Madre Maria, Amsterdam

Nieuwendijk 40 - 1012 ML Amsterdam +31-20-3207164

• Madre Maria
    by Hellfirejen
  • rumplestiltzikin's Profile Photo

Madre Maria - Argentinian Restaurant Amsterdam: Go for the decor, otherwise go past it.

by rumplestiltzikin Updated Jul 18, 2012

The decor in this place is extremely artistic, well imagined and elegantly executed, with nice gentle ambient lighting. Unfortunately, even with so many great singers and musicians that Argentina is famous for, all they could play was an old CD of Norah Jones over and over and over again! Argggghhh!!

We ordered a rib eye steak and a fillet steak 200gm each. The stated price on the menu was marginally (about 12%) higher than we are used to at similar restaurants in the Netherlands, but we were not about to go away for a €4 difference, so we continued.

To our utter chagrin, the steak sauce was an additional €3.50 each, the small pieces of bread were €2 each, the salad to go with it was €5 each, a small jacket potato €5.... every darn thing was extra!!! I have never seen this before in all my travels throughout Europe!

The service was very charming though, and the food arrived very quickly too. The extras were in rational propotions as well. The steaks however were a different story... nicely done, but nothing "Argentinian" about them. About 75 gm tops, and probably bought at the neighbouring C1000 supermarket (a not so upmarket supermarket chain in NL).

Favorite Dish: The grilled chorizo was delicious. Very small portions, but nice!

• Hellfirejen's Profile Photo

Madre Maria: Best Steakhouse in Dam!

by Hellfirejen Updated Mar 7, 2009

We spent a fair while wandering around Amsterdam trying to find somewhere nice, but not too over the top to get something to eat. We came across Madre Maria in a street just round the corner from Damrak (Niewej**** soemthing). Its right next to another, more expensive Argentinian Steakhouse, but this one had appeal. We stopped to look at the menu and the waitier came to the door to tell us of their specials, he was friendly and we went in. It is decked out in dark, intimate, small booths but not uncomfortable with a sort of rainforesty theme. We ordered Argentinian sausages and meat patties for starters, both of which were amazingly beautiful! They brought us out bread with garlic butter too which was lovely! We ordered the beef for main, both had the same, with side salad and chips, it came as a kebab with peppers, and again, was delicious! I like my meat well done and most of this meat was cooked enough for me, without it being burnt. All of the meat is cooked on an open grill in the back of the restaurant. For dessert I had the tirimasu, again, amazing and my partner had the lemon ice cream. The whole meal only came to 60 euros but we gave them a fair tip as we were so pleased with the service! The food was amazing, the setting was great and the waiters were friendly, one of them was bantering with us, saying that they had no spoons and the tradition in amsterdam was to eat dessert with our fingers! We'd definately go back again, go try it, and get the meat patties to start!!!

UPDATE
    We returned to this restaurant on our recent trip, and it is still our firm favourite. The staff we're still friendly, we love the decor and the food is excellent. This time I had the Chicken which I ordered with a jacket potato with sour cream - delicious! My partner had a rump steak with chips which was so tender and nicely cooked! Part of the reason we return to Amsterdam is because of this restaurant!

Favorite Dish: The meat patties, the pastry is warm and delicious and the meat is so tender and succulant, its amazingly good!

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Madre Maria
310 Opinions