Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam

by grandmaR
  • LoriPori's Profile Photo

CANAL BOAT TOURS

by LoriPori Updated Jun 22, 2011

Canal Cruises in Amsterdam are the most popular tourist attraction in the country, with over 3 million passengers a year. A fleet of about 200 specialized vessels offer a variety of services and entertainment - Lunch Cruises - Dinner Cruises - Music Cruise - Theatre Cruise.
    An enjoyable and relaxed way of getting around the canals and seeing Amsterdam's top sights like Van Gogh Museum Rijksmuseum and Ann Frank Hous, is to take a CANAL BOAT TOUR.
    CANAL-BUS offers 4 routes, with 20 stops. The 24-hour ticket allows to Hop on and off as often as you wish, as does the HOP ON - HOP OFF Canal Cruise.
    Almost 20% of all Canal Cruise Boats are now electrically powered. Clean and silent - No engine noise - No gas fumes.

• dila's Profile Photo

Groups from 20 people
    € 20,50 per person

Reservations via our Parent company
    See www.rederijkooij.nl

I used this company a few times when i have discount cards from my work

• csordila's Profile Photo

No visit complete without a canal tour

by csordila Updated Apr 4, 2011

Canal boat

This might be the only city in the world that is better seen from the water. Because of this fact no visit is complete without a canal tour. This is the only tourist attraction that is popular with both locals and tourists, old and young folks alike.
    From Winston Crurchill to the Beatles and Nelson Mandela, almost all famous guests have made their acquaintance with the city from the deck of a canal cruise boat.

The advance booking is not necessary, indeed, if you have an I Amsterdam Card you get a free canal tour in front of Central Station, at Rederij Noord-Zuid (the blue boat company.) Their boats leave at every 30 minute, and with its duration of 75 minutes, this is the longest cruise. A computerized audio system acts as the guide, using four languages (English is of course one).
    If a window seat is important to you, do not board a boat in which none are available. On most rides tips are solicited, but do not feel obligated to contribute.
    The tour takes in Central Station, the Golden Bend of the Herengracht, the Harlemmersluis floodgates which are used nightly to flush the canals, many picturesque bridges, including the Bridge of 15 bridges at the crossing of the Reguliersgracht with the Herengracht, the famous Skinny Bridge over the Amstel, and the harbor. The boat trips are at their best when the sun is shining, there are a few seats outside in the back of the boat, where also smoking is allowed.
    Do not forget to get a guide book in order to check immediately all what you have seen.

Without the card the 75 minutes tour costs 9.50€ for adults, 5.50€ for children (5 to 12 yrs) and 65+. Children under 4 are free.

Departures
    Summer season (April-September):
    Every half hour, daily from 10.00am - 6.00pm, and at 7.00pm
    Winter season (October- March):
    Every hour, daily from 10.00am - 5.00pm

• cchiuching's Profile Photo

Canal cruise

by cchiuching Updated Apr 4, 2011

the boat u will take for the trip.

take a boat, join a boat trip, wander around the canals, watching the old houses along the canals, the guy on the boat will tell u the backgrounds of the houses.
    day trip and night trip certainly gives two different images.
    day trip 1 hour: Euro 9
    candle night cruise 2 hours: about Euro 30
    (cheese and wine provided)

• Jschukal's Profile Photo

Canal Cruise

by Jschukal Updated Apr 4, 2011

Here's the canal boat, make sure you don't eat any space cake first and jump in the river. Remember people, this is the morning here, no one looks good in the morning in Amsterdam!

I updated this page in July, 2005 to give some info on one of the operators.

The Day Pass gives you unlimited use of Canal Bus boats until midday the next day. You can hop on and hop off as often as you like! The Red, Green and Blue Line stop close to the following sites:

A - Rijksmuseum (Green/Red)
    B - Leidseplein (Green/Red)
    C - Westerkerk / Keizersgracht (Red)
    D - Anne Frank House / Prinsengracht (Green)
    E - Central Station-East (All lines)
    F - City Hall (Red/Blue)
    G - NEMO Museum (Blue)
    H - Maritime Museum / Scheepvaartmuseum (Blue)
    J - Artis Zoo (Blue)
    K - Tropenmuseum (Blue)
    L - Rembrandt House (Green)
    M - Gassan Diamonds
    N - Rembrandt-plein (Green)
    W - Central Station-West (Green/Red)

Check out the site below and play around with it until you find the information you need.

• lina112's Profile Photo

Blue Boat Company

by lina112 Written Mar 12, 2011

I highly recommend to take a boat canal tour. With the I amsterdam pass you can choose between Blue Boat Company or Holland International. We took the tour with Blue Boat Company and we enjoyed the trip, they told the history of Amsterdam and informed about the monuments and buildings watched from the boat. The trip takes 1 hour and 15 minuntes and they have 1 tour every hour.

