Pancake Bakery, Amsterdam

4.5 out of 5 stars 18 Reviews

Prinsengracht 191 - 1015 DS Amsterdam +31-20-6251333

• sinjabc's Profile Photo

Pancake Bakery: Completely Satisfying!

by sinjabc Updated Mar 3, 2011

I was eager and excited to try Dutch pancakes and the Pancake Bakery was the perfect choice. I tried a fancy savory pancake: The Brazilian (€ 13.00). The pancake was thin, soft and delicious--topped with mocha ice cream, whip, nuts and caramel sauce. I wish I had gone back to try this restaurant again. The menu was large and there is something for everyone's palate. Go early or be prepared to line-up.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Pancake Bakery: local pancake spot

by dustmon Written Sep 18, 2010

The Pancake Bakery

This was very close to my houseboat I was renting, so I checked it out one night and had a great experience---it was crowded and they were a little rushed but still came through with a good performance----I had a thai chicken pancake with veggies and salad included---also some good homemade rice chips----had some cinnamon ice cream for dessert and some expresso---a very good meal at a local retaurant----very much recommended------

Favorite Dish: thai pancake

• jame1030's Profile Photo

Pancake Bakery: Don't miss this place!

by jame1030 Written Jul 2, 2009

I happen to pass by this place while roaming around the city and trying to find the Anne Frank House. It was closed at the time, but I vowed to return. After a quick morning stop at a coffee shop this place definitely hit the spot. It's a fairly small (but typically long and narrow for Amsterdam) restaurant. I think there is a second floor, but the main area downstairs is nice and cozy. We got there fairly early, and by the time we were eating there was a considerable line outside.

Favorite Dish: They have a great menu. Never had I seen savory pancakes. Their pancakes are light like crepes. I had the pancakes with ham and mushroom. They were freakin awesome!

• jame1030's Profile Photo

Pancake Bakery: Don't miss this place!

by jame1030 Written Jul 2, 2009

• tvor's Profile Photo

Pancake Factory: Pancakes!

by tvor Written May 21, 2009

Dutch pancakes are more like we in North America call crepes. You can get them with many types of fillings or as a dessert with syrup or chocolate, which is how many of the Dutch have them. We were with a Dutch couple one day and they seemed to scoff at anything in a pancake that wasn't sweet. But I digress.

The Pancake Bakery has been featured in guidebooks, which is where i'd heard about it and it wasn't too far from our hotel so that was our choice for our last evening in Amsterdam. It's on the well known canal, Prinsengracht, a very short walk from the Anne Frank house and is in a 17th century canal house on two levels. It's an unassuming restaurant, not flash and fancy like you might think a touristy type restaurant would be. You go down a few steps into a narrow, deep room and there is also an upper level. One wall is brick with framed old photos and prints lining the walls, the other is plaster with a specials board and more prints. The wait staff are quick and efficient and the menu has dozens and dozens of varieties of pancakes, sweet and savoury.

They have traditional type pancakes with fruits, or ham, and always cheese if you want it, and they have international versions with things like chili, curry, and satay. If you want more ingredients that listed on a particular type, you will pay a fee for each so it can add up.

They also do omelettes if you prefer and they have a children's menu for smaller sizes and have a few soups and starters as well but you probably won't have room!

Tram 13, take the Westermarkt stop. Open from noon until 9:30 p.m. they accept major credit cards. Prices vary from 5 ro 13 euro per pancake, more if you add extra toppings. The traditional ones average about 8 euros and the specialty and international ones are 10 to 12 euro so it can be expensive especially if you're adding extra toppings. Children portions are a bit cheaper.

Favorite Dish: We each had a pancake and the one i had, if i remember, had chicken and cheese and it was the size of a pizza. Too much for me to finish but it was quite tasty. Mind you i made the mistake of having onion soup as a starter and that's filling on it's own. Graham had an Indonesian satay one and was quite satisfied with his as well. We shared a dessert called poffertjes which we thought were like profiteroles but are actually mini pancake type rounds with sweet stuff on them. This one had cherries soaked in kirsh with cream ("slagroom") on it which i liked but Graham didn't as he found the liqueur too strong.

