Albert Cuyp - Street Markets, Amsterdam

Crowded Cuypstraat
  • petdec's Profile Photo

To Stone or not to Stone

by petdec Written Jul 5, 2005

Amsterdam is a wonderful town. You can do almost anything you fancy and no-one will deny. There are wonderful museums, with some of the worlds finest paintings and sculpture, the beautiful canals, the incredibly beautiful architecture,the lovely old churches, the palaces, one gould go on and on.
    I particularly loved the little bars with wonderful beer, served with two fingers of head on the top(not done in The Land of Oz)
    Then you go and choose your favourite blend of smoko.Coming from an anglo-culture , where there is much breast beating on this subject, I found the liberal attitude very refreshing. Friends who live there, tell me that the legality has lessened the crime rate..I'm not sure as I have never lived there.There are signs everywhere ,telling tourists to beware of pickpockets.
    I also love the street markets where you can buy plants if you wish and ofcourse the absolutly beautiful Tulips.Afew days walking around the streets of Amsterdam is an absolue joy,but make sure you have comfortable shoes as cobblestones can be hard on the feet.

How do I get a good flower
    • Gay and Lesbian

• Gypsy_Saskia's Profile Photo

A world on its own

by Gypsy_Saskia Written Sep 7, 2002

Albert Cuyp market is a huge market in the Pijp where you can buy groceries, clothes, flowers, household stuff, CD's and much more.

It is surrounded by African, Eastern and other little restaurants where you eat very well without paying much.

Albert Cuyp Market

• Livermore's Profile Photo

Wow, where to begin. This...

by Livermore Written Aug 25, 2002

Wow, where to begin. This city has everything. I guess I'll list some of my favorites. Vondel Park (I actually saw a busker playing a rea rollable piano in the park) its is just a nice place to hang out on a summer day. The weekend markets like the one at Albert Cuypmarkt, though most neighborhoods I cam across had some sort of market.

• Xowe's Profile Photo

MARKETWho loves to rummage...

by Xowe Written Aug 24, 2002

MARKET

Who loves to rummage around through a market is in Amsterdam at the right place. Offcourse you must visit the typical “Albert Cuypmarkt”, where you will find almost everything for free, clothes, toys, antique but also books, records and lots of food.
    But also the flea market at the “Waterlooplein” is worth it …

• vickss's Profile Photo

Do some street shopping

by vickss Written Oct 2, 2009

Albert Cyup market is kinda to the south of the central area of Amsterdam. Its closed on Sundays so plan accordingly. Its a long street and a bit congested for walking through but you get decent bargains(not so much for me as in India you can get similar stuff at same or lower price in trendy departmental stores)..plus some good street food like fresh waffles. I particularlyy liked some Vietnamese roll being soldd for some 1 euro or something which was yummy. I also spotted Peter Jan's store .. I am not sure if it belongs to our VT member but I guess I did... :)

On a Saturday evening

• Exploring amsterdam

by rbulgin Written May 22, 2010

Last time we went to Amsterdam we downloaded an iPhone app called AmsterdamFUN which helped us easily find all the best museums, cafes, bike tours, snack bar, etc. It helped us discover fun places we would never have found - such as amazing markets, canal bike rentals, and more!

• klj&a's Profile Photo

Albert Cuyp Market

by klj&a Written Jun 27, 2010

As metioned I'm a sucker for town squares. I'm also a sucker for local markets. Although we didn't buy anything, we had a great time looking around and having small bites to eat from the food stalls. It's not in the main part of town, but definitely within walking distance.

• EnzimaT's Profile Photo

As casas de canal (Esta é de... 1616)

by EnzimaT Updated Sep 26, 2005

Nas margens do magnifico anel de canais, construído à volta da cidade, encontramos casas nos mais variados estilos arquitectónicos.
    A arquitectura de Amesterdão é revelada nos edifícios com empenas decorativas e cornijas e na ornamentação das portas e janelas.
    As casas de canal eram inclinadas para evitar que as mercadorias armazenadas nos sótãos tombassem para o lado das janelas. Uma lei de 1565 determinou a inclinação de 1/25 para limitar o risco de as casas ruírem. Portanto, não deixe de reparar no facto dos prédios serem um pouco inclinados para frente e possuírem uma espécie de gancho no topo, utilizado, ainda hoje, para içar móveis para os andares superiores, uma vez que os edifícios para além de serem estreitos têm escadas íngremes.

Uma casa de 1616

• Shop where the locals shop

by clemens300 Written Jun 9, 2005

This was about a 15 min walk from my hotel so I'd go for fresh fruit. If you're staying in an apartment and doing your own cooking, it also has meat and fish stands as well. Word of caution about the fish stand --when I walked by it, the smell was stronger than a fresh fish stand should smell like, so buy at your own risk. The fruit, however, was phenomenal. There was also a lot a junk, but it was still fun to browse.

• Umfufu's Profile Photo

Long one street market with lots of things

by Umfufu Written Jul 23, 2003

The street where vendors now sell their wares used to be a canal. It was called the Zaagmolensloot ? the Lumber Mill Canal. The Albert Cuyp market was already popular around 1930. You really haven?t seen Amsterdam, if you haven?t been to this market. The vendors are known for their typical Amsterdam humor.

Albert Cuyp

• crazygal59's Profile Photo

Something for everyone.

by crazygal59 Written Nov 16, 2003

Here is a market that is a real live shopping market for the Amsterdamer. Everything from food,clothes and household items.

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE.

• barbipez's Profile Photo

LONG street of open markets

by barbipez Written Jul 7, 2004

easygoing, causal, lots to see and buy. and cheaper than down in the center. AND you can buy large syrupy waffles hot off the griddle. yummy!

selling tights, socks, etc...
    • Women's Travel

• RaquelMac's Profile Photo

Colourful Markets

by RaquelMac Written Nov 21, 2004

There are wonderfully colourful markets, selling everything, mainly flowers and bulbs. Definetely worth the walk.

Flower stand