Tourist Attractions in Amsterdam

by Pijlmans

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Amsterdam

• Heart Broken!!

by perian_princez Updated Apr 21, 2012

This restaurant is owned by thieves! We had to learn this fact at our own expense!Please dont let it also happen to you!
    We niavley went to this novelty restaurant and not only was the food and service of very poor standard but above all we had our video camera stolen from us, vertually in front of our eyes!
    We were the only ones dinning in the restaurant, we had our food and got up to leave and literally before we were 2 metres away realised id left my camera on the table, and went back in to retreive it....it had vanished into thin air within a matter of seconds!!
    I asked the waiter, he looked at me very strangley and said he had not seen a camera!! The manager then came over and shouted at me in a very threatening way and repeated the the same as what the waiter had said and ushered us to leave!!

Unique Suggestions: To say the least we were heart broken as our camera had sentimental footage sorted on it. Anyway please avoid going to this place....unless you strap all your belongings to yourself!!

Fun Alternatives: Aoid this place like the plague! Daarbaand persian restaurant, Amsterdam.

Avoid this place like the bubonic plague!
    • Women's Travel

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

The "IAMSTERDAM" sculpture

by yooperprof Updated Aug 19, 2008

Hey - it's innocuous and harmless - why not get your photo taken at, in front of, or inside - the IAMSTERDAM sign!

It's located on the Museumplein, in between the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum, so you are going to be here sooner or later.

Of course, you will join 10,000 other people who have exactly the same idea as you - especially if it's at all a decent day.

Unique Suggestions: There are plenty of other photo opportunities spread through Amsterdam - some of which aren't even cliches!

it fits her to a Are you really?

• Calling using credit card option in public phones

by fxsalsi Written Sep 15, 2007

Do not even think about using the credit card option which let's you place a phone call using your credit card from public telephones in Amsterdam airport. I just recevived the bill, a 15-second call ( I left a message on an answering machine) to a number in the US cost me 21,65 euros. The telephone company running this scam is infona.com (http://www.infonaa.com) and the number one has to call in the Netherlands to use their "service" is 00-800-99461355.

Fabio

Fun Alternatives: Buy a telephone card from a newsstand even if it cost ten euros and you wil use only part of the credit it will surely be cheaper than using your credit card or just use coins if you have them.

• AVOID those Middle Eastern fast food shops

by MrMonkey Written Aug 16, 2007

These places are everywhere, you can see them all over because they have the same menus and the same signs. Avoid them!!! The food might appear cheap, but really, you get less than what you pay for. Nothing here is good and fresh! If you need lunch on the run, best bet is probably the Albert Heijn supermarket OR an actual lunch restaurant.

• jo104's Profile Photo

FEBO

by jo104 Written Jul 26, 2007

These fast food outlets, recognisable by their yellow signage, are all over Amsterdam but please if you value your health you will resist. All of FEBO's food is deep fried and made up of who knows what cuts of meat mixed with fat served in a vending machine.

The food is placed inside a clear window box the idea being you can view what you wish to purchase but it normally looks unappetising enough. Of course in English culture a kebab is the drunken food of choice for late night munchies so this must be the dutch choice.

The choices are various kroket, frikaddel, hamburger & chicken satay most costing around Euro 1.50 a snack.

Unique Suggestions: My advice is stay away rather buy a hot dog from a street vendor these are delicious or if you must buy kroket purchase them from a reputable place.

Red Light District FEBO

• mangomangu's Profile Photo

You should have known

by mangomangu Written Apr 5, 2007

While Amsterdam is a city tailor made for the cyclists, it has it's own pitfalls. Once you land up in Amsterdam you might be fooled into believing that cycling is the national sport, but it isn't so. Cycle theft is the national sport. You might buy a 60 eruos second hand cycle and might end up investing another 60 euros or more just for the 'secure' locks.
    You might be approached by a total stranger on a cycle offering his ride to you for 10 euros. You might even get tempted to take his offer given your short stay and the flip side of higher daily rents for cycles. But don't. If caught, you are at equal fault as the thief and the penalty is not very pretty. Plus when the buying stops, the stealing too will stop.

Fun Alternatives: Don't ever indulge in or entertain such anti-social elements

• Cycling

• Dubinskyi's Profile Photo

Smartshops

by Dubinskyi Written Jan 23, 2007

Hey guys, if u will ever visit a smartshop DO NOT try anithing called herbal extracts. For example I was trying to understand the difference between Liquid C (they are saying, this *** gives u a coke feeling) and Liquid X (XTC-like). There is NO difference! It contains a LOT of coffeine and can give u a heart attack.

Unique Suggestions: Eat a lot of sugar, and a glass of whiskey - it helped me. May be it will help u...

Fun Alternatives: Better try a couple of Red Bull or, at least, take a mushroom. But *** this liquid extracts!

• davequ's Profile Photo

Mediocre Rijsttaffel for high price @ Indrapura

by davequ Updated Dec 8, 2006

I don't like to do any "tourist trap" tips very often, as I feel it may be unfair, and I may have just had bad timing. But the more I think about it, if it is indeed a "trap" then maybe I can save someone a few Euros, so here goes.

I see Indrapura rated as one of the top rijsttaffels in town a lot on the web. I found it to be disappointing and the most expensive I have ever had.

The evening of 9/19/03 when I ate there, the food was bland (rice tables are supposed to be spicy imho).

The atmosphere was upscale, so that is probably what I was paying for. Nice fixtures and appointments, and a good view out the window at the Rembrandtplein.

But I would prefer Kantjil (see my restaurant tips) or some of the other lesser-appointed places I have been in the past and get a good, spicy rijsttaffel than get what I got, especially when it cost $82 Euros (almost $110 @ current xchange rate) for 2 people.

Just my experience on that particular day in 2003.
    I hope it was just a fluke and if you goto Indrapura you have a great time

Unique Suggestions: Enjoy the view and order cheap.

Fun Alternatives: I have 3 other restaurants listed on my pages under restaurants tab:
    Daves ADam restaurant recommendations

I've also heard Puri Mas is very good, but it's hard to get to them all.

Besides, upon reflection, I think your first Rijsttaffel is always your best if it is at a good place like Kantjil & de Tijger.

overpriced

• mazzap's Profile Photo

Chocs, chocs and more chocs!

by mazzap Updated Jan 12, 2006

What a choice! Could you go in and NOT buy some? I couldn't!

I think this shop was called Puccini, but not sure now - it was tucked away in a backstreet alongside a canal somewhere!

Ok, I have to be honest here - they did actually look better than they tasted - but the choosing bit from the amazing display and the aroma inside the shop was very good!!

And don't expect much change from a few Euros for just a couple of chocs either!

Unique Suggestions: Don't let your eyes get bigger than your belly - just buy a couple - they are larger than usual chocs too!!

Fun Alternatives: These are a nice choccy fix if nothing else is around - but don't expect them to compare with Belgian chocs!!

Chocaholic delight!

• AuTourDuMonde32's Profile Photo

Hotel Vondel ( Vondelstraat 28-30)

by AuTourDuMonde32 Written Dec 20, 2005

Given 4 stars by the Benelux Travel Bureau, which is graded on a curve...
    This hotel is more of a 2 star exepericence, with the obnoxious staff as the ONLY thing reminiscent of a 4 star hotel..
    They don't even let you hold on to you key! Tell me ONE 4 star hotel that carries this policy...!?

Some of the rooms which I passed as they were being cleaned were of a 2 star status...
    but
    I paid for a room which turned out to be on the top floor/ attic that was originally built as a maids quaters..
    The window was so small that it was eclisped by the 13inch television hanging from the wall!
    It was more of a closet than a room, I honestly, honestly could'nt figure out how they even got the mattress inside of it..
    When I complained, 3 minutes after check in, they were enfuriatingly rude and bluntly told me "too late" with a smirk..
    Further-more, they charged my credit card for drinks which I did not take WITHOUT my signature or consent what so ever...
    I did'nt even stay in the room~!
    I took my bags and my pride and told them to go 'uck themselves...
    I did'nt even know that my card was charged for the drinks until my next statement!

and by the way,
    I researched this place via Hotels.com
    which is a sham in itself..

As long as everyone gets out safely,
    I hope this place burns to the ground...

Unique Suggestions: There are plenty of other options in the area~

and ones which are FAR better priced much less far better accomodating..

Fun Alternatives: Hotel d'Amsterdam
    Tweede Helmerstraat

• KattenKabinet

by spetro Written Aug 4, 2005

This "museum" of cat art on Herengracht costs five euros for a few rooms of unlabeled cat art. Their Rembrandt is a postcard-sized pencil sketch in which the cat is hardly visible. To top it off the place reeks of cat urine from the resident cats, one or more of which is using the carpeting for a litterbox.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

The Smallest Art Gallery in Amsterdam (not)

by aaaarrgh Written Jul 6, 2005

Big signs near the Anne Frank Experience point towards the "Smallest Art Gallery in Amsterdam". Which is really a small, plain brick shop/large cupboard with barely passable examples of painting, and souvenirs.

The usual dreadful tat for tourists with no taste!!

Unique Suggestions: Go around the corner to what appears to be the largest ice cream shop in the world(well ok I think the majority of the impressive building is really the Westerkerk, with an ice cream shop stuck on the side, haha)

Fun Alternatives: The Winston Hotel (near the Oudekerk) boasts the 'smallest art gallery in the world', which is actually in the door of their toilet!!

There is also a serious Sunday Art Market in the Spui Square.

kleine kunst

• ashishashar's Profile Photo

Getting into Holland

by ashishashar Updated Feb 11, 2005

I went to India through Amsterdam because I wanted to visit the beautiful country of Holland and took a 7 hour stopover. But I was not allowed entry into the city because I did not have a visa, inspite of the fact that I am a landed Canadian Immigrant. All I wanted to do was take the 2 hours city tour.

Unique Suggestions: Get a visa!

Fun Alternatives: Take a trip in the airport! There is a casino and a museum to entertain you.

• Museum Visits
    • Casino and Gambling

• Boca24's Profile Photo

Zaanse Schans, Zaandam

by Boca24 Written May 16, 2004

This is a town that has tried to keep its heritage. Its got a host of windmills that you can pay to enter and a wooden shoe factory. Really not alot to do there, and a bit out of the way, when I went there were only a few of the 20 windmills open.

Unique Suggestions: At least go into one of the windmills, its absolutely amazing to see climb through and see how they work. They have a variety, for exmaple one that makes oil, one that makes paint, and one that cuts wood.

www.zaansemolen.nl

• PeteP51D's Profile Photo

Techno Music

by PeteP51D Updated Jan 8, 2004

Here's a poster I saw advertising what may or may not be for Techno music,whatever that endless looped /drum machine based stuff is.`. I lean more towards reggae/latin jazz flavors. Anyway, it's only my opinion of the stuff.

Techno music review

The Bridge Hotel
Latest: Jul 21, 2014
Banks Mansion Hotel

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Tourist Traps

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
How to define an Amsterdam Tourist Trap? That is hard because half of the tourista look for classic things like a canal boat ride, the flower market and souvenirs, while the other half is here to...
Map of Amsterdam