Heineken Brewery, Amsterdam
A note: If you are looking for RECORD MANIA, that used to be in the Jordaan area at Hartenstraat 9, you have to go to the Ferdinand Bolstraat 30 instead (Beyond Heineken Experience). Record Mania is a great shop; the only one with a good Jazz selection and some other gems. Basement bargains.
Now go South (I prefer via the PRINSENGRACHT) and go right on LEIDSE STRAAT (watch out for the public transportation). At the LEIDSEPLEIN there will be lots of shows in the weekends, so enjoy. Go to the east via GARTMAN PLANTSOEN and enter WETERING SCHANS. Almost opposite Paradiso you will find RECORD PALACE at nr. 33. Here the goodies are located in the basement. Say hallo to owner Jan van Dorsten.
Go to the Heineken brewery, and taste the beer they make.
Go into the country side, Holland is small, so almost anything is close or a two day trip away.
The Deltawerken is a big recomention, In Zeeland there are the big dams to protect holland from the water, and the Maas can be closed completely by floating doors near Hook of Holland.
Have you ever drink Heineken beer free of charge without any limits?
If not, visit Heineken Brewery located at 78 Stadhouderskade. It used to be a brewery until a few years ago, now a museum and visitors centre opened daily 10:00-18:00; entrance fee: €5; no unaccompanied children; no reservations.
Visitors are divided into groups by language. It's rather kind of movie-sound-light show then typical museum (visitors sitting on the floor watch and listen to). Then you will see the Heineken stables and the carriages carrying beer in the past. And at the end everybody together taste the Heineken beer. Unforgettable. The beer of course. Rather don't go there with your friends to celebrate your birthday!
Good if you feel tired of visiting places and want to rest for an afternoon having some drinks.
Entrance is 10 ?, but you are given 3 counters valid for 3 heinekens and at the end they give you a souvenir -a glass of Heineken.
You can understand the process of brewing, going around the rooms of the museum..etc.
On their homesite you can see the timetable..etc
Not really off the path but cool tips :
- Try different kinds of beer besides Heineken. Even though it is my favourite, the other beers offered in local spots is very good.
- You can actually roam calmly in the Red Light district if you are preferably with a Guy and if you are not too naive.
- Don't take pictures or film in the RL district even if it's really tempting, it's a form of disrespect and beleive me some guy will make sure you know that.
- Great resaurants, don't give in for the small fast food places, try out different kinds of foods as there are some great food places.
- Not all hotels are noisy and partly all-night types in the RL district.
- Download the city map to check out the street names and then check out hotels if you plan to stay there.
Heineken Brewery beer tour. Free beer after learning how they brew the world-famous beer. Not exactly off the beaten path for serious beer lovers. A few actually abuse the system and return everyday just for the free beers!
This isn't really an 'off the beaten track' item, but it's not too ordinary. And from the canals at night, it sure looks inviting.
Take a tour of one of the most famous breweries in Amsterdam. You get to have a sample of this Holland's finest export after the tour, and I gotta tell ya', free beer, I'm there!