Puccini Bomboni, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Puccini Bomboni: Handmade specialties

by pieter_jan_v Updated Apr 21, 2009

Puccini Bomboni

Puccini Bomboni is a famous local chocolate shop. Actually there are two shops; the manufacturing by hand location is at the Staalstraat branch.

At entering the shop you will be overwhelmed by the chocolate aromá and resistance is futile.

The chocolates are characterised by combining various herbs and spices, unusual alcholic drinks, fruits with chocolate.

Staalstraat businesshours:
    Su-Mo: Noon - 6PM
    Tu-Sa: 9AM - 6PM

Singel businesshours:
    Su: Noon - 5PM
    Tu-Sa: 11AM - 6PM

What to buy: CHOCOLATE!

What to pay: Price is per piece per weight.

• Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Puccini Bomboni: Chocolate worth an extended layover...

by 48park Written Sep 27, 2007

We had not consulted Trip Advisor when we booked a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam on our way to Berlin, so we were extraordinarily lucky to have happened upon this shop while wandering around. The presentation of the chocolates is artful. The execution of the chocolates is brave/clever/brilliant - I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked out a thyme chocolate, but was more than pleasantly surprised by the combination. The ingredients are all natural - purportedly sugar and butter free.

What to buy: Had I more time, and more euros, I would have tried more just for pure scientific interest - rhubarb, lemongrass, pepper, anise, plum, gin... I could go on.

What to pay: It's worth whatever they demand, honestly.

• MBDVB's Profile Photo

Puccini's: A man's gotta eat, you know?

by MBDVB Updated Feb 8, 2007

Bite me!

Puccini Chocolates is not to be missed if you enjoy fine chocolates. They are masters at making fine chocolates... I buy some every trip and bring them back. Theres only two locations, so it's indeed a special treat!

What to buy: Go to the website for a preview, but the real fun is actually going there.

What to pay: Does it really matter?

• davequ's Profile Photo

puccini bomboni: My favorite Chocolate in the world

by davequ Updated Aug 24, 2006

Stick 'em up, put all the koffies in this bag

I love chocolate.
    ...... I love Nederlands.
    Now I must be living right, because my absolute favorite chocolate is sold only in Nederlands/Amsterdam:

Puccini Bomboni

I was tempted to put this tip not under shopping but under "General necessity information or Activities."

No day goes by for me in Amsterdam without enjoying at least 2 puccini bonbons.

I like Godivas in Belgium and lots of other chocolates, but to me, there is nothing like Puccini.

They do not seem to be available anywhere else (please let me know if they are), and they don't ship to u.s. or sell on the web.

Not only that, the very nice and extremely helpful lady in the puccinibomboni on the Singel told me even if I ship them myself (very expensive), they wouldn't arrive in the same condition..... they do not support or recommend their product after it has reached the ripe old age of 8 days. (only fresh ingredients in the secret recipes, and few if any preservatives of any kind).

Oh well, guess I just have to move there (another good reason).

Shown here is the interior of the other/main location @ Staalstraat 17, but since I was staying in the Jordaan, I always went to the shop on the Singel.

What to buy: My absolute favorites are the koffie, but many love hazelnut, etc.

They have so many varieties to choose from I'm sure there is something there that will light up just about anyone.

What to pay: My koffie bonbons were 44Euros/kg (about $26/lb at December '04 rates).

On one stop at puccini I bought .090kg (about 7 bonbons)
    and the bill was 3.96Euros ($5.05)

or about $ .75 each,

a steal for the best chocolates in the world.

• markyg's Profile Photo

Puccini bombon shop: Not the usual chocolate

by markyg Written Mar 15, 2006

Chocolate heaven

If you are looking for a different chocolate experience than this is the place. I must admit that I love the chocolate shops in Brugge the best and even in Amsterdam I usually go to the Australian ice cream place to get chocolates (and ice cream), but sometimes I am in the mood for something a bit different or a bit more luxurious, hence I go to Puccini. You can buy prepackage, but fresh chocolates such as chocolate covered orange peels or chocolate covered cookies or you can pick your own from a large selection on the table in the middle of the store. I just tried the paprika chocolate and loved it. The tamarind, the cranberry and the rasberry were also delicious. Don't expect any free sample though. The store also has several books on chocolate and cookbooks.

What to pay: Anywhere from $5 for a small package of chocolate covered cookies to $10 for a small box of chocolates to....

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Puccini: Puccini chocolates

by ATLC Written Feb 25, 2003

AMSTERDAM PUCCINI

In Staalstraat, during our VT walk I saw this shop crammed with people waiting to be served.
    Well, the chocolates are huge and are probably very good or they wouldn't be so popular :-)
    I made a picture through the window.

What to buy: Well, chocolate of course. I saw them made by hand in the next window. It's also a restaurant (see Restaurant tips).

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Puccini *if i remember correctly*: Chocolate!!!!

by nighthawk Updated Sep 4, 2003

Window shopping

A small shop with a counter and on it .... chocolates!! they looked lovely and sure were delicious .... a long queue!

What to buy: Surprise: chocolates!

What to pay: Not so unexpected : a lot!

• Igraine's Profile Photo

Puccini: Its dark, its creamy, its Choclate!

by Igraine Written Feb 23, 2003

yummie

We didnt go inside but the look from outside was simply delicious!!
    Imagine several women drooling in front of this window all moaning about diets.

What to buy: Choclates or bonbon

What to pay: About 4 euro for 100 gram.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam