Beggars & Scams, Amsterdam

by MBDVB
  • TONY786's Profile Photo

avoid street drug dealers

by TONY786 Written May 7, 2007

many many warnings about men mainly of an african background in groups or alone approaching you to sell cocaine or "sniff" avoid at all costs make sure you are in a group avoid eye contact and if you want such drugs dont buy from them or at all cannabis is tlerated but any other drugs and you may get locked up.picture attached shows one of many approaches made to my brothers and son to buy cocaine. groups are intimidating be on your guard avoid eye contact and late nights on your own or you will get approached and ripped off or worst.

• mkc87's Profile Photo

I amsterdam card is a scam

by mkc87 Written May 30, 2006

The I amsterdam card is a scam, the travel pass is okay, but the rest is a scam. When I tried to enter the Rijksmuseum, I was politely told that the I amsterdam card IS NOT A TICKET, BUT ALLOWS YOU FREE ENTRY INTO THE MUSEUM. So you still have to wait in the HOUR long line. I threw the thing in the trash right there an then. All I can say is DO NOT BUY THIS THING.

Unique Suggestions: All I can say is DO NOT BUY THIS THING.

Fun Alternatives: Simply purchase the tram/bus pass, and the actual tickets to the activities you would like to see in order to skip the lines. Do not buy this pass.

• Posh Taxis at Schipol Taxis beware

by nickydee Written Oct 27, 2005

look we have all been there there the niave tourist, a cheap weeked away, why not, Amsterdam-
    perfect, good nightlife chilled atmosphere. So you arrive, you leave the airport to be greeted by the chauffer driven taxis. So you think well this must be how amsterdam is. There are no normal beaten up black cabs to be seen in amsterdam. You get in the taxi and find your self on an industrial tour of amsterdam that isnt necassary!!!! Then you get to the centre of amsterdam to find a bill for the taxi that can excede 50 euros!!! This is discracefull i say to my patner. But we pay and go on our way. We will never be sucked into the amdam taxis again. The best way to get around amdam is to purchace a I AMsterdam card this will give you loads of travel while your there and get tou in to over 15 tourist attractions free if your into that sort of thing! Alternativly but i a 1 way train ticket aprox 1.5 euro to the central station. But trust me you do not need to take a taxi in amsterdam, everything is well within walkin distance. If you want to get out of the hussle and bussle then buy a book of tram tikets. This is the cheapest way to travel. Oh and dont forget Have fun !!!

Unique Suggestions: ok if you have to go to the redlight district, and anne franks house, The redlight district is fun for the first timer but honestly is just two streets with women in the windows strutting thre suposed stuff. Once youv'e seen it, youlle understand, But yes you cannot go to amdam without this experience. Anne franks house again once youv'e been there you dont have to go back the tour is around 1 hr (beware long queues) and takes you back to a time most of us dont really understand. I will say this though anne franks house is an eerie experience and one i will not forget but i will not go back.

• kazbah's Profile Photo

Beggars

by kazbah Updated Oct 4, 2005

If somebody in the street asks you " Do you speak English " If you say " yes " you are most likely to get some hard up story and " can you give me some change "

Unique Suggestions: I found the best way is to just ignore , don't even look, hey if you don't speak English how you going to know what they are saying

• dc.milo's Profile Photo

Fresh off the Train

by dc.milo Written Oct 14, 2002

My first time in Amsterdam I made the mistake of following some guy to the globe hostel, he wanted us to give him a tip for showing us the way, which he didnt get. On our way out the next day in search of a better priced room we saw the owner giving him a cut of our room price.

• *If you come to Amsterdam do...

by Globies Written Sep 7, 2002

*If you come to Amsterdam do NOT come by car. This could be the start of a ruined holiday... It is extremely expensive to park your car especially in the centre IF you can get a parking space to start with...
    *If one or two men approach you and introduce themselves as policeofficers and want to check your money and passport: DO NOT BELIEVE THEM and walk away!! These people are after you money and are absolutely no policemen!!!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Amsterdam feels as a very safe...

by Gili_S Written Aug 25, 2002

Amsterdam feels as a very safe place. The system put the traditional criminals out of business as they legalise light drugs and prostitution.
    However, try to avoid drug dealer’s offers or someone that offered you to buy bike for 10 f. they are probably stolen and they need the money for drugs.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Some jerk will bump into you. ...

by cjg1 Written Aug 24, 2002

Some jerk will bump into you. then he and a friend will accuse you of spilling their weed and demand payment. And if you just walk away to avoid conflict they will take something you value alot more than those 25 soon to be 50 guilders. Like the glasses right off your friends face.

This has become a very sad town.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam