Manneken Pis, Amsterdam

Damrak 41 - 1012 LK Amsterdam +31-346-554102

by pieter_jan_v
    by pieter_jan_v
  • From here walk straight ahead, it's ~ 1 min. walk
    From here walk straight ahead, it's ~ 1...
    by Nor_Cal_Brad
  • davequ's Profile Photo

Manneken Pis / Vlames Frites: The Secret is in the Sauce

by davequ Updated Apr 7, 2008

Lekker!

.... and nothing satisfies the late-night A'Dam munchies craving better than Belgian-style Vlames Frites. Why are they so good? Hope their logo isn't the reason.

Favorite Dish: Fries of course.

and you have to have them buried in mayonaise.

• Arjaree's Profile Photo

Fast Food: No. 1 Fries in Amsterdam

by Arjaree Written Apr 10, 2007

Good fries can be found here...with a little bit of queuing. The fries are fresh and crispy and they have quite a few choices of the sauces...but you have to add a bit of money for it. The shop is located right in the Dam area... not far from the Sex museum...Well, follow the smell I guess ;p

Favorite Dish: Fries with mayo.

• Nor_Cal_Brad's Profile Photo

Verse Vlaamse Frites: Try a Cone of Frites (French Fries / Chips)

by Nor_Cal_Brad Updated Nov 5, 2006

From here walk straight ahead, it's ~ 1 min. walk

If you are hungry right when you exit Amsterdam Centraal Station, just a short walk down the Damrak will take you to Verse Vlaamse Frites. This is a popular spot to get fries, though there are many different fries places around Amsterdam. This is a take-out only type restaurant; you just order at the window and then you can stand out front and eat, or eat while you walk. The fries are served in a cone, with a little fork to eat them with and a pool of sauce in the middle. You can choose from many different types of sauce - there are probably 20 different kinds to choose from. I believe it was about € 2 for a small cone.

Favorite Dish: Obviously I had the fries (I think that's all they sell). My personal favorites were the green pepper sauce and the cheddar cheese sauce. I think the green pepper sauce was my favorite. It was like there was jalepeno peppers ground up and mixed with mayo or ranch or something. Whatever it was, it was a bit spicy and very tasty. My second favorite sauce was the cheddar cheese sauce. This was similar to the orange liquid cheese that they serve on nachos at baseball games; also a very good choice. I tried mustard with the first cone of frites I ordered, and it was decent. I tried mayo (frites sauce) when my friend ordered some, and then I discovered the cheddar cheese sauce. I had the cheddar cheese sauce again the next time because I liked it so much. The fourth time I ordered fries I was feeling adventurous, so I tried the green pepper sauce and decided that this was the best sauce yet.

• Phildagr8's Profile Photo

Fast Food: Ya gotta try the French Fries!!

by Phildagr8 Written Aug 10, 2006
    The French Fry place

Ok, you're in Amsterdam and it's time to try the native food. Well, you absolutely have to partake in their french fries! Now if you're the skiddish kind of person that's not open to trying different tastes, it's ok that you not try the customary "french fries with mayonnaise". You can also try ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, and a few others, too! Just note that the condiments are extra $.

Usually they serve the french fries in a paper sack that is shaped like an ice cream cone!

Favorite Dish: If you like mayonaise, and you like french fries, why not try them together?
    I liked it, but it's an acquired taste.
    I prefer mustard & ketchup with my fries.

• goingplaces's Profile Photo

There are so many places to...

by goingplaces Written Aug 25, 2002

There are so many places to eat, it just isn't funny! Pommes frites (French Fries) are a specialty here, and I especially like getting them from the Manekkin Pis stands that are all around. Yep, Belgian-style fries in Amsterdam. Mmm Mmm. Cafes and bars have tables outside during nice weather. You'll notice that all the chairs are facing the street so people sitting there can people-watch.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Manneken Pis: Belgian Fries

by pieter_jan_v Written Jan 24, 2012

Manneken Pis - Fries - Amsterdam

Manneken Pis is a fast food shop specialised in fries.
    You cannot miss it at its prominent Damrak location when you walk from the Central Station to the Dam square.

Favorite Dish: Fries