Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt, Amsterdam

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

Bloemenmarkt

by leanne_pearc Written Apr 2, 2008

A stall in the Flower Market

The flower market is definitely something to have a look at when in Amsterdam. Just to see so many flowers in the one spot.

I went there at about 8am when the stores were all opening up for the day however many were already open to browse through. I found browsing through the stores very fascinating and wish i could of bought some bulbs home. (Australia is very strict on bringing plants back).

The stores had lots of souvenirs and cheap too. If you have to buy souvenirs for back home, i would buy at the flower market.

• akikonomu's Profile Photo

Flowers Galore

by akikonomu Written Mar 15, 2008

The flower market may not be anything special to locals or people living in temperate countries. Not for me who's lived in the tropics all my life. We don't get to see many temperate blooms whilst the flower market introduced me to the wide variety of spring flowers such as tulips, hyacinths, lilies etc. Nature works in strange ways - the bulbs all look more or less the same, but the blooms differ in species and colours.

A pity Singapore has restrictions on plant imports or I'd have bought a bulb or two to try out how green my fingers are. Still, I could settle for the pretty ceramic pots, garden accessories and decorations. And of course, flower pots in the shape of clogs!

• Bix10's Profile Photo

A Visit To The Flower Market

by Bix10 Written Mar 3, 2008

This is also one of the priorities of places to visit in Amsterdam. You can buy flowers here or you can just view the whole row of shops selling flowers. It's a beautiful place. The picture that I have is the clock tower, which indicates the other end of the flower market. In Dutch, they call it Bloemanmarkt.

While at the flower market, there's a nice Indonesian restaurant called Sempurna. The food there is really good.

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Flower Market

by Rupanworld Written Jan 31, 2008

One of the best experiences in life while touring at a place was at the Amsterdam flower market. i was fascinated simply. I'm not a person who often buys flowers for decorating home. But I was so impressed that I actually bought a bunch of colourful Hyacinths for my VT friend Chris.hh with whom I am staying in Hamburg these days. And I got five beautiful ones just for an euro. And there are not just flowers to buy but a wide variety of cactuses, tulip bulbs, gardening equipments, seeds of flowers, souvenirs and all kinds of decoratives for making your home more beautiful.

• Kettleman's Profile Photo

Tulips everywhere!

by Kettleman Written Aug 24, 2007
    Flower Market

The Flower Market speaks volumes for itself.

We browed most of the stalls and then ended up buying a touristy trinket for our neighbour that was feeding the cats so we could be away; a ceramic clog with bulbs in it!

Plus a load of tulip bulbs for us to plant in the garden. Much cheaper than prices at home and the variety was so much better. No doubt cheaper in a less tourist place, but we are happy. And that's what counts!!!

• betako3's Profile Photo

Flowers in January

by betako3 Written Aug 19, 2007

The first tent we saw

It was cold, it was gloomy and it was drizzling, a fatal combination when you're sightseeing. But then we saw those tents full of flowers, first tulips, then a lot of other kinds. They looked spectacular, and we spent about half an hour going from tent to tent trying to recall names of at least some of those flowers. But there were so many we didn't know. It was January and I couldn't imagine what the place looks like in June!

• rita_simoes's Profile Photo

Tulips, tulips and... more tulips!

by rita_simoes Written Jun 23, 2007

Be sure not to miss it! Here you'll find all possible kinds of tulips, at good prices, and also some interesting souvenirs. And, tulips themselves make a great souvenir! I still have mine in my garden :)

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Ah... the joy of Flowers!

by garridogal Updated Apr 13, 2007

Pretty pansies...

The first time I went to Amsterdam I walked by the Bloemenmarkt on my first morning there while waiting for my hotel room to become available. It was a sleepy Sunday morning and I was a sleepy traveler and didn't snap any pictures of it.

This time I did. And.... I bought some of those tacky, yet adorable, canal home magnets!

• Women's Travel

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Flowers

by ozalp Written Feb 5, 2007

Amaryllis

Flower market is the most atractive part of Amsterdam for me. All the colors and plants simply beautiful. If you like to grow plants, to cultivate, seed and seing them to grow, you'll love this place. You can find many types of tulip bulbs, amaryllis bulbs, seeds, cactuses...

People who work there were very kind. They answer your questions about planting.

• Flowermarket (Bloemenmarkt) where to buy bulbs

by jorgjensen Updated Jan 26, 2007

As a keen gardener and former Amsterdam resident I can tell you where to buy your bulbs. At the world famous flowermarket in Amsterdam you can bulbs in all sorts. Best is to go where the Dutch buy: Kees Bevaart. This shop at the flowermarket sells the best, most beautiful and rarest bulbs. But season only. Here you'll find maybe 40 different Tulips and other special bulbs you can't buy at other stalls or at home.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Blomenmarkt (Flower Market)

by Martin_S. Written Dec 17, 2006

Blomenmarkt (Flower Market), Amsterdam, Holland

This may be one of the more colorful and friendly corners of this big city. Here we found people with smiles on their faces after smelling the blooming plants on sale here. This is well worth your time to find and enjoy, even if you are NOT a flower lover, the smells and colors will attract you for sure.

• Photography

• Rita_'s Profile Photo

A fragant market!

by Rita_ Written May 9, 2006

Flower Stall

This is the only floating flower market in the world, and one of the most fragrant places of interest of Amsterdam - in all seasons. The flower stalls stand on the houseboats. You will find there all sorts of tulips, narcissus and other bulbs and flowers. The bulbs are ready for export, so you can enjoy them at home too

• wayne0k's Profile Photo

Bloemen? Palooza

by wayne0k Updated Mar 8, 2006

Bloemen��� Palooza

Although my Amsterdam holiday was a few weeks prior to the regional flower festivals and harvests, there was still plenty of local color in the Flower Markets of the canal Singel. Here, local merchants display a fresh harvest of "Lucky Chinese Bamboo" along side of bins filled with psychoactive organic mushrooms and packets of seeds from exotically named strains of cannabis.

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Tulips

by fishandchips Written Jan 26, 2006

The national flower of the Netherlands is the Tulip with one nick-name for the Dutch being Tulip Munchers. The history of this name relates back to WW2 when Nazi occupation of the surrounding area stopped food coming in. This forced locals to eat whatever they could including Tulip bulbs. Wierd but apparently true.

The flower market is a phantasmagoria of colour, noice and people. It's worth a visit just to see the action as buyers go after their flowers of choice.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Photography

• yasi's Profile Photo

You want to become a gardner?

by yasi Written Nov 17, 2005

After seeing one more time this place, somebody like me who is not much interested with nature, wnat to become a gardner :)

Its full of different kind, color of flower.

Also according to my brothers endless researches on souvenier shops :) its the cheapest place in town for small gifts :)

Instant Answers: Amsterdam