we discovered the above mentioned bar. the staff are all really friendly and give an A1 service all day.
    if you remember Teasers, some of the girls that worked there now work here.
    great bar for weekends away with the lads or the girls, couples etc.
    BEST BAR IN AMSTERDAM

Dress Code: No dress code really.

best bar in town

• richyoon's Profile Photo

Dan Murphy's & Four Other Pubs: Pub Crawl

by richyoon Updated Apr 4, 2007

Traveling by yourself, it can be hard to go drinking/dancing by yourself. However, I discovered the ultimate solution. These pub crawl tours are a great way to meet people and just have a great time. (I saw them advertised in other cities, but this is the only one I've been on... I tried it on my last night before I headed back to the States). Everyone on these tours are travelling on vacation and here to have a good time. I found my group to include people from all over Europe as well as Canada and the U.S., but its clearly a young crowd. I think almost everyone except me on the tour was in their 20s. As the night goes on, we get more and more drinks, and we all end up just having a great time drinking and dancing.

The cost of the tour is 15 Euros, but it includes a drink at each location. The drink is typically a beer at the bar. I think you might be able to get something else, but I didn't really ask. Of course, you can buy as many additional drinks as you want from each bar. The tour guides are pretty cool too. They end up dancing and partying with you. In the end, I met some really cool people who otherwise I would have never have met in my life.

• School Holidays
    • Beer Tasting

• Matthijs85's Profile Photo

Nightclubs: If you like techno parties..

by Matthijs85 Written Sep 20, 2006

If you like techno parties, look at this website: www.partyflock.nl and go to 'agenda'. There you will find a list with a LOT of parties in the Netherlands. You can also send me an e-mail at appiewappie@hotmail.com, and I'll be glad to give you a tip on the good parties at that moment :)

• moll12's Profile Photo

Eating and Drinking: great street with all you need

by moll12 Written Jul 12, 2006

The Blarney Stone is a good, authentic, down-to-earth Irish pub. No frills, just Guinness ,
    the italian on the same street is great, joselie restaurant and the schwarma shop on this street is great also

Dress Code: casual!!!

• Trains

• Nightclubs: Sugar Factory nightclub review

by BadBoyD75 Updated May 24, 2006

I went to the Sugar Factory on a Friday night on my last visit to Amsterdam and i really enjoyed the club. The music was hip-hop to breakbeat and the people in there were really cool (there were some really good dancers in there!) I definitely recommend a visit to this club on your next visit to DAM.

Dress Code: casual as you like - i was wearing denim jeans and a shirt but there were people in more casual clothes then that!!

• cnorwood's Profile Photo

Live Music: So much choice.....

by cnorwood Written May 18, 2006

There is sooo much nightlife in Amsterdam you are spoilt for choice. Wether you like gay bars, dancing, chilling, bands, disco, brass bands, sex shows.... there is something for everyone.

The drink prices start off very high in Dam Square, we paid 4 euro a pint in one bar, it then gets cheaper the further away you go.

We found one great bar called 'Rock Planet' (see pic), the drinks were cheap and there was continuous ROCK played out on video screens. The Japanese seemed to like it, one fell off his chair in excitement watching ACDC! I think it was on the same street as the red light district but further away from the station.

Dress Code: There is none!

Oh YES!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Romantic cruise at night: Cheese and grapes on the canal!

by Jenniflower Updated Mar 14, 2006

We went on a romantic midnight cruise on the canal.

We were disappointed in that the seating arrangements are not that favourable to couples wanting a romantic evening! The couple sit side-by-side, facing another couple! Total strangers! We are generally friendly and I love chatting to other people and getting to know them as this evening was about 'us', and I wasnt in the mood to be chatty. Plus our knees kept touching!

The tables were like an ironing board jutting out from the side, with 2 bowls of cheese and grapes on it for us to consume during the 2 hour cruise. We had to share this with the other couple. Then they gave us these neon straw-like things for some light on our table. Hmmm.

The weather was lovely and the illuminated canals, with their gorgeous, lit bridges was a sight to take in for sure, but on the whole, this evening was not at all romantic, it might as well have been an ordinary (and far cheaper! We paid 40 euros each for this cruise) night cruise.

Dress Code: Smart casual. Some people really dressed up very smartly for this though! A bit odd to see a chap with a smart suit sitting by an ironing board though! haha ;)

Illumintaions on the river Illumintaions on the river
    • Architecture
    • Cruise

• De Saloon Bar: Mad hatters and chips

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 19, 2006

Just round the corner from our hotel we found De Saloon Bar. A very small, wedge-shaped pub frequented mostly by locals watching the footy (Juventus vs Feyenoord). Here it seems beer and chips are the order of the day - but the friendly chef/barman will be happy to oblige with whatever ingredients he happens to have - he makes a great bowl of vegetable noodles - as long as you remember compliment him on his hat making skills :)) Oh and the cheese and pineapple toasties aren't bad either.

Dress Code: Anything.

• The Black Tiger: Relaxed night spot

by Beckybobs Written Feb 11, 2006

I lived in Holland for nearly 2 years and spent almost every weekend in the Black Tiger. You can't buy marijuana but you can smoke in there. When i was there the staff were really friendly and you're only a 5-10 min walk from Central Station. It's right in the middle of the red light district with Theatre Casa Rosso down the road and the Globe which is a sports bar with bigscreen t.v's, rooms to rent and reasonably priced beer

Dress Code: There is no dress code in The Black Tiger. I used to in with my husbands workmates after a 10 hour shift engineering.

• Pravatti's Profile Photo

Coffeeshops: relaxing

by Pravatti Written Jan 18, 2006

If you have finished your sightseeing,best way to chill out is to visit one of hundreds coffeeshops.but the thing is that in most of them they don't serve alcoholic drinks,only warm drinks and juices.if you want to smoke and to drink a beer you'll have to look for that kind of coffeeshops.but it's not a problem to find them.i liked the most those in red light district.quite impressive in the evening.

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Irish Pub Slainte: Fun in the Red Light - it's not what you think

by BorneoGrrl Updated Jan 15, 2006

Why should I go to an Irish Pub whilst in Amsterdam? Good question and the answer is, I sort of walked into one and found a place with good music and great service. The Irish Pub Slainte is tucked in the middle of the Red Light District, next to the Old Church. I could be wrong but I think the White Tulip backpacker's inn is also located here

No hip hop music or techno is played (thank goodness) and the bartenders have such a fantastic sense of humour & lots of energy. You get a lot of laughs, good drinks, good company in here. You can also get some "home cooked" meals but the kitchen closes at 5.00pm. The place has a comfortable ambiance but you also can find clothes like female bras & football shirts hanging from the ceiling. So, you can stay here for hours and down your favourite poison, beer or one called the Yaga Bomb (Yagameister & Red Bull). Oh yes, no use of marijuana is allowed in this establishment, another plus point for me. This is a cool place and will return again

Dress Code: I guess anything goes

Bartenders Ken & John Irish Pub Slainte
    • Beer Tasting

• gazzerooni's Profile Photo

Tempo Doeloe: Indonesian Dinind

by gazzerooni Written Dec 27, 2005

When i was last in Amsterdam I met up with friends who had been to the city before.
    They had booked Tempo Doeloe on Utrechtsraat which is an Indonesian restaurant.
    To get a taste of Indonesia, we chose to get the Rijjkstafel which is a taste of 16 small Indonesian dished.
    The food starts with very mild tastes and then gradually gets hotter. I have eaten plenty of Thai before so I didnt find the food too hot. The sting in the tail is the final dish which is made intentionally hot.That was the only one I couldnt eat!!
    Overall the menu is very reasonable and the staff were friendly. There is a good atmosphere here and I noticed a lot of locals eating there. it was good to dine in a non-touristy place.

Dress Code: Casual smart

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 10 Reviews

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Nightlife

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
The Amsterdam nightlife is concentrated in the old town with its classic concert hall, theaters cinema's and night clubs. Beyond those are the new developments around the Arena stadium and the...
Map of Amsterdam