Canaletto, Amsterdam

by seamandrew
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Canaletto: Neighborhood Italian Place

by nicolaitan Written Apr 1, 2013

There are two sure things in the world of Italian restaurants --

1-every major city in the world will have lots of Italian restaurants in the mid tier, what we would call in the United States " local Italian places"
    2-most every city will have at least one named after the family of famous 17-18th C Italian landscape painters.

Canaletto fits the bill perfectly - no aspirations to haute cuisine or service, no innovations, just reliable food in a modest setting and at reasonable prices. Location is perfect - halfway between the back end of the Rijksmuseum and museum quarter and the upscale shopping street Hoofstraat. Decor is typical with faux stone walls and pictures of Italy and the servers are most certainly Italian ( or nearby Balkan ). The menu is familiar - pizzas, pastas, salads, and the usual chicken veal and fish dishes.

We were pleased with our salads, pizza, and two shared entrees within the limits of the restaurant, a nice change from the Dutch oriented meals we had been eating. They must be doing something right because the place was packed with locals from the time we arrived and waited for a short time for a table till the time we left, no seats unoccupied.

• GosiaM's Profile Photo

Ristorante Canaletto pizzeria: Don't go there!!!!

by GosiaM Written Jul 20, 2012

Horrible service!!! It wasn't even busy when we came in to the restaurant. no one greeted us so we sat down and waited 2 min to get menus. A male waiter took the order, he was ok. Our food was brought to the table by a female waitress medium heigh with long dark hair tied back. She came with the food and said: spaghetti bolognese, when i said yes, that's me she just dumped the plates on the table and walked away without a word! We felt like we were not welcome there! My boyfriend wanted some cheese for his pasta but he wasn't offered any!! He stopped the waitress twice to ask for some cheese. First time she just said: one moment and she walked away and was chatting to her colleague for good 5 min. She came to us and asked us what we wanted, when my boyfriend said he would like to have some parmesan she said ok and walked away. She ignored him and didn't bring the cheese. I didn't even eat half of my meal. Despite the fact that my pasta was dry and there was barely any sauce in it, no one asked us if we enjoyed our meal!!!The rude waitress spoilt our meal and we just wanted to pay and leave asap. I have visited many restaurants in many different countries but I never had as bad meal and as rude service as I had in this restaurant. I also hear a guy sitting 2 tables from us talking to a table next to him about the food and they all were saying the food was rubbish! it wasn't only us that didn't like the food and the service!!!

Favorite Dish: none

• zuriga's Profile Photo

CANALETTO: Great Argentinian Beef

by zuriga Updated Jul 9, 2007

Despite the name, Canaletto is not an Italian place but rather specializes in Argentinian beef. I'd been beef deprived for some months, so my tenderloin served with 3 giant prawns was a real feast. This is real Argentinian meat... and I'm told the food is more tasty than the Gaucho chain that also advertises the same.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Canaletto: Canaletto

by seamandrew Updated Jul 12, 2003

Canaletto Restaurant, Amsterdam

Friendy service with great food.

Favorite Dish: Filetto Gorgonzola...this was Filet Mignon, cooked to perfection and doused with a delicious gorgonzola sauce. The combination was great! Elisabeth tried vegetarian Pizza and it too was delicious!

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Canaletto
83 Opinions