Café de Klos, Amsterdam

by flynboxes
    Cafe de Klos
    by annase
  • jaybob71's Profile Photo

cafe de Klos: Best ribs EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by jaybob71 Written Feb 1, 2009

the best ribs ever!!!!!!

ribs are the speciality although they also do steaks, chicken ect.

Unusal setting for a restarant as its basically a Bar with chairs around it to eat and a few (4 tables) and more countertops to eat from.

A socialbe restarant where you may be elbow to elbow with a stranger but this adds to the ambience.

The staff are always friendly with a good sence of humour. Menu's are on their t-shirts as well as on chalk boards and the usual menu.

Quite a dark settling but this is the place to visit if you want excellent ribs/steak at a price that is not a rip off compared to the local tourist traps further up Leidseplein (and of course 100 x better here!)

Favorite Dish: Ribs with jacket pototoe, side salad with two dips (island 1000 and maionaise)

Also comes with bread but always too full to eat it!!!!!

I never eat ribs anywhere else (anywhere!!) as I know I will compare them to here and be disappointed! Not even sure if I should add this tip as I still use this restarant and it can be busy with the locals (and tourists who are lucky enough to know about it)

I always take people here and everyone always loves it!
    The photo is actually one I took the last time I ate there!

• annase's Profile Photo

Cafe de Klos: The best spare ribs in town

by annase Updated Aug 12, 2013

Cafe de Klos

This place doesn't look much from outside or inside, but it serves the best spare ribs in town. The ribs are high quality, extra lean and meaty. They are deliciously marinated, grilled crisp on the outside and tender and juicy inside, with no extra sauce slathered on before serving. If you're not into ribs that much they also do chicken. The dishes are served either barbecued or smoked. The portions are huge, and they are served with a variety of sauces, one being their own whisky sauce, cole slaw and French bread. Baked potatoes are available as a side dish.

The restaurant is tiny, so it is best to arrive by 18:00 in order to secure a table. The deco is very basic with some rectangular bar with stools at the bar, only a few tables with chairs and a few shelves with stools. It is also dimly lit, with pub atmosphere.

The place was recommended to me in early 2000 by some English guys who frequently worked in Amsterdam and some of them had been going there since the 1980s. Unfortunately, I haven't tasted their ribs, since I didn't eat red meat at the time when I visited, but their BBQ chicken was gorgeous.

Favorite Dish: BBQ Chicken with whisky sauce

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Cafe De KLOS: Best Steak in Amsterdam

by flynboxes Written Mar 17, 2005

De KLOS!

The Menu is simple here. They do steaks, the menu is printed on the staff's T-shirts. It's a bar/steakhouse complete with the dim lights and the smoke. The waiters/bartenders are great and will make anyone feel at home. They have a T-bone that comes hanging of the end of the plate soaking in juice. Most dishes come with baked potato and a salad. Bread and herb butter are a little extra but great for soaking up the juices from whatever piece of meat you may order. They also have chicken but ordering chicken here is like asking for a burger in a sushi joint.

Favorite Dish: This is a little hole in the wall place that is always packed with locals and tourists alike.
    I think just about every American flight crew knows about this place. It's proximity to the Melkweg mean you might see a band in here eating up before a gig that night

• bennieofzo's Profile Photo

De Klos: De Klos

by bennieofzo Written Aug 24, 2002

Small restaurant but very good food. Everything from the charcoal grill. Very spontaneous personell.
    Be a little early because they take no reservations and it's always a busy place.

Favorite Dish: Lambchop. Really tasty. All menu's served with a salad, 2 sauces and a big potatoe from the grill or fresh bread.
    Also good spareribs (smoked or grilled).

• Designerartgirl's Profile Photo

Cafe de Klos: Tastiest Ribs in Amsterdam

by Designerartgirl Written Feb 1, 2014

Having lived in the Netherlands for over 4 years i have been to my fair share of all you can eat ribs in amsterdam and none of them have really made much of an impact on me... so when my friends called me and asked me to join them at this place for dinner i was somewhat dubious...

I stepped in, and my first impression was that it was going to be a pub which served food... great coming from my british heritage i was happy with. A friendly barman who spoke fantastic english took our order and shortly our food arrived. Each of us had our own wooden chopping board pilled high with fat and juicy ribs... once i took one bite, i couldn't stop until my stomach was burning from eating too much.. i ended up having to give one rack 9 (i had 3 racks of ribs) to one of my male companions with a limitless stomach. This came with sauces, bread, salad and a baked potato.

Favorite Dish: Ribs.... Get the mix of both smoked and bbq'd... you wont regret it!

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Café de Klos
3.5 out of 5 stars