Canal Boat Candlelight Dinners, Amsterdam

Prins Hendrikkade 25 - 1012 TM Amsterdam +31-20-5301092

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Canal cruise dinner: Canal boat Candlelight Dinners

by malianrob Updated Nov 25, 2008

We thought that this would be very romantic and it was. The dinner was so-sobut it was pricey. It was about 69.00 euro per person. It included a five course meal, two 1/2hourcruise around the canals, tip was included, and the best part was it was all you can drink although they dont tell you that when you buy your ticket or when you get on the boat. I was sure we were going to get another bill at the end of the cruise.
    When we got to our table, there was bread at our table with butter and a garlic type butteron the side. You are then served champagne and water. Then there are some small appetizers, then there was a soup that was really good served in a cup. I thought you drank it like a drink until I saw other people using a spoon.
    When we purchased out tickets we were given a choice of salmon or beef/turkey as a main course. Then there was a dessert dish with three small desserts for you to sample. Then you are offered coffe or tea. The whole time they are coming by your table to offer you red or white wine. What we werent told was that you can have beer enstead. We found that out afterwards. Some people were getting alittle tipsy. The boat doesnt move much at all and you can even forget that you are on the water. Unfortunately I didnt get very good pictures of Amsterdam on this cruise because it was rainny and too dark.
    The service was very very good. The staff was very attentive and our glasses were always full.

Favorite Dish: The best food of this 5 course meal,for me,was the soup. It was a cappuccino of celery and carrotsor something like that. It tasted like a creme of.....something...soup.
    It didnt taste like cappuccino at all. It was really good. Rob went to the restroom on the boat which was right next to the kitchen and he said that the soup came from a bag.
    By the way, the bathroom is tiny!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Local Dutch Cuisine: Romantic canal cruise dinner at 12

by Jenniflower Updated Jun 6, 2006

Not quite what we expected

We went on a romantic midnight cruise on the canal.

I have talked about this night cruise on my night time tip... it certainly wasnt a favourite you might have guessed! Not good value for money at all.

Favorite Dish: I cant speak of too much here as all they offered us were a couple of different cheeses and grapes.

They were fine, but quantity and assortment were short.

They gave us a bottle of red and a bottle of white to share with the couple we were sititng opposite (and touching their knees as the table was like an ironing board!) which was fine, not great wine but not plonk either.

The food itself wasnt what cost alot I am sure, it was the actual cruise itself, and the commentary.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam