Restaurant De Rode Leeuw, Amsterdam

4.5 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

Damrak 93/94 - 1012 LP Amsterdam +31-20-5550666

• Kapucijners-marrowfat met alles erop en eraan
    Kapucijners-marrowfat met alles erop en...
    by davequ
    my favorite waiter
    by davequ
    Amsterdam, de Roode Leeuw (interior)
    by egonwegh
  • vtnyc's Profile Photo

Restaurant De Roode Leeuw: Damrak's Dutch Dud

by vtnyc Updated Apr 4, 2011

restaurant dining room, not brasserie dining room

Supposedly this restaurant is one of the leading members of the Neerlands Dis. I could be mistaken, but this doesn't mean the restaurant has won awards for fine gourmet cuisine, it just means the restaurant serves traditional dutch cuisine. The Neerlands Dis divides its restaurants into the Netherlands 12 districts and this restaurant is 1 of 2 in Amsterdam.

Despite all this fanfare, I found the restaurant --not the brasserie--food to be a disappointment. I had the 3 course menu for 29.50 euros. Here you compose your own 3 course meal from cold and hot appetizers, main courses, chef's specialties like meat or fish and desserts.

I had started with the home made farmers pate with gherkin and tomato marmalade. Then went to the "Chef's Specialty" sauteed duck breast with glazed legg, morels, and beetroot sauce. For a dessert I finished with the apple tart.

The pate was good. The duck breast was so tough to chew I couldn't swallow some bites, and how could anyone mess up an apple tart?

The service here however was outstanding and I have to give credit where credit is due. My server was Peter and he did a phenomenal job. Most of the clients were hotel customers or businessmen conducting meetings.

Favorite Dish: I don't have a favorite dish here and if you want really good dutch cuisine, i'd recommend Five Flies above here. Its a 10 minute walk from here and worth it.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Restaurant De Rode Leeuw (Red Lion): Best Food in Town

by johngayton Updated Sep 15, 2013

The Red Lion is the restaurant at the Hotel Amsterdam and is well worth a visit.

Not only is it my favourite restaurant in Amsterdam, it one of my ab favs anywhere.

The main restaurant is a warm, comfortable, wood - panelled room and whilst laid up formally is not at all stuffy. If you do visit look up - hanging from the ceiling are a set of four wonderfully ornate wood carvings of carts and carriages. Even though I haven't quite got the pics perfect you'll get an idea of what I mean.

(But looking on the bright side - what better excuse for another visit - must get better pics!)

In addition to the main restaurant there is also an enclosed terrace restaurant which looks out onto Damrak. Here you can eat from the main menu, or less formally from a bistro-type menu.

I have eaten here 6/7 times now and have not found a single flaw (bearing in mind that I am a professional cook myself).

As to the food, the menu is fairly eclectic but has one page devoted purely to Dutch cuisine - I don't even bother with the other pages. Presentation is modern, but with decent portions, and the food itself is really tasty - things are done properly in this kitchen!

Service is slightly formal, but friendly...........the staff have that uniquely Dutch "go with the flow" attitude which takes the edge off the formality.

The wine list has a good selection, with prices to suit your pocket and the house wines by the glass are also well chosen. With your coffee try the 10 year old jenever........on my first visit the old waiter who was serving me positively beamed when I asked for his recommendation - "This is my favourite!" as he poured from the stone bottle.

The Red Lion is not the cheapest restaurant in town but for the food quality, the service and the ambience it is well worth the money - in fact, on my last (unfortunately very brief) visit I tried to get a room at the hotel itself, purely because of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: All the food i've eaten was delish - so without giving you the whole menu:

If it's the early summer start with the new-season herring with beetroot salad - yin and yang!

The cured fillet of beef (a take on carpaccio) starter with asparagus and poached egg - just cut into the egg and let the yolk run (I'm drooling as I write this!).

Main course - STAMPOTS - sausage and mash! Three different flavours of mashed potato with smoked sausage, meat ball (on first visit) or piece of braised steak (on second visit) and crispy bacon and "the best bit", to quote my original old waiter - the veal jus - spot on!

If its on the menu - cod done three ways with orange butter sauce.

And a new addition: Hare with beetroot jus, absolutely perfect!

I'm not a pudding person but all the desserts that I saw other people eating looked superb.

And of course finish with the old jenever with your coffee.

My last bill for two courses, two glasses of wine, coffee and jenever was just under 40 euros..........bargain!

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• davequ's Profile Photo

de Roode Leeuw: Good DUTCH food

by davequ Updated Apr 27, 2010

de Roode Leeuw is heerlijk.

Restaurant de Roode Leeuw is a good Dutch restaurant, serving the very underated "Dutch" cuisine out of the Hotel Amsterdam (now the Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw) on Damrak, just a couple of blocks from the Dam Square.

Most people I know don't think about Dutch food when they talk European cuisine, but I will from now on. This food is delicious,..... and from a hotel, no less!

The dining room and terrace have been "renovated" but thankfully it retains the same feel and ambience - here are some pictures of the dining room - click on it to make if full-screen.

So what's Dutch cuisine?
    One type is referred to as "Neerlands Dis": traditional Dutch dishes prepared with Dutch dairy, meat and vegetables.

Favorite Dish: Have eaten here three times: had -

Steamed mussels were excellent ( I don't see them on the current MENU - ask for them);
    soups and bisques superb, and the lamsfilet was fabulous.
    Great herring appetizers. Killer pea soup w/ham or sausage (best I've ever had).
    Marrowfat peas Kapucijners “met alles erop en eraan”…(sounds awful, tastes great)
    Again, here's the spartan menu they post online, but I suspect they still serve the dishes I mentioned previously (if not, they are crazy).

For the excellent service cuisine, prices were reasonable (great meal w/wine & drinks/dessert/espresso for approx. 30-40 EU max). A great "splurge" dinner in a great location.
    They also have a BRASSERIE with windowed terrace seating for claustrophobics.

The website (like the hotel & restaurant) has been "updated" so I had to go find some pix here

De Roode Leeuw re-opened its doors after a full renovation on March 14th, 2006

(The nice, witty, older fellow in my pic, who was my waiter is now ill and doesn't work there, and they removed his picture... (shame on you)... get well mijn broer...).
    He was one of the best waiters I have ever had the pleasure to know. If there is a restaurant in heaven (and if I can con / lie my way in) he will be there, proud, warm, professional, and friendly. Meneer, hold a seat for me, A.U.B.

Due to the current drubbing the dollar is taking from the euro I've changed the price-per-person to "$41 and up" while leaving "comparative price" to "about average."

I honestly hope you get a chance to try this place. I'm picky, and I went back, and enjoyed it very much every time. Please also see John Gayton's tip on it in his Amsterdam pages.

Enjoy. x

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo

Restaurant De Roode Leeuw: Top Class just steps from Dam Square

by zadunajska8 Written Jan 15, 2012

We found "De Roode Leeuw" or "the Red Lion" to be something of a suprise when we stepped inside. We hadn't expected quite such a plush and up market interior from the exterior appearance.
    The waiter was very attentive and spoke excellent English. The menu was a little bit on the expensive side but if you have the traditional dutch 3 course set menu on the last page it is actually quite good value at under 30 Euros per person (plus you drinks obviously).
    When the food arrived it was of excellent quality and a good to generous portion size.
    Overall, no complaints - only compliments for this excellent restaurant in a prime location only steps away from Dam Square, de Nieuwe Kerk and the Royal Palace.

• conanabad's Profile Photo

Restaurant De Roode Leeuw: Fine dining at the heart of Amsterdam

by conanabad Updated Apr 4, 2011

Restaurant De Roode Leeuw exists since 1911.
    With its dark panelling, Art deco features and wooden carvings it can be considered as a landmark. The restaurant underwent a full refurbishment in 2006.
    It is a unique meeting point in the heart of the city. Here you can have breakfast, lunch, dinner or simply enjoy a drink and a snack.

Between noon and 6.00 pm the card offers small snack, salads, sandwiches and a choice of warm plates as well as more elaborate dishes.

From noon until 10.00 pm we offer an a-la-carte card featuring both Dutch regional specialties and more international dishes.

Dutch regional specialties.
    Maybe you are not aware that the Dutch kitchen can be a genuine culinary art. Once you have become acquainted with the delightful creations of our Chef you will most certainly be convinced.
    Beside the Dutch dishes we serve a vast choice of other culinary delights.

Opening hours
    Daily from 7.00am to 11.30 pm.
    Meals from noon to 10.00pm.
    Dress code: Smart casual
    Orders for dinner will be taken until 09.45 pm.

Favorite Dish: Fish, meat/steaks, regional dishes
    seasonal dishes, soup, varied vegetarian

Menu:
    vegetarian

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

Restaurant de Roode Leeuw: Red Lion

by egonwegh Updated Mar 31, 2008

Amsterdam, de Roode Leeuw (interior)

Don't know about their food, we just dropped in for some cappuccinos on 30 March 2008. By the way, I don't suppose this qualifies as 'binge eating' , but I must admit that we visited two more restaurants in Amsterdam that day, i.e. David & Goliath and Il Girasole!

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Restaurant De Rode Leeuw
0 miles away