Struisvogel, Amsterdam

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

De Struisvogel: Basement restaurant at the Nine Little Streets

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2013
    Restaurant De Struisvogel - Amsterdam

Restaurant De Struisvogel is a cosy restaurant with 34 seats, located in the basement of a corner house at the Berenstraat (one of the Nine Little Streets) and the Keizersgracht canal.

The menu is French cuisine based with some local specialities.

The restaurant offers a three course meal for a fixed price of € 23,50

Open: Daily from 6PM

• 11mirjam's Profile Photo

De Struisvogel: Small and cosy

by 11mirjam Written Apr 28, 2010

It's a very cosy restaurant. A good ambience and nice service. They only use organic food. Their specialty is ostrichmeat.
    It's a very small restaurant, only 34 seats, so i advice to make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: They have every other month a different 3 course menu for 23 euro.

• vtnyc's Profile Photo

de Struisvogel: Ostrich in Amsterdam

by vtnyc Written Aug 27, 2006

The view from outside

This was a fun place that I would have never discovered had it not been for my local friend who showed me around. To my navigationless mind, it appeared on some corner basement on some corner of a canal somewhere.

However, after descending the steps into the cellar dining room, I was greeted with a blackboard of menu specials to the right, a cozy dining room with aged wood walls, and tables of talking people besides that. This is definitely not modern decor, or three star michelin decor, but it was "homey" and I gladly accepted my table near the entrance.

The menu came which wasn't very lengthy or extensive in choice: starters, main courses, and desserts. The first thing I did was order the beef carpaccio which was not a dissappointment. Then, being the adventurous individual that I am, I heeded the advice of my friend and ordered the Ostrich Steak with Daily Sauce. Apparently, this is the dish that makes this restaurant "famous" and popular with locals--at least according to my friend who has lived in AMS all his life. Both of my friends said is was delicious and to my surprise, it tasted just like beef. Then to top it all off, I had the had the hazlenut with raspberry cream for dessert.

Overall, it was an adventure to eat here. I never had ostrich until I tried it here and I am not disappointed that I did. If you are in the neighborhood, and are hungry, give it a go!

Favorite Dish: The ostrich steak was my favorite dish because I like to be adventurous and try new things.

• Business Travel

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

de Struisvogel: A cozy little restaurant specializing in ostrich

by mikelisaanna Written Oct 22, 2005

De Struisvogel (the Ostrich in English) is a pleasant little restaurant in a basement along the Keizersgracht canal (on the west side). The restaurant was pleasant and informal, and the food was good. The choices were interesting, and included ostrich, the house specialty. It only seats about 35 people, so you may need to make reservations in advance if you want a table, especially on the weekends.

Favorite Dish: The house specialty is ostrich. We had it and it was very good.

• Struisvogel (or the Ostrich): Eating at Eetcafés

by sammie73 Written Oct 11, 2004

You can always count on a good meal at De Struisvogel. The service is attentive, and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. They have a standard price for a 3-course menu at €17,50. For certain items, you may have to pay extra. And yes, true to their name, they do serve ostrich. It's very popular and reservations is highly recommended.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Struisvogel
211 Opinions