• Pancake Bakery: Great savory takes on pancakes!

by AhhZihua Written Jun 12, 2008

The pancakes are large and crepe-like! My husband doesn't usually like pancakes or Greek food so he was going to sit it out while I ate my Greek pancake but he tried one bite and ended up eating half of my pancake both times we visited the restaurant! You can sit inside or out. And the experience was just as good the second time!

Favorite Dish: Liked the Greek Pancake because the lamb was seasoned nicely and there was a good sauce. The feta cheese was mild. and the pancake base lite and fluffy. Lots of veggies, meat and cheese made this perfect for brunch in between the Anne Frank museum (Also great. Don't miss the film and questions at the end of the tour) and a long walk through Jordan and down to Vondel Park.

• jss1018's Profile Photo

The Pancake Bakery: Those famous Dutch pancakes!

by jss1018 Updated Mar 3, 2007

The Pancake Bakery, a famous restaurant in Amsterdam, was one of our favorite eating spots during our visit. We saw a lot of the area trying to find it the first time, before we learned how the canal street building numbering worked. It's at Prinsengracht 191. "Gracht" is Dutch for canal, so any street address with that in the name is a canal street, with a separate street and sidewalk on both sides of the canal. Same as in the U.S., building numbers are odd-numbered on one side and even on the other, but not necessarily corresponding from one side to the other. If not aware of this you can easily walk in the wrong direction. Picture the numbering starting from opposite ends of the street on each side and this will make sense. It's a short walk down the street from the Anne Frank House museum, and convenient to tie that in with a visit there.

As with many other Amsterdam restaurants and buildings in general, the very small size when facing it from the street made it at first seem like a hole-in-the-wall sort of place, but as we became accustomed to, was larger inside than expected due to the depth of the interior. Watch your head on the way out. I got my first of two noggin bumps there!

Some of the friendliest staff we encountered anywhere, and a very nice mix of other people both times we went.

Favorite Dish: We went expecting U.S. style flapjacks as pancakes. Wrong again, but pleasantly surprised once we tried them. More of a French style crepe, but delicious, very large, and with a mouth-watering variety of toppings. Also some very good omelettes.

• Helga67's Profile Photo

by Helga67 Updated Jul 31, 2006

Pancake Bakery

This is a great place for pancakes. There are 70 different pancakes to choose from, pancakes for dessert (sweet) or for lunch (salted). Portions are huge and well filled.

The restaurant is located in the cellar of an old storehouse and it is a cosy place with a lot of old pictures on the walls.

• sormuiyan's Profile Photo

Pancakes/Stroopwafels/Poffertjes/Appeltaart: Pancake Bakery!

by sormuiyan Written Jun 20, 2005

My Sister with her Pancake

Claimed to make the best pancakes in town, this place is close by Anne Frank House, and so consider making a sweet stop here for an afternoon treat after a rather overwhelming and depressing walk through the Anne Frank House. The variety of pancakes offered is great, the pancakes are made rather 'commercial-like' if I can put it that way, but nonetheless tasted delicious to us!

• meeshelmybelle's Profile Photo

The Pancake Bakery: Truly delicious!!!

by meeshelmybelle Written May 31, 2005

This place is really really good. We actually liked it so much we went there twice during our three day trip in Amsterdam. They serve the famous Dutch style pancakes. There are choices between sweet or savory. There are so many options you will probably want to go back just as we did.

Favorite Dish: I had two sweet pancakes, which were amazing. I had the banana and chocolate and then the caramel with ice cream. I couldnt finish them, despite how delicious they were, becuase they are really big. I also tried a savory style with ham and mushrooms which was great as well.

• roamer61's Profile Photo

The Pancake Bakery: Delicious Pancakes

by roamer61 Written May 17, 2005

This restaurant is the best place to sample dutch pancakes. They are totally different than US style pancakes as they are made with a different batter and are much thinner, almost like crepes. They are served with an assortment of toppings. The pancakes are served on large plates as they are 12-14 inches in diameter. They are simply delicious. A variety of syrups are available as well.

Favorite Dish: Pancake with apple and raisins. Divine.

• The ultimate pancake eatery: The pancake Bakery

by MartinSelway Updated Feb 16, 2005

The Pancake Bakery

As we all know, the Dutch are associated with pancakes, and as this place boasts to make 'The best pancakes in town’, we thought we would check them out.

