Haring Happen, Amsterdam

4 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews

Raw herring onion and gherkin sandwich
    by Chinggis_n_Borte
  • Volendammer Vishandel Plat - Amsterdam North
    Volendammer Vishandel Plat - Amsterdam...
    by pieter_jan_v
  • Vishuisje at the Prinsengracht co Utrechtsestraat
    Vishuisje at the Prinsengracht co...
    by pieter_jan_v

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Seafood /Herring: Broodje Haring!

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 16, 2013

Your visit to Amsterdam cannot be complete without trying a "Hollandse Nieuwe" a.k.a. "Zoute Haring" (Salty herring).

My favorite stand was at the Waag on the Nieuwmarkt square (but the owner told me he would stop in 2009, and so he did).

My # 2 choice is in front of the Westerkerk (near the Anne Frank house). They also sell a fabulous crab salad.

My #3 is Stubbe´s at bridge to the Haarlemmerdijk. Like #2, there´s more than just raw herring.

Favorite Dish: "Broodje Haring" (White bun with raw herring), with some onions.

Westerkerk Haringkraam De Gigant  (Herring stand) Stubbe��s Haring Volendammer Vishandel Plat - Amsterdam North Frens Haringhandel - Koningsplein Vishuisje at the Prinsengracht co Utrechtsestraat
    • Photography

• Seafood Bar at Schipol

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 19, 2006

I didn't fancy the seafood here as it was only mid morning but had it been nearer lunch time I might have been tempted. The other off-putting factor was that me and P only had 5E left between us and I wanted to get rid of my small change. She had a Snickers bar and a coke.
    Oh and if you are here and have a bit more than 5E in small change and feel like doing a bit of shopping, don't forget to visit the Tax Free Winkelen :)

Favorite Dish: I had the freshly squeezed orange juice - it's prepared right in front of you...like in some of those chinese restaurants - the only difference is I wasn't asked to choose my oranges personally... oh well.. can't have everything. It was still delicious and I used up 2.50E in 20 cent pieces :))

Orange Fish

• Altena Seafood: Excellent Herring

by factor15 Written Aug 24, 2005

This is not a restaurant but a seafood stall. Here they only have herring and other seafood. No fried fisch. It was the best herring I've ever tasted. It is next to the Rijksmuseum across the canalbusstop.

Favorite Dish: Try the herring just plain, no onions like lots of people do. Onions are only for not so tasty herring to disguise the taste according to the owner of this stall

Altena Seafood Herring

• ChrsStrl's Profile Photo

Seafood /Herring: Good food, elegant restaurant

by ChrsStrl Written Jul 11, 2004

Really pleasingly cooked fish which they say is cooked in the Italian way - but don't think spaghetti! Whatever, it provides good food and a relaxed and quiet place to eat. The best fish I have ever tasted.

Favorite Dish: Any of the fish!

Just a bridge

• gharibeh's Profile Photo

Lucius: If you are a lover of Seafood, don't miss this

by gharibeh Written Jul 27, 2004

Very kindly and gentle staff. The food was excellent, ask them for the "catch of the day" or let them recommend you their speciality. One disadvantage is that all the tables are smokers tables, and if you have problems with smokers, it could be a problem. Try the eel soup with their tasty bread and end your meal with ICE cream and fresh berry.

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Raw Herring, Onion and Gherkin - street food: Cause of Breaking up with your partner

by Chinggis_n_Borte Updated Oct 13, 2015

Yesterday we had a raw herring (fish) with bread roll and fresh onions and pickles. It is a delicious Dutch delicacy and we loved it. We were told by the Captain of the boat canal tour we took that if you want to break up with your partner, eat this raw herring and by the smell of your breath, it is one way to end a relationship.

Chinggis K

Raw herring onion and gherkin sandwich

• SilverVelvet's Profile Photo

SilverVelvet's Restaurant Tip

by SilverVelvet Updated Aug 25, 2002

Just to the right of this photo is a little takaway stand. I never the name of the proud owner, but most of Amstedam probably does. He was a local legend surrounded by newspaper clippings and articles in praise of his humble deli stand. He spoke just about every language in the book or used animated gestures if a stray language managed to slip by his well trained ears. His stand was filled with seafoods covered in mayo, salads covered in mayo and snacks - probably covered in mayo too.

Favorite Dish: Raw herring

• Tanechka's Profile Photo

You are joking! Me and my...

by Tanechka Written Aug 24, 2002

You are joking! Me and my friend bought beer, some seafood salads and enjoy our eating directly on the embankment. But as I've noticed there are a lot of that kind places,so try ,in this city I prefer such picnics as we've done.

• danmcf's Profile Photo

Stubbe's Haring stand: When in Rome, as they say...

by danmcf Written May 24, 2008

The fact that it's in the midst of the tourist area, should be a warning.
    I've had the herring at a couple different stands, this wasn't the best.

At its best, it's kinda' like sushi; at its less than best, it's just plain 'fishy'.

Favorite Dish: We had the herring with onions; they've got more to choose from though. I'd probably suggest trying something cooked.

does her expression say, 'great stuff'?

• wan2go's Profile Photo

Seafood /Herring: Latest update: Dont count on Van Altenas

by wan2go Written Jul 2, 2007

A warning to hungry VT's!!! I went to the Van Gogh at the end of June when I noticed The Van Altena was closed down for an unknown reason, and I was starving to death when I reached there!!!! So dont count on it (maybe at least a month??) it didnt seem to be functional in the neardays.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Seafood /Herring: Try the national snack: Haring

by heryanta Written Aug 14, 2007

OK, if anyone ask me what is the most celebrated national snack of Holland I'd have to say "Haring".

What is it? Well, it's raw, salted, slimy herring fish either eaten on its own or with some onions and bread.

Is it tasty? Not in a million years.
    Is it filling? Not at all.
    Is it cheap? Not really.

So uhm why would I recommend you to try it? Well it's a novelty, isn't that partly why you travel to strange places? :)

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Haringstal A. van Dok: Eat herring with your hand.

by Jerelis Written Mar 19, 2014

I don’t get to it as often as I would like to, but this is one of my favorite spots to visit after a visit to a business costumer in the city of Amsterdam. Right here it is just great on a afternoon just to taste some of the finest fish in town. After I visited this costumer at the Lindengracht I usually make my way over to the small but cozy cabin like store which is situated in the middle of the newly renovated Haarlemmerplein. In contrast to some of the new buildings this place has been here for as long as I can remember and still looks the same as it did decades ago.

I guess it’s typically Dutch but I am a true herring fan, and especially the one they sell here! You can eat it on a white bun with fine chopped onions and pickles but I like to eat mine straight out of my hand while holding it up by its tail. It might seem a bit odd but I can assure you that this is the best way of tasting a herring and nobody will look at you like you’re crazy. The people at the store are also very friendly and they do a superb job of keeping it fresh and cleaning the fish so that it hardly ever contains bones (this is where a lot of fish stores go wrong!). Try if you dare and you will gain a lot of Dutch experience points!

Tip: Go here in the morning or early in the afternoon to taste the fish at its best.

Just a great spot!