Sin duda recomiendo hacer un tour en barco por los canales. Con la i amsterdam pass puedes elegir entre las compañias Holland Internationa o Blue Boat. Hicimos el tour con Blue Boat y fue una pasada, te explican cosas sobre la historia de Amsterdam y de los monumentos que ves desde el barco. El viaje dura 1 hora y 15 minuto y salen cada 15 minutos

• Photography

• Rent your own Boat

by JanPieter Updated Feb 13, 2011
    Rent your own boat in Amsterdam

If you want to go your own way at your own pace, it's best to rent your own boat. There's a few companies renting out boats. They are all electric and fit a maximum of six persons. You drive yourself, which is pretty easy even withour a licence. Most of the companies offer free maps. At some companies you can rent a boat by the hour, but is recommended to take some more time. In about three or four hours you can get a pretty good impression of the city with all of it's highlights along the canals. The best value for money is Boaty, see www.amsterdamrentaboat.com. Their rate starts at euro 79,- for three hours.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Water Sports

• dustmon's Profile Photo

St Nicholaas Boat Club tours

by dustmon Written Jan 4, 2011

cruisin

I think this is the best way to experience the canals in Amsterdam---privately owned boats steered by innovative entrepeneurs and they give a great tour----you can bring wine, jenever, smoke, whatever with you and have a blast cruising the canals in an open boat with a good guide.
    Because the cruise is in an open boat, appropriate clothing is a must and these boats are smaller than the normal cruise boats and can get under the lowest bridges to out of the way canals....The captain usually passes a jar for his fee---pay him well when you have a good time!
    You need to go into the Boom Chicago Comedy Theatre on the Leidseplein to sign up for these trips and the loading point is not far from that point usually. Just walk in and ask where you sign up for the St Nicholaas cruise, there is a binder on the bar .....

• Amsterdamtour boat trip

by marco99 Written Nov 10, 2010

Last week I visited Amsterdam with 3 friends. Although Amsterdam is a mad place, it also has a lot of cultural things to offer. Me and my friends went o a boat trip with Amsterdamtour. This was called some sort of Diner Cruise.

This cruise or trip was fantastic. We were able to see the Amsterdam canals in the dark which was very beautiful. All houses lit up and this gave a very fairytail feeling.

The food and drinks were included in the price so we could eat and drink as much as possible.

We also had an extra tourist guide on the boat who explained everything about Amsterdam on the boat.

• Water Sports

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Lovers.nl canalboats, tours

by dustmon Written Sep 19, 2010

loverboats

It seemed, while watching canal boats go by my rented houseboat, that the Lovers.nl boats did have a more hipper crowd than the other branded canal boats--they were mostly one persuasion----all Japanese, all Germans, all Americans, but the Lovers boats seemed to be more young folk and having a better time than the others.....
    They have lots of options as far as tours and so forth---definitely check out their website before visiting A'Dam for more info-----

• Birsen's Profile Photo

100 Highligts Cruise

by Birsen Updated Jul 10, 2010

A boat House

The Canal boat tour will show you the city from a different perspective. Also during the trip an audio guide will tell you very interesting stories about the city and its artichecture. It's about 1 hour tour, very relaxing. We did it around 6:00 -7:00pm. I recorded the whole tour to my videocam and my firend took am a lots of pics. I would like to do it again in the future...

It was free with I amsterdam Card, if you pay it's 12€
    The company called Holland International

• Architecture

• June.b's Profile Photo

Canal Boat Cruises

by June.b Written Jun 18, 2010

There are several companies operating a canal boat trips and cruises along the web-like canals of Amsterdam. At least try once, it's of the city's transport option too.

Costs vary from each operators, like the Amsterdam Canal cruises that charges EUR13 for a 1 hour and 15 min. tour. There are smaller boats too for intimate cruising. And there are also packages or combination offer like canal cruise + museum entries, or land transport and canal cruises or combination of all.

There is also hop-on hop-off canal boat which is more advantageous if you have limited time in the city and wants to cover a lot of places in a day.

Or if you buy the I amsterdam Card, you'll get a lot of free stuff and discounts at museums.

• Adventure Travel
    • Sailing and Boating

• Avoid canal tours with Rederij Plas!