We saw big queues, and at first thought they were for this restaurant, but they were for the Anne Frank Museum. The Pancake Bakery is located in an old warehouse building right on the canal side. You step down into the restaurant, which does make it a little dark (they have a first floor with views over the canal, but were not using that - shame).

The interior is quite small and traditional, wooden seats and marble tables. A central gap runs down the restaurant with tables to the left and right. There is an open plan kitchen where you can see and hear the food being cooked.

The service was not the best. One of the waitresses seemed like she could hardly be bothered and when new people arrived she just gestured at a table to sit at - no welcome at all. This will obviously vary, dependant on who you get on the day.

The place seemed to stay busy for all the lunch period, and was just as busy when we left after 2pm as it had been when we arrived. There seemed to be just one person cooking the pancakes, so don't expect fast food.

Overall, a great place, and if you love pancakes, it's a must.

Favorite Dish: There is a massive selection of pancakes, over 70, so you should find one to suit. There are non-pancake starters such as soup (E 3.5), and garlic bread (E 2.25). Beer is E 2 for a small and E 2.25 for a regular.

I had the tomato, mushroom and onion pancake (E 9.25), and my wife the Masai pancake (E 11). They arrived on a giant sized plate and were certainly an impressive size. They tasted great as well.

On arrival I had decided which pancake I would have for desert, but the size of the first course was too much and so we had to pass. Other desert pancakes that passed us were piled high with cream and looked delicious. If sweet pancakes are your thing, you may be better off just having a starter or going straight to that, as you will have to be very hungry to manage two!

• UkBagLady's Profile Photo

In Amsterdam You Can Eat in Any Language!: Amsterdam Eateries

by UkBagLady Updated Jan 14, 2005

Pannenkoeken Bakerji

It is said that in Amsterdam you can eat in any language and I have found this to be true!
    From Argentina to Zuid Afrika in fact!
    There are restuarants and cafes to suit every palate and pocket from reasonably priced ethnic takeaways to 5* haute cuisuine.
    The Indonesian rijsttafel is a firm favourite with locals and visitors alike ; up to 30 different dishes varying in spiciness and served with rice.
    Fish restaurants are also very popular and in the early summer the new green herring is a particular speciality.
    And of course there is the Dutch pannenkoeken ; huge pancakes with almost every topping you can think of, sweet or savoury! And one of the best pannenkoeken restaurants is the Pancake Bakery on the Prinsengracht.
    And if you want to eat "on the hoof" there is a huge choice in snack foods from the famous frites with mayo to generously filled broodjes!

Favorite Dish: One of my own favourite treats whilst in Amsterdam is poffertjes : a portion of tiny pancakses served with powdered sugar,butter, cream and maple syrup!!

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

Pancakes/Stroopwafels/Poffertjes/Appeltaart: The Pancake Bakery

by Rachael71 Written Aug 12, 2004

The Pancake Bakery

It would be a crime to visit Amsterdam and not have pancakes at least once! The Pancake Bakery on Prinsengracht is one of the oldest and most famous pancake restaurants. It's a large restaurant in the cellar of a building, but was almost full when we visited for lunch. The service isn't particularly quick, but then it was very busy. Lots of couples and families were eating there. Handy for the Anne Frank House.

Favorite Dish: We had an Egyptian pancake, which contained marinated lamb and was just gorgeous, plus a salami and cheese pancake, which was also tasty. The pancakes are VERY filling - I was so full it was almost uncomfortable afterwards, and I had to do a lot of walking before I could even think about eating again!

• karinyeung's Profile Photo

The Pancake Bakery: Great Dutch Experience

by karinyeung Written Feb 12, 2003

They advertise as "The best pancakes in town" and "The most famous Dutch pancake and omlette house in Amsterdam, situated in an historic warehouse on one of the main canals. It was nice. The service was lacking... But the pancakes were delicious. "The Canadian" was the general favorite...though "The Dutch" was really good too!

Favorite Dish: "The Canadian" was just really tasty...savoury and very filling...

"The Dutch" was visually amazing...and it was nice to have vanilla ice cream...

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Pancake Bakery
5.0 out of 5 stars