Hoopman, Amsterdam

Hoopman Irish Cafe
    by dustmon
    Menu decisions can be so difficult
    by garridogal
  • "If the fries are limp, I'm leaving!"
    by garridogal
  • dustmon's Profile Photo

Hoopman: Leidseplein Irish Pub

by dustmon Written Sep 16, 2010

Hoopman Irish Cafe

People often say to stay away from Leidseplein restaurants, and in general I would agree, but Hoopman is one Irish Cafe that I can recommend---the normal Irish food is done with integrity---the lamb stew, the bangers and mash, the soda bread and of course the Guiness. You can sit outside if it is nice or in the confines of the dark pub. Breakfast is hearty and not too expensive either.

Favorite Dish: Guiness

• intertraveler's Profile Photo

Hoopman: Nice place for a drink or eat.

by intertraveler Written Nov 3, 2006

We stopped here as it was our last day and it was raining we saw this bar and decided to shelter from the rain.

As this is an Irish bar there are plenty off beers to choose from I am more of a lager person and I like the draft Amstels not quite as bitter as the Heineken.

This is very popular and decorated as you would expect.

Favorite Dish: Christine had a steak sandwich I had a cheese and bacon burger and fries. The burger was very tasty which I enjoyed.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

One of these...: Pub Grub on the Leidseplein

by garridogal Updated Oct 13, 2006

Menu decisions can be so difficult

We had lunch and beers at one of the restarant/bars that have outdoor tables on the Leidseplein. I'm not sure which one of these restauarants it was as there are so many on there and at some of the tables, they'll bring you various menus to choose one. Ours was a basic Irish place with pub grub and a menu that wouldn't be unfamiliar to any American, loaded with burgers, sandwiches and yes, even Guac.

Favorite Dish: I had baguette with ham and cheese that was fine. I really wished I'd gotten a cheeseburger instead as did most of the others I was with and they looked pretty good. I really enjoyed the french fries or frittes which I dipped in Mayonnaise the way the Dutch do. It was an indulgent lunch - I never eat fries! But hey, I was on vacation!

• Study Abroad