by dbown2 Written May 31, 2010

I am not here to unduly discredit this company, but as a traveler I feel it is my civic duty to recount the astonishing events which recently transpired in its services. As a wildlife biologist from Canada I was recently in Amsterdam at the tail end of a European tour. Along with me were my two travelling partners and their 14-year-old son. It was the evening of Wednesday, May 19, 2010, and we were discussing the possibility of a canal boat tour. We all agreed it would be fun but that unless the vessel was open-air we might prefer to walk given the exceptionally good weather. We thus approached employees of Rederij Plas at about 7:45pm and inquired as to whether we would be able to sit outside during their canal boat tour. They said we could sit on the roof of the boat but that we would have to duck when crossing under bridges. It sounded like fun so we embarked; however once underway we learned from the captain that sitting up top was prohibited. We were naturally a little disappointed but we made the most of the voyage, which incidentally was advertised as 1-hour but ended at around 45 minutes. Upon our return at 8:40pm I asked an employee why he had said we could sit outside when he clearly must have known this was not true. He just shrugged his shoulders and gave me a strange look of contempt. I then asked if he thought it was a good policy to misguide his clients. He looked at me mockingly, said I was crazy for thinking I could sit outside on the boat, and that I could make a complaint if I wanted but it wouldn’t amount to anything. Unsure if I liked how I was being treated, I approached the office window hoping for reassurement that it was all just a simple misunderstanding. Something was spoken in Dutch by the tall, dark-haired employee I had been talking to, and a large surly man who I took to be the manager came to the window. Before I could say a single word he began to tell me what any normal person should think or know in a very condescending and disrespectful manner. I told him I knew nothing of canal boating, that I was merely a passing tourist who had presumed that he and his employees were experts and would provide me with the correct information. He told me I was crazy, that I must be high, and that I could write to the address on the pamphlet if I wanted but it wouldn’t change anything. He began seething in disgust and saying how little time he had for the likes of me. I was shocked and amazed and a little outraged by this turn of events but I remained calm and attempted once more to reason with him. He began shaking his fist at my face so I stopped and very clearly asked him if he was threatening me. He told me to get the hell off his dock and, insulted, I tossed the pamphlet back at him as he slammed the window down. He then went into a rage and came storming out the office door toward me. I was dumbfounded! When I turned to evaluate the situation I was checked by the tall, dark-haired fellow I had spoken with before, now accompanied by his lighter-haired partner, both tall, young, in sailor-style uniform, and clearly employees of the company. They stood looming over me grinning as though ready to pounce. When the manager reached me he was in an agitated rage, his fists gesticulating at my head. With little other choice I stood my ground and calmly asked him if he was sincerely about to hit me. Still yelling, he then grabbed my arm and started forcing me back toward the sidewalk. I told him to take his hands off me but he did not comply. I managed to wreathe free at this point and take a jumping step back, which he followed with a kick to my upper leg and a hooking punch that missed my head by about 2 inches. At this point there seemed to exist some invisible threshold between the sidewalk and the dock that the employees would not readily pass, as though somehow it was okay to beat up their clients within the confines of their proper business but not outside. Several clients waiting for the next tour stood by watching, and the dark-haired young man I initially spoke with began telling them how crazy I was for thinking I could sit on the boat, as though it somehow justified all this brouhaha. Ironically, they seemed to find it all quite amusing. I was told by the remaining young blond employee to “go back to whatever country I came from”. Bewildered and practically unsure if I was still on the same planet, I asked this man if in fact he and his counterparts were Dutch, a people I was led to believe were quite polite and reasonable and who loved Canadians. At this prompt he sneered in disgust and made a jumping snap kick about 3 inches from my head. He taunted me with a slur implying I was homosexual and he told me to “go smoke another joint”. There was nothing I could do but shake my head in amazement and wonder what the world had come to.

It would be an understatement to say that my European holiday was tainted by the true events I have described. It is an absolute mystery to me how an established business operating in an international tourist destination such as Amsterdam can condone such reckless and lawless behaviour. I have since filed an official complaint with the tourism agency of Amsterdam, but it is not a governing body and can only investigate and attempt to reconcile. I have submitted my complaint to the company directly via e-mail, but since it appears to be locally operated from the docks at Damrak I am inclined to believe that such efforts are futile.

Understandably, based on personal experience I would not recommend Rederij Plas to anyone under any circumstances whatsoever.

• Gay and Lesbian

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Canal cruising

by darkjedi Updated Aug 27, 2009

100m outside Centraal Station to your right and straight on the canal cruisers ply their trade. I had a different cruise each day I was there, each with a different comany, there are about six. Make sure you have a map with you and mark the things you might like to see on the way, its surprising how many people don't do this. There is little interaction by the driver who just steers and operates a multi-language tape every few minutes. The exeption to this was the Holland International cruise, the driver told funny stories about many things we passed and made the journey ten times better. Of course this could have been because of the French TV crew on board. (I have since returned to Amsterdam and done a Holland International cruise and what a surprise - no interaction at all just a standard taped voice). But if you like boat trips the scenery itself is its own reward. Each company has a slightly different route and they all last the best part of an hour. Great fun, even when its raining and an essential part of any Amsterdam trip no matter how short, but make sure you have a window seat go try and get on first.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

CANAL BOAT TOUR

by balhannah Written Jul 5, 2009

Sights on the canal boat tour

The Canal Boat Tour.......The tour that nearly everybody does! I wasn't going to do it, but was told it was a "must" by Dutch people I know. I really don't think it is a must. I didn't think much of it, as most of the sights, I had already seen through doing a lot of walking. Also, taking photos through the rounded glass has not had very good results. I feel, if you have seen a lot, Don't do the tour, If you have arrived and haven't done anything yet, then go for it, and get a feel for the city.
    It was Ok, but I would have rather saved my money.
    I went with the tour company by Central Station.
    COST in 2009 was 7.5 euros.

Leave it up to you to decide!

Instant Answers: Amsterdam