Packing for Summer, Amsterdam

Know about this?

• Packing for Summer
    by Krystynn
  • Style: "European Casual"

by ACoolJeweledMoon Written May 5, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I think I read somewhere on this site where someone suggested "black, black, black", and I now understand why that is a good suggestion. I was there in late April/early May, and it was still pretty chilly, but we are used to wearing bright colors in the spring in the Southern US so I probably looked like a tulip! The main colors people there were wearing was black, denim, army green, and tan (like cargo pants). My traveling companion and I agreed that everyone was dressed casually in a grunge sort of way. Someone else on this site mentioned "hippie" and that would fit too. And there didn't seem to be any one trend but more about individual style which was cool. A lot of items looked somewhat vintage. And if you are there during cool weather, be sure and take a scarf and boots.

• Boca24's Profile Photo

Amsterdam in the Summer

by Boca24 Written May 16, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Perfect summer weather, it was never too hot nor was it humid. During the day loose comfortable clothes; short sleaves and shorts are fine. Evenings it can get cool, so pants and long sleeve shirt works best. Layers is the key. Also bring a very comfortable pair of shoes to walk around town in.

Photo Equipment: You can get everything you would get in any developed country. Finding film or even disposable cameras are not a problem.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Packing List

by Krystynn Written Sep 12, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: First of all, ask yourself what kind of a holiday you're going to have. If you intend to do alot of sightseeing and walking, you should pack along a comfortable pair of shoes.

However, if you plan on having a relaxing holiday and visiting museums et al, then I'd suggest that you pack along some smart casuals and a lovely pair of shoes. Remember, no matter which country you are in, there are always a group of people who'd judge you by the way you dress. So, it is always advisable to look presentable at all times... unless of course, you are Madonna. Then you can get away with ANYTHING! :-)

This is what I would generally pack along with me for a SUMMER vacation abroad - say, to Europe (unless of course I'm busy conquering Petra: A pair of black jeans, a pair of denim blue jeans, 2 mini-skirts, 2 evening dresses, a pair of shorts, 4 T-shirts/ tank tops (cotton material), a swimming costume, 2 sleepwear outfits, a blazer (that'll match my daywear outfits, a pair of sandals and a pair of high-heel shoes for evening. Too many clothes? Hey, you must excuse me... I'm a woman!

You can always do some more shopping at the country you're visiting....

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: (1) Pour your face lotion, toner, cleanser et al into miniature bottles

(2) Remember, everything else should be transferred into miniature plastic bottles to save luggage space

Medicine: VERY important. Don't forget to bring it along with you e.g. a box of strong aspirins. I was down with a high fever on my last trip to Paris and had to run to the local pharmacy to grab a box of aspirin. Wanna guess how much that box of 20 aspirins cost me? US$15!!! I'm not kidding. My eyeballs nearly popped out of its sockets. Don't forget your Decolgen Pills to combat the flu bug and some Lozenges. In case your throat gives way mid-way through your trip!

These are the major pills that I bring along with me. Most importantly, you must know your body and health condition well. Some of you may be more prone to suffering from stomach ailments, so in that case, you should be packing along pills to combat that. Hope the above info will help you out a little. :-) Happy packing for your trip!

Photo Equipment: I ALWAYS, ALWAYS bring along at least 2 camaras with me... just in case one breaks down. My friends used to laugh at me.... until their one and only camera broke down. Then when they had to RELY SOLELY on me and my amateurish photographic skills, they stopped laughing. Yes, immediately. Serve them right! :-))

Miscellaneous: DON'T forget to bring along your ATM card and.... an open mind.

Remember, if your ATM card is linked to international networks like 'Cirrus', 'Plus', 'The Exchange' and 'Maestro', you can withdraw money from any ATM machines in the world. What's more, you'd even benefit from the low interbank exchange rates being given to you vis-a-vis if you were to change it at your local money-changer.

I have survived on this method for ALL my trips abroad and so far, no ATM machines have failed me. Yes, even in the remotest villages in Africa. :-)) If you haven't tried this method, I challenge you to do so today. And be pleasantly surprised at how much you can save at the end of the day using this method. I kid you not!

Photo below: That's me at Europe's #1 high-tech airport - The Schipol International Airport, one of my personal favorites (besides Changi International Airport in Singapore and, the Kansai International Airport in Osaka).

'The Tourist debauches the great monuments of antiquity, a comic figure, always inapt in his comments, incongruous in his appearance; . . . avarice and deceit attack him at every step; the shops that he patronizes are full of forgeries. . . But we need feel no scruple or twinge of uncertainty; 'We' are Travelers and cosmopolitans; the Tourist is the other fellow.' - Evelyn Waugh on the tourist.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam