Concerto, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

melodic composition
    by aaaarrgh
  • aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Concerto, Utrechtsestraat: Concerto, maybe the best CD shop ever

by aaaarrgh Updated Jul 4, 2005

melodic composition

This shop was recommended by our young-at-heart Amsterdam landlady. It is half way down Utrechtsestraat, 5 minutes from where we stayed. We had discovered a CD player in our boat and wanted to buy some cheap CD's to play. Eventually we were so impressed with the shop we interrupted our sightseeing to visit it again the following day.

Concerto is actually five (maybe six) thin Amsterdam shops knocked into one. The CD's and records are on three half-floors. Every genre of music is covered. Though with the 'pop' you have to accept the Dutch may have different tastes from you.

What to buy: Massive selection of second-hand CD's in the far left-hand building. The prices are ridiculously cheap, often 3 or 5 euros for an album. And we found many good, classic albums to choose from.

There are also a large selection of vinyl records in the basement.

All types of music are available - rock, pop, indie, dance, jazz, classical, folk etc etc

Closes 6pm in the evening, except for Thursday when it is open till 9pm.

• Music

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Away from the tourist shops.

by oneonta_ni Updated Sep 19, 2002

I enjoyed the area around Utrectstraat and Leliegracht for interesting shops. There were some really nice bakeries, gift shops and food shops.

If you are looking for CD's, Concerto on Utrechtstraat has a huge selection of new and used ones. (Thanks for the tip, PJ!)

What to buy: I couldn't leave Amsterdam without buying two things - drop (licorice) and syrupwaffles. I managed to find a good selection of drop in a chemists but it was surprisingly difficult to find elsewhere.

The syrupwaffles were even more difficult to find. On my first visit to Amsterdam I bought one from a street vendor who made them fresh. They are heavenly - thin waffles sliced in half, spread with a sort of golden syrup and then sandwiched back together. I have never seen these street vendors since. I finally found them in a shop in the airport.

Other things to buy: Droste or other fine chocolates, flower bulbs and shoes seem to be a big thing, too.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam