Souvenirs, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Clogs
    Tulips
    And more gables
  • mazzap's Profile Photo

Souvenir Shops: Clogs!!

by mazzap Updated Jun 4, 2005

If you want some, you won’t have to look far – this colourful display was found suspended from the ceiling in a shop right on Dam Square, but they seemed to be in all Amsterdam souvenir shops.

Painted wooden ones, plain ready to paint wodden ones, and even soft furry ones - I presume to use as slippers!!

Personally, I can’t imagine walking far in the wooden ones in comfort – maybe I should have bought some and tried!

Sizes to suit all!

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Baba souvenier and head shop: Quirky and unique

by kymbanm Written Feb 21, 2005

I collect certain odd things, one of them is Ganeshas ... I was led into this shop by it's logo, yup a Ganesha.

In addition to Hindu inspired nic-nacs, interesting souvenier T-shirts, ashtrays, etc ... they also had nice incense and burners, as well as the requisite items you'd find in a head shop.

What to buy: I bought a fun baseball cap w/ their logo (that I wear almost everyday), T shirts, ashtrays ... all sorts of little things for myself, as well as for others.

What to pay: I felt the items were better than those across from Damrak canal in the tourist trap strip of shops ... I paid about 5E for my cap, and I honestly can't remember about the other prices, but they were good in my opinion :)

Coffeeshop sign
    • Business Travel
    • School Holidays

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Souvenir Shops: Kewl Dutch Souvenirs

by Krystynn Written Jan 19, 2004

Souvenir Shops

What to buy: Kewl Dutch Clogs.... Windmills... Postcards, Magnets... Dutch Costumes (Dress)... Dolls dressed in Dutch Costumes.... Dutch Miniature Houses (my latest passion)... Buy them all! ;-)

What to pay: It's cheaper to buy them outside of Amsterdam - in the villages. Expect to pay more if you were to buy them in the city center.

Too engrossed shopping for souvenirs!

• davequ's Profile Photo

Ellie Saiyd's BEAD ART: A wonderful shop, with a lovely & kind proprietor

by davequ Updated Dec 2, 2005

I will classify this under antiques / souvenirs as there was no category listed as "world treasures."

Bead Art on Reestraat has beautiful treasures and gifts from around the world, especially Asia and Far East/Orient.

This is not junk or tourist "gifts," these are truly class treasures hand picked by the owner in the countries she visits.

Most of all, the most enchanting Mevrouw Ellie Sayid is not only kind, warm, welcoming and helpful, but also one of the more knowledgeable and interesting people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and speak with.

If you shop seriously here and manage to make her acquaintance, if she has time, ask her to show you the painting and photograph of herself taken dressed as (my impression) a glamorous, early film star (e.g. Theda Bara).
    She was so lovely in the picture, and she is still so attractive and charming today.

My thanks and sincere respect to her husband who had the class not to thrash me for muttering and stammering as I drooled over his lovely wife: asking question after stupid question just to remain as long as possible in her presence:
    Dank u well Meneer.

Just for fun, hear is a Theda Bara quote:

""the reason good women like me
    and flock to my pictures
    is that there is a little bit of vampire instinct in every woman "

What to buy: What your heart desires, what catches your eye, and of course, what suits your budget.

Again, this is not cheap junk. You get what you pay for.

Truly beautiful pieces of art, sculpture, glass, antiques, of legitimate wares from Asia, the Orient, and ???

There is something here for everyone.

The link below is a picture of the shop and some of the objects in the window from my "Reestraat Stroll" Travelogue. Scroll down to the picture that says "Reestraat 12 shop"
    Bead Art Front Window

What to pay: What the market will bear. Ms. Saiyd will negotiate a fair price if you are not rude or pushy.

I vant to be left alone.... Bead Art at Reestraat 12

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Souvenir Shops: Buy some gifts back home!

by mindcrime Written Jul 17, 2007

Around Dam Square there are countless souvenir shops all with the same prices (3 magnets 5euro, 1 tshirt 14euro, cups and other touristic stuff made in china). But come on, why to buy something so typical that is the same everywhere in the world??

In case you want something better buy some great local cheese (yes, you can have it out of the bridge for some days if you don't open it and anyway do it one day before you leave).
    In Jordaan area there are some tiny stores with strange things.
    At Singel canal there is a flower market where u can buy seeds (bring toulips to ur garden!).
    There are many flee markets, the most famous is Waterlooplein with second hand stuff, tshirts etc
    I found some great music boxes in the museum of Musical Instuments at Utrecht (30' by train from A'dam)

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Souvenir Shops: Central area shopping

by Dabs Updated Jul 14, 2008

We didn't do a whole lot of shopping but couldn't resist stopping when we saw some goofy hats for my niece and nephew, David is modeling the lovely hat with the orange braids, my nephew got one with a giant beer mug on top, 3.95E each at Helemaal van Haren, Nieuwendijk 213-215.

We also couldn't resist picking up some cookies for the plane ride home at Hema, Nieuwendijk 174-176. The Roomboter stroopwafels looked light and airy but when we picked them up they weighed a ton thanks to the sugary, caramel middle. Those cookies were awesome as were the koggetjes, a thin buttery sugary cookie. I was too busy eating them to take a picture but if you find yourself in Amsterdam and have a sweet tooth, I'd highly recommend trying both of these!

David modeling the latest in headgear

• duttyolga's Profile Photo

Bazar: Souvenir Shop 'Bazar'

by duttyolga Updated Dec 4, 2006

In Amsterdam there is a souvenir shop called 'Bazar' on Damrak 24 & 60 and on Nieuwendijk 128 (and 'Bon Dia' as well on Kalverstraat). They have Holland t-shirts & sweaters (with all kinds of sayings on them), hats, caps, bracelets, underwear made out of candy, sex things, jewelry, bongs, weed lollipops, really cool lighters, ashtrays and so on.
    A really cool store that u should check out!

What to pay: It depends, but not expensive

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• chennaismartguy's Profile Photo

Souvenir Shops: Souvenir shops @ the flower market

by chennaismartguy Written Apr 16, 2008

During my short stay at Amsterdam, found out that some of the shops near the flower market are cheaper than the souvenir shops at Damrak & Dam Square, since these are the most frequently visited by the tourist. May be you check first & compare and then buy.

What to buy: Souvnier things!!!

Souvnier shops, Amsterdam

• Bushman23's Profile Photo

Souvenir Shops: Standard issue souvenirs - Amsterdam style!

by Bushman23 Written Oct 6, 2007

Well, this tip is specific to all the souvenir shops in the Dam Square area and leading along to the red light district... there are dozens of them, all with kinda the same offering, at about the same prices... its still fun to wander along the street, cause you never know what you might find!

What to buy: Some of the shops have a nice selection of T-Shirts, and most of them sell the standard tourist souvenir - Ashtrays (with Marijuana stamps - bought one of them for my future mother and father in law :-p), mugs, lighters, postcards, etc... the smaller ones have a nice selection of pipes too.

What to pay: Anything from 1 euro to 25 euros

• ATLC's Profile Photo

On the markets: Bargain souvenirs

by ATLC Written Feb 25, 2003

Souvenirs are always very overpriced in my experience. I need them often as gifts when I go abroad. So instead of going to the souvenir shops or Tourist Information, I prefer to go to the Bloemenmarkt (daily flowermarket between Koningsplein and Muntplein) and buy little Delft Blue articles there.
    I also saw good bargains on Waterlooplein.

DUTCH SOUVENIRS

• excitableone's Profile Photo

lot's of little trinkets!

by excitableone Written Dec 3, 2002

there are about 3 million tourist shops in amsterdam, well maybe not 3 million but it sure seems like it.. even though these shops sell crap it's still crap from amsterdam that at that moment you feel you need more than anything.

What to buy: we bought a lighter from almost every shop we went to that had them, we bought 3 van gogh matted prints, a van gogh ceramic painting, the sunflower painting on a magnet, quite a few postcards, and numerous other trinkets! but really it is cool to have a piece of amsterdam no matter how lame it is back home!

What to pay: actually we spent half the money we excpected to spend, we were shocked at how cheap some things were. for a matted 16X20 van gogh print was 11 euro, not bad..the ceramic painting was 20 euro.

some of the stuff we bought!

• BlueBerry_7's Profile Photo

My Souviners

by BlueBerry_7 Updated Nov 17, 2002

A lot of things came from the Hard Rock Cafe and the Bulldog Coffeeshop because they have a lot of nice stuff! But there are many inexpensive places to buy souviners.

What to buy: Bring back a little 'something' for everyone on my souviner list. T-shirts, shot glasses, pipes, beanie babies, keychains, magents, and do not forget clogs!!

What to pay: Depends on who the souviner is for:))

Souviners

• BlueBerry_7's Profile Photo

Coasters!: Free Souviners

by BlueBerry_7 Updated Nov 17, 2002

Get signature souviner coasters from coffeeshops, bars, and restuarants, ect. These are from the Rokerij which has a map on the backside and the Bulldog coffeeshop which are reversable coasters!

What to pay: And best of all they are FREE!

Coasters

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

Souvenir Shops: SOUVENIR SHOPS

by LoriPori Updated Jun 22, 2011

Amsterdam has lots to offer in their SOUVENIR SHOPS. You will find everything from wooden shoes (klompen), cheeses, windmills, Delft Blue ceramic items, souvenir t-shirts, towels and table cloths. Over the years, I have a nice little collection of real and fake Delft Blue items which I display in my China cabinet. Also have tons of souvenir Dutch spoons.

Dutch One Biiiiig wooden shoe Souvenir Shop Cheese Shop

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

The Smallest Gallery in Amsterdam: Unique souvenirs

by Rachael71 Updated Aug 12, 2004

This great little gallery is located right behind the Westerkerk, facing the Anne Frank Museum. Sonja sells some wonderful, quirky paintings of Amsterdam that were quite different to anything we saw anywhere else.

What to buy: Prints and paintings, souvenir t-shirts

What to pay: Framed prints start around 6 euros. Expect to pay 20 - 40 euros for an original.

The Smallest Gallery in Amsterdam