Places to eat in Amsterdam

Most Viewed Restaurants in Amsterdam

• MM212's Profile Photo

Brasserie OCCO: Fantastic

by MM212 Updated Jan 6, 2015

Located within the Dylan Hotel, Brasserie OCCO serves excellent French dishes with Dutch touches. Service is impeccable and the ambiance very appealing. The chef and kitchen are the same as those for the adjacent restaurant Vinkeles (also within the hotel). I have not eaten at Vinkeles, but it is considered one of the best in Amsterdam with a Michelin star, so all this translates well for OCCO. I've eaten here a couple of times in the past while staying at the Dylan, but I returned for an early 2014/2015 New Year's Eve dinner and was completely satisfied. The restaurant served the regular a la carte menu not some overpriced special menu as many other restaurants do. Sometime, I hope to try Vinkeles as well.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• MM212's Profile Photo

Proeverej 274: Great little restaurant

by MM212 Updated Jan 3, 2015

Recommended by our hotel concierge, Proeverej was no disappointment. It is located on Prinsengracht canal in an unpretentious dining room with a friendly staff. The menu is a mix of French and Dutch - we had delicious venison. Dessert was excellent too.

Proeverej in Dec 2014 Proeverej in Dec 2014
    • Wine Tasting

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Several: Centraal Station Fast Food

by pieter_jan_v Updated Sep 28, 2013

In the main West corridor of the Amsterdam Central Station a number of fast food shops are located. Have a look at Smullers, De Broodzaak, Albert Heyn (AH) To Go, Julia's, New York Pizza and Kiosk. There certainly will be something to your liking.

AH to go De Broodzaak Smullers KIOSK New York Pizza
    • Trains

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Dutch and exotic food around...for all tastes

by isolina_it Updated Sep 25, 2013

Favorite Dish: Dutch Pancakes are really so good to me, both with cheese and ham or sweet syrups on top. They are really good at making them so soft and tasty. Same thing for the typical pea-soup, very nice to eat in winter.

But what I also love most and recommend if you like exotic food are the Surinamese restaurants, very small and simple places, food is cheap but in big portions (exactly the opposite of duch food...)

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Kiosk: Museumplein

by grandmaR Written Mar 18, 2013

As we walked back in Museumplein along the kiosks and bought sandwiches and a coke for my granddaughter for 10 euros. I told her she could not buy chips. They would just make her thirsty and she does not carry water with her as I do. Also there is no food value in them. We did buy an ice cream cone for each of us (4 euros for two small cones) and they were very good - creamy and rich.

Stall selling ice cream Coke sign My granddaughter eating lunch Sandwich Sandwich and coke on the table
    • Museum Visits

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

The Lunch ..Volendam: In a fishing village near Amsterdam

by wise23girl Written Jul 9, 2012

We were on a day trip out of Amsterdam and Volendam was the lunch stop. Our guide suggested we might like to eat in 'The Lunch"....prices are reasonable...they are quick to serve you...and the food is good...and she was correct.

We chose some traditional food including roasted eel...not bad...and some first class shrimps...one dish cold and one dish hot to share.

We were lucky the guide was at our table and helped us choose.

The restaurant is so popular the fish is as fresh as can be.

Apple pie to finish this delightfull ...yet 'different ' meal

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Rijsttafels: Indonesian food

by rexvaughan Written Jun 27, 2012

I think Rick Steves regards Indonesian food as local cuisine in Amsterdam and the Netherlands so we have had rijsttafels on each of our visits. The word is, of course, Dutch and literally means rice table. It is a pretty elaborate meal consisiting of many dishes served with rice. For me it is always a mystery as to what all the dishes are but the ones I have had have all been delicious. We stopped in for one in Amsterdam this trip and I do not have notes or memory as to what it was. The pictures are from this meal.

• SandiMandi's Profile Photo

DUBBEL eten&drinken: Reasonably priced restaurant near Leidseplein

by SandiMandi Written Apr 20, 2012

My first impression of Dubbel Restaurant was not very good. It looked quite cramped with tables very close to each other and the place was packed. We had reserved a table, but there was no reservation sign on the table, and so I guess they just showed us the first available table near the front door. The service however was friendly and most of the staff spoke English fluently.

They had a plentiful menu with lots of choices for starters and main courses. The prices were very reasonable, main courses about 13-20 EUR, from hamburgers to beef tenderloin. In my opinion the food was good, I had Salmon fillet with white wine sauce, salad and fries. But my fiancé did not like his Dutch beefsteak which was too rare to his taste (though he had ordered it well done). We didn’t have dessert, but they looked very good!

• jo104's Profile Photo

Soup Kitchen: Soup & sandwich

by jo104 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is anew concept in amsterdam, the soups are all homemade & delicious
    Actually there are a number of places just doing homemade soup but this franchise will do the whole caboodle.

The sandwiches are huge so don't be fooled when ordering
    I ordered the special for Eur 6.50 which turned out to be a spinach soup with red pesto stirred in, including 3 slices of homemade bread + a huge brown bread beef sandwich - more like half a loaf.

