Pancake Corner, Amsterdam

Kleine-Gartmanplantsoen 51/Leidseplein 11 +31-20-6276303/4272529

Breakfast and football
    by diver-x
  • IceBear7's Profile Photo

Pancake Corner: Difficult choice...

by IceBear7 Written May 7, 2005

I absolutely love the Dutch pancake restaurants!! Whenever I'm in the country I have to visit at least one. This one, the Pancake Corner, is not the best I've ever been to, but it's a cosy place with a good choice of different pancakes, sweet and savoury, some tables outside and very friendly staff.

My pancake was with hot chicken - it wasn't really hot but that is always a matter of interpretation ;-) A place definitely to recommend.

• Pancake Corner: Bad Service

by tinatsai Written May 2, 2009

We have visited this restaurants several times over the year but today was the last....

I took my visitor and children for breakfast. We sat down, reviewed the menu and was ready to order. I knew the menu so it didn't take us very long to decide. I politely put up my hand to let the waiter (only one waiter serving the restaurant) know that we were ready. It was not an obnoxious wave in the air, mind you. I smiled at the chefs in the kitchen since it was a lovely morning and waited for the waiter to look my way.

The waiter came a few minutes later and said "if you are in a hurry, you should leave now". All of us were a bit stunned at what we just heard and then realised there is no excuse for him to speak to us in such a rude manner.

This waiter has always worked there. Grumpy and miserable everytime. We put up with him thinking we all have tough days. We always tipped him appropriately and said thank you but today was really the last straw. It was uncalled for.

What has ever happened to customer service??!! It surprising that the economic downturn has not made this restaurant realised that customers WILL NOT return with such experience!!

Don't go if you want to have your day in Amsterdam ruined by bad customer service.

• diver-x's Profile Photo

The Pancake Corner / Satellite Sports Cafe: Breakfast all day

by diver-x Written Jan 22, 2003

Breakfast and football

We overslept our first morning and missed breakfast at the hotel. I was really looking forward to breakfast, so we opted for the Pancake Corner, right at Leidseplein. There are two floors with tables and bars on both floors. You can get breakfast there all day. The restaurant caters to the Brit crowd, so expect to watch football or cricket on the monitors that are mounted everywhere around the place.

Favorite Dish: The English Breakfast was pretty good: fried eggs, ham, sausages, toast and beans. And of course, like everywhere in Amsterdam, the coffee was excellent.

• The Pancake Corner: Shockingly bad attitude

by AirGuy6niner Updated Aug 18, 2010

I witnessed a scene today at this restaurant that shocked and angered me. I have eaten here several times before and the specialty dutch pancakes are ok, though less flavorful and maybe a bit too oily now... I was waiting for my apple bacon pancake and a British tourist couple were leaving after eating. They had left the payment on the table which included some Euro coins. The waiter (short, moustache, dark hair, 50ish?) rather rudely bade them to wait by saying "hold, hold" and they did and he proceeded to count the coins they left behind, after doing so he yelled that he would not take the coins, that "this is not money!" The couple asked what he meant, that it was indeed money and he yelled that he wouldn't take small coins. They asked how much he needed, he stated 50 Euro cents. All this humiliation because they left 50 cents in coins rather than one 50 cent piece. They were seemingly embarrassed and left quickly, pulling the door a bit hard but closing it after themselves. The waiter proceeds to grab a metal ashtray off a shelf and ran after them outside as though he was going to throw the ashtray at them. These people did nothing wrong! Another couple who had not yet ordered immediately left... My meal came out by the cook, it certainly was less appetizing than I'd anticipated and moreso after that incident. Also hearing the staff yelling to eachother about it afterwards in Arabic was less than atmospheric. I'll never go back...

• Pancake Corner: Pancake Corner TERRIBLE

by KXX Written Feb 14, 2010

Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible service. Plus they cheat you on your bill. Food is tolerable, but that is not enough in this case. Where is the owner I wonder- firing is necessary here. Bad experience just like previous poster.

Favorite Dish: Don't bother.

• Pancake Corner - Leidseplein amsterdam: Dont Eat There As I Have Worked There!

by samamsterdam Written Apr 7, 2011

Absolutely disgusting never seen so many cockroaches and mice in such a small building in Amsterdam, and as for some cretin staff members f***ing RUDE!
    The food is disgraceful i had a wrap with salad and found a snail in the salad, so i took it to the kitchen and they thew it in air and said they just poured the salad straight out of the bag and i said well you should wash the salad first!. Dirty bastards!! HATE THE PLACE and the atmosphere sucks. Pancake Corner more like Cockroach Corner! Cockroaches on your food and Cockroaches be hind the bar serving you.

Favorite Dish: Nothing

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Pancake Corner
4.0 out of 5 stars