Thai Bird, Amsterdam

Zeedijk 72-74 & 77 - 1012 BA Amsterdam +32-20-6201442/4206289

A window seat at Thaise Snackbar Bird
    Thaise Snackbar Bird, Amsterdam
  • Spring rolls at Thaise Snackbar Bird, Amsterdam
    Spring rolls at Thaise Snackbar Bird,...
  • Arjaree's Profile Photo

Indian/Thai/Malaysian/Vietnamese Restaurants: Bird - Original Thai Taste

by Arjaree Written Apr 10, 2007

It's really difficult to find original taste for Thai food in Europe...why? cos usually they will adapt the food to westerners' taste...meaning no spicy. I often get annoyed when people say this and that Thai restaurants were good then I went there and found out that the taste was not original at all.

Anyway, Bird snack bar and restaurant stay true to the origin. The snack bar is quite a small place, during the lunch and dinner you may expect to queue for awhile but trust me it's worth all the wait. They've got quite a variety in the menu with a very reasonable price!

PS. Don't eat anything before going there, the dishes are quite big!

Favorite Dish: fishcakes, pad thai, red curry with beef...etc, etc. *drools*

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Thaise Snackbar Bird: Great Thai food near Nieuwmarkt

by SWFC_Fan Updated May 10, 2008

Thaise Snackbar Bird, Amsterdam

I visited Thaise Snackbar Bird for a quick meal during a short stopover in Amsterdam in November 2007. I was flying between the UK and Cairo and had a 4 hour stopover between flights, so I made the decision to leave the airport and venture into the city centre for some food.

This simple Thai snackbar, located on Zeedijk (between the Central train station and Nieuwmarkt) looked like the ideal place for a quick meal. The street on which it is located houses a number of Asian restaurants. In fact, the owners of this snackbar also own the Thai Bird Restaurant that is located right opposite.

The interior of the snackbar is small with just a couple of tables and a long wooden counter along the window. I pulled up a stool and sat by the large glass window looking out onto the street. I felt a little self-conscious – I was displaying myself and my meal to passers by in much the same way that the prostitutes were doing just along the road in the city’s notorious Red Light District. Although, significantly, I was fully clothed!

The menu included a good choice of soups, starters and Pad Thai noodle dishes. Main courses consisted of the usual selection of stir fries and curries containing chicken, beef, pork, fish and prawns. There were red and green curries, sweet and sour dishes, dishes with oyster sauce, cashew nuts, coconut milk, green peppers and a selection of speciality dishes from north east Thailand. The aromas of various curries and spices were strong in the small dining area as the open kitchen was just a few feet away.

Most of the stir fries and curries were priced between 9 and 11 Euros, with the prawn dishes being a little more expensive at 14 Euros, and all were served with a portion of rice.

The snackbar does not serve alcohol, so I had to content myself with a can of Coca Cola.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

6 Thai Spring Rolls - Cost: 3 Euros

I actually received 7 spring rolls. They were small, tasty, piping hot and served with a very tangy sweet and sour dip.

Chicken in Oyster Sauce - Cost: 9 Euros

The waiter had somehow forgotten that I had ordered a main course, and so I sat waiting for 15-20 minutes after finishing my spring rolls. I eventually signalled to the waiter and he apologised profusely, and promised to bring me an extra large portion by way of recompense.

The portion was large, the chicken was very good quality and was accompanied by cauliflower, onions, green peppers, mushrooms and broccoli in a salty oyster sauce. It was served with a plate of steamed white rice and was very good value for money.

Can of Coca Cola - Cost: 1.50 Euros

As mentioned above, the snackbar does not serve alcohol so you can choose from soft drinks, coffee and tea.

Excellent Thai dishes in a small and simple snackbar!

• Bix10's Profile Photo

Thaise Snackbar BIRD: Cheap & Tasty Thai

by Bix10 Written Oct 24, 2007

The SnackBar

I can say that I frequently visit this little place so called snackbar in Zeedijk almost every other day of the week. It's packed with loads of people almost all the time. One might find it a little cramp in terms of space but the food is fantastic and the price is incredibly cheap.

They have a snackbar which is this one that I'm referring to but they also have a restaurant which serves almost the same dishes but with a proper table settings and space, which is just opposite of this place. It's either you turn left or right.

One thing that must be complimented on them is their consistency in cooking. It's just fantastic.

The snack bar opens from 14:00 - 22:00 and they only accept cash.

Favorite Dish: Try everything in the menu each time you visit. Everything's just fabulous!

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Thaise Snackbar Bird: Excellent Thai food

by nomadig Updated Dec 2, 2009

Thaise Snackbar Bird is relatively compact restaurant for fast Thai snacks and meals on Zeedijk street. The snackbar is operated by a larger and more formal Thai restaurant on the opposite side of the street. They have separate kitchens, and there are differences in menus.

The food we had there were just superb, very authentic and rich in flavour. Spicyness was also on a good level. I loved especially the crunchy spring rolls, but the curries were excellent, too.

The restaurant has like twenty places to sit, and it fills really quickly. Fortunately, people do not stay to hang around after eating.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam