Rancho, Amsterdam

by breughel
    Early Season Terrace!
    by johngayton
  • breughel's Profile Photo

RANCHO VI Steakhouse.: Best rib-eye steak.

by breughel Updated Jun 23, 2013

RANCHO VI Steakhouse.

There are several Rancho Argentinean grill restaurants in the streets close to the Leidseplein. These streets are full of restaurants of all kinds mostly not serving Dutch cuisine.
    Here I went to the RANCHO VI in the Korte Leidsedwarstraat 71 - 73 very close to the Leidseplein because in these restaurants I find Rib-eye steak from Argentine. This is for me the most tasteful steak one can find.
    I went there three times, each time to eat a grilled 250 gr Rib-eye steak, cooked rare of course, with puffed potato, sour sauce (papa agria) and salad.
    Why each time the same dish? Because I don't find that type of meat in Belgium.
    Kind service by waitresses coming from all over the world, only one was Dutch. English was the usual language.
    With wine and dessert it did cost me ± 40 €.

• Don't go there!

by dottitti Written Dec 17, 2011

Food just ok, but the service is simply terrible! After 1 hour waiting, we asked about our food and the Argentinian young waiter 'TAKING CARE" of us started shouting in the middle of the rooom "what the ***, there are 25 persons before you. If you don't want to wait, go to burger king', like a crazy person! He kept on provoking us after a nice waiter came to solve the situation, using very offensive words towards us. The worst experience in a restaurant of my entire life!!!!

• Rancho VI: Disgusting experience!

by PinkyB69 Written Dec 4, 2011

I dined at Rancho VI on November 21, 2011. I've had great experiences at steakhouses in Amsterdam and assumed I could get a decent ribeye no problem! The waitress brings my steak which was tough and a baked potato which was great. I watch as a black cat goes to the neighboring table and jumps into the window. The waitress then began to play with the cat, petting the cat and picking the cat up. I'm American and we don't allow animals in restaurants as a rule and certainly wait staff washes their hands. The darn cat jumped onto my table and the waitress did nothing until I protested and complained. I immediately paid and exited the restaurant, never again when I visit Amsterdam will I step foot into such a nasty establishment.

Favorite Dish: Ugh, never would I recommend a thing!

• Casino and Gambling
    • Museum Visits
    • Work Abroad

• Rancho VII: Love the ribs with garlic sauce!

by cbeytes Written Oct 24, 2011

I visit Amsterdam at least once a year and I always make a point of visiting this Leidseplein-area eatery. Now, be warned: there are about 4,000 Argentinian steakhouses in Amsterdam named Rancho, El Rancho, Gaucho or something similar. This is the ONLY one that serves these particular pork ribs with garlic sauce that taste right - and delicious. The garlic sauce is really a green chimichurri, loaded with garlic and parsley. I just call it green sauce, and it's fantastic not only on the ribs, but also on the crispy fries they serve on the side.

Another must-have: their homemade sangria. Fantastic, and we go through several pitchers. Secret ingredient is .... well, i got them to tell me once, and I promised not to share. Trust me: get a pitcher and the ribs and you'll be happy.

The ambiance is typical Leisdeplein: noisy and crowded. But there's a big booth in the back good for up to a dozen people. And it's clean, the staff is friendly and the service is quick. Prices are right, too.

• QuDee's Profile Photo

Rancho VII: Great steaks!

by QuDee Updated Apr 4, 2011

Rancho VII, is an argentinian restaurant, which is part of a group of restaurants – not a chain, so it has the one-of feel.
    They serve meat - don't take your vegetarian friends there, unless they enjoy watching you eat ...

Favorite Dish: I don’t know why more places haven’t thought of this, but they offer several entrèes served as 2 different half-sized cuts of meat on one plate, in stead of just one cut. We had the sirloin and tenderloin-combination, and loved it!
    The entrè comes with 2 side dishes, and gives a choise of various salads, sauces, and potato-dishes. We chose a salad and
    We had a great meal, and the group of young men, at the table next to us, who had the all-you-can-eat-spareribs-dinner, seemed satisfied as well.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Rancho (VI): OK So it's a chain restaurant - but good!!

by johngayton Updated Sep 6, 2007

Early Season Terrace!

So here I was wandering around Leidseplien looking for a late breakfast: seemed I'd missed my hotel's one - well, it was 2 o'clock in the afternoon!!! Anyway, thoughts of breakfast became thoughts of brunch and then metamorphosised into the idea of a full-blown lunch. A couple of cafes, a couple of coffees, lots of cigarettes and then here was Rancho, its terrace parasol-shaded from the afternoon sun and a few other late lunchers (or early diners?).

I'd passed various Argentine restaurants over my years of Amsterdam visits and usually just did exactly that, noted them and continued - I'm not really a steak sort of guy. Every so often tho' I succumb to the temptations of the flesh - and of course it IS so important here to eat well, one has to keep one's energies up for all that sightseeing, museum visits and the art galleries!!!!

Nothing wrong with this place whatsoever, great service, great steak, cold beer and a bill that was about right, yep just what i needed to see me through until my 4 am kebab!!!

Favorite Dish: I went for the Mar y Tierra (surf and turf) which was absolutely spot-on - a decent hunk of fillet steak cooked perfectly "a point" and a trio of decent-sized crevettes in garlic butter. Fries were OK, tho' the accompanying salad was a bit naff (but then I'm fussy about my salads these days ;)) - the main event worked for me :)

• Beer Tasting

• MsCynthia's Profile Photo

Rancho: Great, fast, and cheap restaurant

by MsCynthia Written May 19, 2006

They offer a great tourist menu, for 10 euros you get a salad, cut of beef, and 2 side orders. The food was delicious and it was delivered pretty fast. It specializes mostly in meat, so this may not be the ideal places for vegans

• Erkmen's Profile Photo

El Rancho Argentino: Argentine Restaurant

by Erkmen Written Sep 27, 2003
    Inside the restaurant..

El Rancho Argentino located in the Leidsedwarsstraat of Amsterdam.. Probably the best place to eat meat..

We were looking for a delicious meal and our friend has adviced "El Rancho" and we had just a wonderful meal there that the taste I can never forget..

The atmosphere, the service and Amsterdam.. What more can you ask..

Favorite Dish: We have of course go for the Spare rips.. And it was more than delicious...

Instant Answers: Amsterdam