Backpack, Amsterdam

Our gear...
    by CandS
  • nighthawk's Profile Photo

by nighthawk Written Sep 12, 2002

Luggage and bags: Be careful when you look up to all those nice facades! And try to stand still or you could bang your head into either a lamppost or another person trying to pass you by.
    If you are a walk, talk and look person, maybe its an idea to pack something to protect your head?

• SCondrey's Profile Photo

by SCondrey Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: In Amsterdam, as well as Europe, the only luggage you should take is a back pack. Preferably one with wheels. I have a 2400cu in backpack and was able to take everything I needed for 3 weeks and still have room left over. I am a firm believer in PACKING LIGHT! My backpack weighed in at 27 lbs (12kg).

Once you get to Europe you will realize that those big 27' suitcases just aren't going to cut it. You have stairs to climb everywhere. In the train stations, in the hotels, everywhere. I also included in my packing one of those nylon bags that folds into itself and when we were ready to leave the continent we used it to pack dirty clothes in and packed our souveniers in our backpacks.

LOCKS: Get a set of locks for your luggage and use them in your room when you leave for the day. It is peace of mind that you get knowing that you aren't going to come back to your room and be missing something (I locked up valuables [CD player and CD's] but left toiletries and things out).

If you are traveling by train in Europe be sure to get a cable lock to fasten your backpack to the overhead rails. I have seen how quickly they (scoundrels) can come through the compartments and grab bags and run. If it is locked to the rail you can relax and enjoy the ride without keeping an eye on your bag all of the time. Again that peace of mind thing.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Black...Black...Black... Shoes, skirt, pants, sweater, jeans. Nothing says tourist in Europe like white tennis shoes. Black doesn't show the dirt, you can change they way you look with shirts and scarves. All of the fabrics in my travel wardrobe were polyester that dried quickly (I bought it at one of the department stores in Memphis. Manufacturer: Briggs Ladies Aparel)

Amsterdam is casual. Jeans will suffice. I was traveling to Paris and Rome on this trip so had to pack accordingly to those locals.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I took wash clothes and camping towels. You never get enough towels in Europe (SCondrey's a major towel hog). The camping towels were great for getting the extra water out of my clothes that I washed in the room. Helped a lot with the drying time. They do not supply face cloths in Europe you have to take your own.

Photo Equipment: We traveled with a digital camera with lots of memory (72Meg). One tip that I have is; take lots of pictures during the day with your digital then edit them at night. We did this and ended up with over 300 GOOD pictures. Another thing, these new E2 Lithium batteries, get some. They are really expensive ($10US/4 batteries) but are well worth the extra money. If you're going to have to carry battery weight carry some that last a really long time. The E2's even weigh less than conventional batteries.

Miscellaneous: Don't forget a universal sink stopper if you're going to be washing clothes in your room. Woolite is a good detergent to take.

• Ruthy2001's Profile Photo

by Ruthy2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: If you are staying in a hostel be practical about your packing - remember anything you leave lying around will get nicked and there is no point bringing 'dolly bird' clothes as there is nowhere to doll yourself up! All your clothes will be squeezed into a locker and it is by no means secure, especially in Amdsterdam - the hostel is so busy that it is impossible to keep track of everyone's comings and goings.

• donn85's Profile Photo

WHAT TO BRING

by donn85 Written Jan 16, 2007

Luggage and bags: JUST BRING A BACKPACK U DONT NEED A SUITCASE

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I WAS IN AMSTERDAM FOR A WEEK ALL I BROUGHT WAS 2 PAIRS OF JEANS 4 SHIRTS AND 2 HOODIES YOU DONT NEED ALOT OF CLOTHING

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: ALL I BROUGHT WAS SOAP, SHAMPOO, DEODORANT , TOOTH PASTE AND TOOTHBRUSH

Photo Equipment: MAKE SURE U BRING UR OWN BATTERYS THERE HARD TO FIND IN AMSTERDAM AND WHEN U FIND THEM THERE EXPENSIVE AS HELL

• l_joo's Profile Photo

by l_joo Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: This is how my luggage look like when travelling in Amsterdam, just don't carry too much of Ganjas...lol

• CandS's Profile Photo

Packing...

by CandS Written Sep 27, 2003
    Our gear...

Luggage and bags: We were lucky enough to only have day packs when we were in Amsterdam but if you have to have a big bag then take a backpack...

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good walking shoes make for a comfortable time in Amsterdam...

Instant Answers: Amsterdam