Madame Tussaud's, Amsterdam

Dam 20 +31-20-5230623

Sam is looking at the Dam Square.
    by Jerelis
    The great viewing window
    by Benson35
    The Spice Girls
    by Benson35
  • mvtouring's Profile Photo

Madame Toussaud's

by mvtouring Written Apr 16, 2004

Madame Tussuad's Wax Museum is located in the center of Amsterdam. Housed in a very large building, it occupies four floors. An entire section is devoted to Dutch History, as well as to the history of Amsterdam. Many European celebrities, sports figures, artists and Royalty are on display there.

Madame Toussaud

• Vanity666's Profile Photo

Madame Tussaud wax museum

by Vanity666 Written Jun 6, 2010

Have your picture taken with Marilyn Monroe, Arnold Schwarznegger, Oprah Winfrey, a Dutch celebrity or prominent historical figures such as Rembrandt or Veneer. If you think you have what it takes to be a professional judge or a pop star, take to the stage at the interactive Idols experience or get into the groove in the funky Music Zone.

If you are into all things new age, go to the floor where Wubbo Ockels, the first Dutch astronaut will welcome you. Also on the same floor you will meet Claas Janszoon, the world’s largest animatronic wax figure at 5metres tall.

For the last stop, go to the top of the building to take in the stunning views of Dam Square and the Royal Palace. Madame Tussauds is a fun family day out.

Opening hours:
    Monday to Sunday 10.00 am – 6.30 pm (entrance closes - 5.30 pm)
    Open in evenings until 24:00 (must reserve in advance).

Prices (subject to change at discretion of Madame Tussaud’s)
    Adult €23,00
    60+ €20,00
    Children 5 - 15 €17,50
    Children up to 5 Free

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Welcome Jan

by mvtouring Written Jun 7, 2004

The welcoming and introduction into Madame Toussaud really impressed me. I called this giant "Onse Jan", because he somehow reminds me of Jan van Riebeeck who landed in Cape Town many moons ago in 165?.

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

Freaky realistic

by rcsparty Written Nov 1, 2006

This wax museum, which is right on the Dam Square, is another must see. It was a great way to spend an hour and the life like figures were amazing. It's probably the one time I forgot my camera, and that was definately a mistake. You can get right next to your favorite stars and realize how short they actually are. Don't miss this.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Madame Tussaud Wax Museam part II

by Joseph69 Updated Sep 8, 2007

The name comes from the lady Marie Grosholz, later known as Madame Tussaud, and she born in Strasbourg in 1961.

In 1770, Marie's mother's employer, a doctor named Philippe Curtius, opens an exhibition of life-size wax figurines at the Palais Royale, in Paris. This is where Marie learns the art of wax modelling from Philippe Curtius.

More pictures to enjoy!

Waxy Prince, real Me, waxy Madonna Princes Diana, Ghandi and more. Lance Armstrong James Brown Swing those hips!

• virattravels's Profile Photo

Meet Julia Roberts!

by virattravels Written Sep 11, 2005

This museum is so famous now, that almost everyone knows about it! But I was not aware that they are now present in Amsterdam also.

Ok now to share a secret - The Iamsterdam card allows you 25% discount on the entrance ticket. But we thought that the price is still a little steep. So we started to walk out but we were approached by one of the museum employees. He asked us "why are you walking away". So we told him that the entrance is steep! He asked us how much we think would be reasonable. We mentioned our price and got to get in at that too!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Madame Tussards Museum - Dam Square

by Mikebb Updated Dec 28, 2012

On a street corner facing Dam Square the Madame Tuscards Museum stands out. The day we visited Dam Square it was very busy with people waiting for entry outside on the pavement. We did not enter the museum.

Madame Tussard Museum, Dam Square Madame Tussaed - Dam Square

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds – Where does the name come from?

by Jerelis Written Nov 19, 2012

Maybe a weird subject to start this tip with, but every time I hear about the Madame Tussauds Museums I just wonder where that name comes from. The answer is just as simple as it gets. The first museum in London was founded by wax sculptor Marie Tussaud and the name used to be Madame Tussaud’s, but the apostrophe is no longer used. Today Madame Tussauds is a major tourist attraction in London, displaying waxworks of historical and royal figures, film stars, sports stars and infamous murderers. But there are also branches in a number of major cities, like in Amsterdam.

I have been to Amsterdam many times and the prominent spot of Madame Tussauds right in the city center always gave me the idea to visit it one day. But the be honest, the entrance fee is rather high in my opinion. Whenever I visit it with my girlfriend and the three kids it will set us back for €95,-! That is a lot of money. Lucky enough we had some discount tickets and in may 2012 I finally visited Madame Tussauds in Amsterdam.

