Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art, Amsterdam

by spanishguy
    We love Amsterdam!
    by garridogal
  • ozalp's Profile Photo

Contemporary art museum in temporary location

by ozalp Updated May 31, 2007

I've first seen this museum from the boat. But when I decided to visit it I realized knowing the location did not help me to find it. After a long walk on water (!) in a rainy day, I finally reached the building. It reminded me Istanbul Modern, our modern art museum in Istanbul: Same unpainted concrete walls, same cold interior, same high ceilings. But in Istanbul, you don't feel the same. There is nothing but old buildings in Amsterdam. After this historical ambiance, modern art could be a little bit strange.
    I like to see new creations of new artists. Some of them are really impressive. I don't remember all of them but one of the video recordings is unforgettable. I'll tell the history, as could as I remember:
    It is about a homeless man who lived in Paris. He was from a South American country. One day he moved to Paris and started to live there, in streets, of course. Then the story begins: Our man had wanted a cup of coffee from a shop, the owner rejected. Homeless man got undressed to protest him. They put him under control after this incident. After 1 year or a period like that, they released him. Then he went to same café to ask for a cup of coffee. The owner rejected. He got undressed and put in jail or something. This repeated too many times. And authorities decided to deport him. I am not sure but I remember that he died before got deported.

From boat

• Polly74's Profile Photo

Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art

by Polly74 Written Feb 9, 2005

The Stedelijk Museum is one of Europe's most important museums for modern and contemporary art. The Stedelijk Museum has a wide-ranging program of exhibitions. Impressionism, pop art or minimalism: you can see it all in the Stedelijk Museum. It is a dynamic museum that closely follows developments in art, particularly those of the second half of the 20th century. It is famous for the collection of paintings and sculptures, drawings, prints, photography, graphic design, applied art, and new media.
    The Stedelijk Museum is well known for its trend-setting and discussion-provoking exhibitions. Large retrospectives of famous modern artists can be seen, for example, works from Cezanne, Chagall, Picasso and Monet. However, you can also find smaller exhibitions on young artists. A changing selection from the permanent collection can be seen in various arrangements.

In the Museum's cafetteria

• morganna's Profile Photo

STEDELIJK MUSEUM

by morganna Updated Jan 14, 2004

Well, I know this is not really worthful for most of tourists, but if you are interested in modern art or in design, this is the place to go.

The stuff there use to be always changing, so maybe you won't see the same I did.
    I enjoyed a lot with a 60's design exhibition, with posters, furniture and so on.
    Then, in the first floor, there was what I supose is the permanent collection: works by Malevich, Chagall, Mondriaan and so on. If those names doesn't mean nothing to you, don't waste your time there, heh, you won't like it.

The opening times are from 11.00 to 17.00, daily. The tickets costs 7,00 EUR.

Malevich - Suprematism painting

• frantz's Profile Photo

Stedelijk MuseumMuseum of...

by frantz Written Oct 24, 2002

Stedelijk Museum
    Museum of Modern Art
    Incredeble collections of modern art.
    Every few weeks a special exhibition.
    (saw a great exhibition about industrial design of the 50's)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

The Stedilijk Museum

by Jim_Eliason Updated Mar 20, 2005

Amsterdam Museum of Modern Art. This is part of the museumplein area which includes the Rijks Musem and the Van Gogh museum.

Stedelijk Museum

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Hotels Near Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art
4.0 out of 5 stars