Places to eat in Amsterdam

Most Viewed Restaurants in Amsterdam

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Toko Dun Yong: Chinese foodstuffs, crafts and more

by dustmon Written Sep 26, 2010

This huge store has foodstuffs, chinese crafts and gifts, handicrafts and housewares----just about everything, but you might need to know a little chinese when you go in!
    There is a notice on the building that it was built in 1644!!!

dunyong

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Noodermarkt: Make your delicious Amsterdam style sandwiches

by Birsen Written Jul 10, 2010

We went to NoorderMarkt in Joordan area on a Saturday afternoon aroud 4 pm. There was a food market. We bought delicious sandwich bread and cheese and ham from diffrent stands, the vendors helped for cutting and preparing the sandwiches for us. We set by the canal on a bench enjoyed them. One of the best sandwiches I had in a long time...

NoorderMarkt
    • Women's Travel

• deb.workman's Profile Photo

Restaurant Havenrijk in Uitgeest: Best dinner I've ever had!

by deb.workman Updated Apr 5, 2010

Havenrijk
    The Restaurant Havenrijk is a charming and beautifully decorated harbor restaurant in Uitgeest (a 20 minute train ride outside of Amsterdam). Upon walking in, you notice the amazing attention to detail that was put into the establishment. The walls were white painted brick with accents everywhere along the theme of black and white. Paintings, vases, lamps, flowers on the tables, hanging lights and plants all added to the relaxing and cozy atmosphere.

Our appetizer was a three-tier combination platter consisting of bread with tomato dipping sauce, goat cheese stuffed dough pouches (my favorite), thinly sliced beef with sundried tomato and cheese topping, cheese stuffed mushrooms, and a selection of seafood (mini-shrimp, mini-lobster, smoked salmon slices, and eel). The appetizer itself is quite filling but a great starter! My favorites were definitely the stuffed goat cheese pieces and the lobster. For two people, I believe the cost was 12.50 euros for the platter which is not bad for the amount of food you get and the quality of the dish. (Be careful though, I was almost full after just the appetizer! (-: )

As a main dish, I had Stuffed Pork (Gevulde Varkenshaas) and it was honestly the best meal I have ever eaten in my life. I am still amazed at how good it was!! Basically, the dish consists of a generous cut of pork (VERY tender and juicy -- I confused it for beef upon first bite) topped with warm herb cheese and thinly sliced ham. The combination of the three ingredients leaves me at a loss for words. AMAZING!

On the side was a baked cinnamon-glazed pear (again, very tasteful and tender) and two scoops of pureed vegetables (red cabbage and I believe a kind of fruit, but I'm not exactly positive about that). It has been nearly a week since I ate this meal and I am still raving about it to people as if I just ate it!

The dish was slightly pricey, about 18.50 euros, but worth every cent! When I return to Uitgeest for Queen’s Day I plan on returning to Restaurant Havenrijk to have it again! :) The restaurant has extrememly pleasant staff, an overall great atmosphere with great location (right on the harbor) and to top it off, fantastic food! Without a doubt I recommend taking the trip out to Uitgeest to taste the heavenly food at Restaurant Havenrijk! :)

Sidenote/Tip: Proost = (pronounced purr-ooh-st; if you can roll the “purr“ you’re golden) it means “cheers” when drinking. (Havenrijk has a fabulous wine list!)

At my table. The decorations are gorgeous!

• jo104's Profile Photo

Dinner Club: Delicious meal served at the training school

by jo104 Updated Aug 14, 2009

When I visit with Han we are always looking for new restaurants to try and this dining experience is something else. Enjoy a 4 course meal complete with table service. Your servers and the chefs are all students enrolled in fine dining training, the baby chicken was carved at our table under the watchful eye of the manager / trainer.

They aim to make your dining experience of silver service quality although some of the waiters are rather nervous. I ordered a glass of wine which was accidentally spilt over the table. We were moved to another table our wine replaced and after that everything was just perfect. Whilst you enjoy your coffee and petit fours you are requested to rate the dining experience. I suspect being English speaking made the staff a bit more anxious so perhaps this restaurant is best to enjoy with a local.

The meal costs Eur25 reserve weekdays 8am – 5.30pm make sure you specify vegetarian or no fish.

• jo104's Profile Photo

t' Blauwe Teehuis: The Blue Teahouse

by jo104 Written Aug 14, 2009

We didn't actually eat here but Han suggests it as a nice place for a cup of tea or coffee and slice of cake whilst in Vondelpark. There are muffins and cake as well as savoury dishes.

It was built in 1937 and is built in an interesting round circle giving a wonderful overview of the park.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Wilma & Albert's: Killer Steakhouse in Haarlem

by davequ Updated Apr 7, 2008

IN HAARLEM

Not in Amsterdam, but just a quick 15-min trainride to Haarlem, (or about 15 miles by bicycle) - it's worth the trip.

Wilma & Albert's has some of the best steaks in Nederlands.

Then you can walk around Haarlem and take a quick train back, or continue on west to the beach at Zandvoort.

Favorite Dish: Steak steak, meat with meat sauce.
    Opening hours: 12.00 to 24.00 hours daily

Wilma's T-Bones are lekker
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Ouderkerk aan de Amstel

by Pijlmans Updated Dec 15, 2007

The village Ouderkerk aan de Amstel has several very good and established restaurants:

PRAQ
    Groot Paardenburg
    Klein Paardenburg
    't Jagershuis
    Ron Blaauw
    't Deurtje
    Lute

To avoid unpleasant surprises: the quality comes with a price-tag. Check out the websites of the restaurants to get an idea of the prices.

Most of the restaurants offer free parking (something very convenient and hard to find in Amsterdam).

See my Ouderkerk aan de Amstel pages for details

Ouderkerk aan de Amstel

• Bushman23's Profile Photo

Fast Food: On the go food

by Bushman23 Written Oct 12, 2007

Based on the assumption that a fair percentage of people wandering the streets are going to have the munchies, snack bars and take away spots are a common occurence throughout the city... i made use of them onoccasion :-)

Favorite Dish: My favourite take-away was the kebab from one of the indian spots. HUGE, and very tasty...

One of the many fast food joints...

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

various: General Info on food in the Netherlands

by el_ruso Written Aug 29, 2007

typical local food are pancakes (pankeken) that are basically thick crepes served flat and filled similarly to a pizza with melted cheese and sausage (or a number of other fillings). The other type is a "fricadelen" - a long mild sausage served very hot and cut into small pieces. It is served with a small plastic fork to let you eat them - very thoughtful and convenient!

If you want to eat something more substantial, but don't want to waste time or money, there are many places on Damrak, the avenue leading from the train station. The location is probably not the most picturesque, but there is plenty of restaurants, and the prices are good. You can have a steak with potatoes type of a thing for about E12.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Broodje van Kootje: Simple, good, cheap sandwiches

by heryanta Written Aug 8, 2007

Broodje van Kootje is a great place to fill you grumbling stomach when you're on a tight budget.

It is a very simple deli offering sandwiches both warm and cold at the Spui.

Always good fresh ingredients ... good cheese and meat.

I went to this place a lot when I just need food instead of a full meal ... and almost always only dropping less than 5 euro's.

• cleg's Profile Photo

Better food nowadays.

by cleg Updated Jul 16, 2007

After visiting Amsterdam 7 years ago and not being overjoyed at the choice of food, I was worried that I may have to resort to eating only junk food again. However I was pleasently surprised at the choice of food to eat. There seem to be many more Italian Restaurants which I love, more cafes, more sandwich shops / bakerys, and a juice shop which makes fresh fruit drinks / smoothies, yummy!! I ate a lot better this time around which made the whole holiday a lot more enjoyable.

So those of you who are worried about junk food only being on the menu, it's safe to say it isn't.

Favorite Dish: I loved the fruit shop, bakerys and Italian restaurants.

• cleg's Profile Photo

Italian Restaurants / Pizzeria: Shop around!

by cleg Written Jul 14, 2007

When in Amsterdam make sure you check out the Italian restaurants, they do some nice food. However, you want to shop around a bit, check out their menus and walk about until you find a restaurant in your price bracket. We went to 2 Italian's, the first one wasn't the cheapest but the food was good and for two main meals and 2 drinks it was 30 euros. The second place was cheaper and the food was even better, again two main meals and 2 drinks 17 euros, bargain! The second restaurant was called 'La Traviata', I can't remember the name of the first one. Both had a nice atmosphere, the staff were ok although rushed off their feet.

Favorite Dish: We ate pizza and pasta dishes, both good.

• Vishandel Theo Schilder and ZN: Best Seafood

by jonbarb709 Written Jun 16, 2007

Indoor and Outside seating. You picked your fresh fish and they cooked it right there and brought it to your table. It was great. We ate outside, had a small bottle of wine and enjoyed the great weather (June) the great food and people watched. This was one of the highlights of our trip. The staff was very helpful.

Favorite Dish: We ordered french fries, and had some of the fresh fish fried. It was delicious. The selection was excellent.

• Vishandel Theo Schilder and ZN: Best Seafood

by jonbarb709 Written Jun 16, 2007

Indoor and Outside seating. You picked your fresh fish and they cooked it right there and brought it to your table. It was great. We ate outside, had a small bottle of wine and enjoyed the great weather (June) the great food and people watched. This was one of the highlights of out trip. The staff was very helpful.

• Arjaree's Profile Photo

Local Dutch Cuisine: The Dutch Balls!

by Arjaree Written Apr 10, 2007

It's a must to try these kroket or dutch balls. Not really sure of the ingredients but from tasting several of them I would say fried stuffed potato with minced pork...dip a ball in a dutch mustard...hot and crispy...yum!

Amsterdam Hotels

The Greenhouse Effect
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Restaurants

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
Amsterdam has more than 2000 restaurants. About any kitchen you can imagine is represented. Have a look at the tips our members wrote. Look beyond the most popular, because there are so many hidden...
Map of Amsterdam