Favorite Dish: Soup

• tweetycaro's Profile Photo

ISOLA BELLA: don't eat here !!!!!

by tweetycaro Updated Apr 4, 2011

We were really hungry and the art-deco style of the façade of the Isola Bella took our attention. Bad decision, service sucked, it was like they didn't like their jobs, and way to expesive for what you get. I'm sure there are better italian places in amsterdam

Favorite Dish: we had parmigiane melanzana (10,5€), tagliatelli cicalla (14,5€) and pizza Isola bella (12,5€), we were still hungry when we left that place.

• geoffboxer's Profile Photo

Plates and pints.: Watch out for the "speeler" outside !!!

by geoffboxer Updated Apr 4, 2011

In my quest to try somewhere different I was daft enough to be talked into this place by the man drumming up trade outside. BIG mistake. The menue looked OK and I sat at a table. Place was fairly full, although from the bags and such,I think it was mainly tourist passing trade.Before the waiter came, the speeler sat two startled looking Germans at my table!! Sayings,"Its OK,hes my friend. He dont mind".As soon as a table came free,the two muttered someting and moved to it. The waiter, who was Belgian,did speak English. The meal,Mixed fried fish, consisted of a heap of battered squid rings and mussels wit a med sized prawn on top,some tired looking lettuce leaves and a dish of fries.I had ordered a bottle of Chianti @e21. He brought the Classico at e35.He took it away, brought it back and obviousley couldnt find what I ordered. Couldnt understand him but I gathered it would be at the e21 price. WRONG.I of course complained and told him the mael was rubbish but I still had to cough up the full price.The speeler who spoke perfect English said if I didnt it would come off the waiters wages !!! Dont go there.

Favorite Dish: see above.

• PamelaJ1956's Profile Photo

Hotel Restaurant DE LUTINE in Volendam: Where's The Beef? I'm about to tell you......

by PamelaJ1956 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food at the Hotel Restaurant De Lutine is phenominal to say the least. Huge portions and just plain TASTEY! The ambiance is lovely, with much warmth. There is a spectacular view of the boats in the harbor from the front windows of the restaurant. The color scheme is made up of rich browns and earth tones. Antiques, rich wood finishes and very comfortable furniture make you feel right at home. Anyone with big hips would be quite happy at De Lutine's. Excellent, friendly service. Everyone who worked at the restaurant seemed happy to be working there. That said a lot to me.

Favorite Dish: The Spare Rib dinner. Some of the best Spare Ribs I've ever tasted. I'm from Chicago (home of the great meat packers and stockyards), therefore I know great beef. There were so many home cooked side dishes 'til I didn't know where to begin. The ribs were mouth watering, meaty and tender. I savored every bite. I had an outstanding ice cream dessert, which I believe was called, Dame Blanche. Don't say whipped cream to them. :) We could barely walk when my friend and I left the restaurant.

Sea Harbor by Hotel Restaurant De Lutine
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Singles

• ingridf_nl's Profile Photo

Puyck: Lekker!

by ingridf_nl Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is such a wonderful restaurant. The service is friendly and courteous, and the food!!! Oh My. The food.

Perfect and delectible flavours, aromas, and combinations... Each bite more satisfying than the last.... And the atmosphere is both intimate and very social.

This is my favorite restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The most amazing thing were crispy wontons with goats cheese, served with a small crispy salad with a balsamic vinigrette. The combination of the flavors was increadible.

both cosy and classy

• Pounder73's Profile Photo

Abraxis: Coffe Shop - (not for food, nor coffee)

by Pounder73 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a younger hipper lively crowd with more of party atmosphere. Two stories tall, and even more stories if the walls could talk. They specialize in the space shakes/cakes, which my friend found to be very potent. Ask the employees what their favorite shake flavor is, it is probably not on the menu, and very TASTY. Cool house and techno beats flowing.

Favorite Dish: Space Shakes - a hash milkshake
    Space cakes - you can figure this out.
    Hash Bon Bons

in preperation in your departure out of Amsterdam, you can have a space shake, it will treat you right, (or wrong), for the next few hours. great for the overnighter sleeper to Berlin - for example.

• sinjabc's Profile Photo

Albert Heijn Supermarkets: Great Grocery Chain

by sinjabc Updated Mar 4, 2011

The Albert Heijn supermarkets are everywhere and have great selection of a la carte salads (pasta, chicken, mozzarella & tomato € 4.99), entrees (chicken, salmon € 7.99), cheese and ham slices, crackers (olive oil and oregano), biscuits, appletart (€ 1.99), waffle cookies and fruit smoothies (€ 1.99).

Amsterdam Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
Banks Mansion Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Restaurants

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
Amsterdam has more than 2000 restaurants. About any kitchen you can imagine is represented. Have a look at the tips our members wrote. Look beyond the most popular, because there are so many hidden...
Map of Amsterdam