Know about this? Rate It!
Swanet told me that the numerous variations on the windows over front doors on canalside houses were also a way of marking the address. I suspect this may have become fashionable when the stone carvings were though a bit 'passe'.
Now I've made a second visit, and also visited Delft and Leiden, I think the system was that particular shapes were used, but not repeated, in any one street. The patterns could be repeated in other streets. So, for example, you'd be looking for 'the house with two circles' (probably drawn for you) in e.g. Laangestraat.
Whatever, it is truly amazing how many variations of straight and curved lines can be made. There are also often little 'golden' additions, which I assume were used to make further differences when the street was particularly long and needed more variations.
Again, it is well worth taking the time to notice these windows as you walk the canals. Some still have their huge sticking-out circular glass sections where once a candle or lantern would have been placed.
More windows in the travelogue
- Historical Travel
Don't miss the Sat. market
As an expat living the last 20 years here I would highly recommend visiting Leiden. Fabulous collection of museums (don't miss the mummies at Rijksmuseum van Oudheden). And canals as beautiful as Amsterdam's any day. Great Sat. market.
LEIDEN. It's a pretty city, 30...
LEIDEN. It's a pretty city, 30 minutes by train East of Amsterdam. There is a very famous university.
It is pretty quiet but the nightlife is interesting due to the students. There are many interesting museums but i did not stay long enough to visit any of them..maybe next time...
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- NH Hoteles
- NH Hoteles NH Hoteles NH Hoteles
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Marblehead Neck Hotels
- Batu Feringgi Hotels
- Suwon Hotels
- Otok Solta Hotels
- Majdal Shams
- Malaysia Off The Beaten Path
- De Haan Off The Beaten Path
- Worthing Off The Beaten Path
- Lido di Venezia
- Eskilstuna Off The Beaten Path
- Death Valley National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Rotterdam Off The Beaten Path
- Dorset Off The Beaten Path
- Mount Charleston
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon Off The Beaten Path
- Paraguay Off The Beaten Path
- County Clare Off The Beaten Path