Eichholtz, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Eichholtz Delicatessen: If You Really Crave Your Homefood Fix!

by johngayton Updated Dec 10, 2013

I must have passed Eichholtz's Delicatessen dozens of times over the years but this was the first time I'd really noticed it. I was having a sample smoke of the new Dutch variation of my Gauloises tobacco from Hartmans, just up the road, before making up my mind whether to buy my couple of kilos. Rather than hanging around the street corner smoking I pretended to be doing a bit of window shopping and that's how I discovered this emporium of all things Anglophone.

The shop mainly stocks popular British and American items such as Campbells soups, M&M's. Pop Tarts, Hershey stuff and etc. but also has some interesting international bits and bobs too. Not really my sort of place but if you've got the munchies are feeling homesick...

• Luxury Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• Eichholtz: Quaint and Traditional with Grumpy Service

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 19, 2008

Traditional shop front

Just off the Leidseplein, along Leisestraat is this little old fashioned grocery shop run by a somewhat beligerent eldery chappy. He's made his fortune... he doesn't have to be nice to tourists!

What to buy: He sells things like chocolate clogs in pretty tins, biscuits - nicely packaged with pictures of windmills and *made in Holland* on them... Dutch cheeses and so on and so forth... It's in one of the biggest tourist areas in Amsterdam, the visitors love this stuff and he must make an absolute fortune from this little gold mine!

What to pay: Expect to pay over the odds (ie more than you would pay elsewhere)

Instant Answers: Amsterdam