The front facade of Madame Tussauds. Sam and Anne Frank. Iris and the Dutch Queen. Quite a royal picture indeed! Three diva's!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds – An average of three months.

by Jerelis Written Nov 19, 2012

Once we entered the building of Madame Tussauds we immediately felt like we were in another world: the world of the rich and famous. The tour through the museum started with some famous Dutch artists and the Dutch royal family, always a pleasure and a good photo moment I guess. Our children, of course, were intrigued by the royals and some of the Dutch stars they see on the television on a daily bases. The photo camera just kept on snapping shots.

We learned from some publications that the production of a wax figure takes an average of three months once a decision has been made as to who is going to be considered for a wax likeness. They also stated that the production hardly differs from how Madame Tussauds made them herself way back in 1970. There is also a part in the museum where you can make a replica of your own hand in the plaster material, but keep in mind that the queue is rather long here as almost everybody wants this ‘hand’ to be made. Still watching the process is fascinating indeed.

Kissing the famous Gordon. Isis is the president of the USA. Barack Obama. Sam is looking at the Dam Square. Lady Gaga in da house!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds – Mingle with the stars!

by Jerelis Written Nov 19, 2012

We kept on walking through the museum and felt like a guest at Madame Tussauds Amsterdam most exclusive VIP Party. We posed with famous guests such as Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Robert Pattinson and Robbie Williams. Yes indeed, we mingled with the stars! Still we felt that there was not enough interaction at the museum, simply watching the statues does bore a bit after a while and we became resistant for all those star figures around us. At the end the children almost rushed along the plaster stars as they got a bit bored. Finally we were in and out within 70 minutes and that made us realize that the normal entrance fee of €95,- is way too high indeed. For us to make a decision for you whether it is worthwhile to visit Madame Tussauds is not in order, but still … there is so much more to see in Amsterdam and definitely for less money.

Do keep in mind that the opening hours are as followed: daily open from 10:00 am until 17:30 pm. There are some exceptions, but I always wonder why it closes so early. That might be disappointing whenever you are in Amsterdam hiking your way around and decide at the end of the day to visit Madame Tussauds.

How Lady Gaga was made. Overview inside the museum. Who is the famous Dutch soccer player? Sam is playing tennis. Wow! 3 dimensional Spiderman

• Benson35's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds

by Benson35 Written Feb 9, 2012

There are Madame Tussauds all over the world. They all have different actors or singers or VIPs depending on where it is, for example, London, England could have The Beatles whereas Las Vegas, Nevada has Frank Sinatra and Tim McGraw.
    I was over the moon to have a photograph taken with one of my favourite actresses, Julia Robberts!
    When you enter, you explore Amsterdam through the ages. You get the option to go on the 'scary' way or the 'non-scary way' (they recommend people with heart defects and young children to take a different route - that's the 'non-scary' way!!).
    It's actors who pose as wax people and when you get close to look, they move and make you jump! It certainly gets the heart pumping and people screaming!
    The choice it yours!
    There isn't a time limit as to how long you are allowed in there, and there is a great viewing window of the beautiful sqaure below.
    I had a great time! Recommended for a bit of fun!

The great viewing window Robbie Williams The Spice Girls
    • Photography

• chennaismartguy's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds Museum (Wax)

by chennaismartguy Written Apr 16, 2008

Offcourse its can not be compared with Madame Tussauds at London, this is for the people who havent visited at London. Its ok. They have some live perfomance of Pirates of the Caribean.....quite exhiting! Some of the wax statues were excellent, but most of them are ok.

Pick up your mini cards/brouchers at hotel for discount.

Pirates of the Caribean, Madame Tussaud, Amsterdam

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Expensive! Only if you like wax museum...

by heryanta Written Jul 4, 2007

Occupying a beautiful building in a prime spot at Dam square Madame Tussaud's is a hugely popular tourist attraction in Amsterdam.

I personally find it very expensive (Euro 20 for adults) and not worth the money. However, I must concede that I do not like wax museums to begin with and when my mother (who does) visited Amsterdam she enjoyed it very much.

The first part of the museum is rather interesting as they have scenes from the early days of Amsterdam, progressing into the recent years. The other collections include world leaders, Dutch celebrities and sport personalities.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Madam Tussand Wax Museum

by Martin_S. Written Dec 17, 2006

As I said we had limited time in Amsterdam, but we did pass by Madam Tussand's Wax Museum and it had been recommended to us by several people, so I have added it here so you can recognize the building.

Madame Tussand Wax Museum, Amsterdam, Holland

• eternel2002's Profile Photo

madame tussauds museum

by eternel2002 Written Nov 27, 2006

I heard about this museum before, and I want to visit it, eventhough it's a bit expensive than avaerage but it's nice to see all the wax statues of famous people, as politicians, celebrities, players, .. and it also shows and explains a part of the dutsh history with some royal and politician figures.
    If you were looking for a picture with Dalai lama, Jacque chirac or Mr. W then it's your chance. :)

Madame tussauds museum The dam square from madame tussauds museum You know who is this :)

Instant Answers: Amsterdam